PDA

View Full Version : Adkins vs PP

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Pupworth
Sun, Jan-12-03, 10:55
Hello All!

I have read Adkins, and have been following his plan for a week. So far, no great weight loss, but it is that TOM and I figure that is the problem. I have noticed that several people in this Forum are following the Protein Power Plan. One of the things that appeals to me about PP is the fact that it allows alcohol. (Not the sweet stuff or beer, I know) I like to have a cocktail in the evening and wine with dinner, and wonder if this might be a better plan for me.

Can somebody tell the basic differences in Adkins and PP?

Thanks a lot. This is a wonderful, informative, friendly site! :thup:
:wave:

Natrushka
Sun, Jan-12-03, 12:29
Originally posted by Pupworth
Can somebody tell the basic differences in Adkins and PP?
Pup, here's The Thread with the main differences between the two plans:

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=27636&highlight=atkins+Protein+Power+difference

PP is a wonderful book - it explains the ins, outs, hows and why's of LC in both scientific and laymans terms. I'd recommend it as a read regardless of whether you decide to switch or not.

Don't forget that under the link on the right "which low-carb plan is right for me?" you'll find reviews of all the major plans available to you along with some sample daily menus.

Cheers,
Nat

doreen T
Sun, Jan-12-03, 12:59
hi there,

Here's the official word on alcohol/wine from the Protein Power FAQ's:Can I drink alcohol on the Protein Power Plan?

Yes, you can! But, like with everything else, you are limited by your Carbohydrate Maximum. Dry white or red wine (3 oz.) or Miller Lite beer (12 oz.) will cost you 3 or 4 effective carb grams, but are still reasonable choices as long as you count them in your daily totals. Hard liquor will cost you a lot of empty calories. Take it easy and count those carbs! Wine-in moderation-can even help improve insulin sensitivity.

http://eatprotein.com/answers6.html#6aDoreen