PDA

View Full Version : [SS] Former Atkins, Thinking About SS.

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

SnowbirdNJ
Fri, Jan-10-03, 11:03
Hi Everyone, I used to be on Atkins (and was a member of this group but I had problems logging on again) so I had to register again.

Due to a long bout with kidney stones and related surgery I was told that LC was bad for me because of the stones. Turns out (unfortunately a year or so late) that this info was WRONG!

So I'm ready to begin LC again ... hey it was great for my type 2 diabetes because when I was LC'ing I didn't have to take the diabetes medication.

I had been ill since August and in October I was not able to eat more than a mouthfull of food. Whatever I did eat did not stay down. Because of this I did loose weight but not in a healthy way. Before I got sick I weighed around 165 - 168 lbs. and I dropped to 140. In the last week I've gained a few back and you know, I don't want to gain it all back. :eek:

Now that I have been able to eat again my numbers (blood sugar, cholesterol, LDL, etc. have been going up. Dr. has prescribed Lipitor for cholesterol and is re-evaluating my diabetes meds. No way Jose .... I'm gonna LC again and do this (weight loss & health) the right way, without meds.

Now I've just heard Suzanne Sommers on a radio talk show and from the little bit I've heard I think it might be a tad easier than Atkins, is that right? I mean, is all we have to remember is concepts and not have to do any counting? The record keeping was something I found difficult, not the LC eating.

Before I go out to buy the book I thought I'd check in with you guys and see if you could tell me how difficult/easy/? the SS plan is. Oh and which book of hers should I buy if I decide on doing the SS plan?

It's GOOD to be back.

jedigddss
Wed, Jan-15-03, 23:09
Hello Snowbird! :wave:
I am currently switching myself to Somersizing! I see no one has replied yet to your post. Please let me know what you have decided. As far as Somersizing being easier... I think it is all relative. From what I have learned so far, it seems to be a little more involved. ie: You can eat this ... but only if it is 3 hours after that...
Personally, I am very excited about the switch, as I think that Atkins diet may be too drastic for me. I have been going through a lot of hormonal stuff since I started Atkins almost 3 months ago, and I have decided a different low carb program is better for me.
I am looking forward to hearing more about how things are going with you! Good luck on your new journey!
Lisa

KellyG5
Thu, Jan-16-03, 05:56
I think I might give Somers a try too. I have fallen of the LC wagon over the holidays and need to get back on track. I think trying a new a program will help me get excited aabout LC and get back on track.

Are there alot of Somers on the board here? I would like to hear from others who are doing Somers.

Norma June
Thu, Jan-16-03, 08:22
Hi, I"ve changed my identity back to my old one of Norma June. I'm no longer SnowbirdNJ.

I think I might just do a basic Atkins type of LC. I don't want to have to do any counting, food combining, keto sticks, etc.

From when I was on Atkins before I have a list of LC foods which I will use as a guide. I've already rid my cupboards of whatever :nono: foods that have accumulated over the holidays.

So that's basically what I'm doing, just good old fashioned LC eating combined with portion control, water drinking and exercise.

jedigddss
Thu, Jan-16-03, 09:38
Kelly~ :wave:
Unfortunately there are not a lot of people on this board who do the Somers LC program. However, she has a website of her own www.suzannesomers.com
I have been 3 days on her program and finally lost a lb. (I was "stalled" for over a month. On her program, you are allowed fruits and some carbs. Have you read any of her books? I am really excited about trying something different. Feel free to PM me if you would like to talk about Somersizing. I am not an expert (YET!) But I would love to give you any info I have!

Norma~
Best of luck back on the low carb wagon. I wish you much slimness in the near future!!

Lisa :roll:

KellyG5
Thu, Jan-16-03, 10:11
I just got her new book Fast and Easy from the library. I started reading last night. I am really looking for new recipes. So when I find a keep I like I am going to copy them down before I return it to the library.

I like the idea of adding a few carbs (good ones..not the bad ones) Seems like her program is a bit confusing. Eating carbo meals, pro/fats, eating fruits on empty stomach, then not eating for hour. I think I am going to have to re-read it a few times to really understand the whole program.

First thing I have to do, no matter what program I am going to follow is to stop drinking coffee. I think that is what is holding me back from reaching my goal. It seems like once I lose a few pounds, they come back on even when I am LC. It has to be the coffee.

I really hate to give that up. I enjoy my coffee in the mornings. Not that I NEED it to get going in the mornings. I just look forward to greeting the morning with a hot cup of coffee.

In her new book I saw the recipe for Cheeseburger Pie, I think I am going to make that for dinner tonight with a salad on the side. I need recipes that the whole family will love!

I am also looking for a "fun" friday meal. We always make our own pizza on friday nights. It has become a family tradition. I usually restrict my pizza to one slice, or not have any at all. But I would like to replace that friday night fun meal to something different that is LC or Somers friendly.

Foxeylady
Thu, Jan-16-03, 11:18
I have been somersizing since last may (6 Months), but I totally went off the wagon during Christmas, so now I am looking into Atkins and sort of doing a mixed Atkins/Somersizing WOE. I never did eat the high carb/fat free meals that Somers recommended. What is the point of having an whole grain bagel if you cant have butter or cheese on it? I didn't want to eat fat free products since it is overprocessed and full of stuff I cannot pronounce. Now, I occasionally have a baked good, or cereal made with low carb alternatives (soy powder, flax meal, almond powder) and I have it with fat (butter, cheese, clotted cream!)! I still occasionally eat fruit alone and I put no limit on how many low carb veggies I eat. I can't see myself ever getting into protein shakes or bars or buying atkins baking mix. I totally refuse to start purchasing high priced products with someones name on it, weither it's Somers or Atkins! I also cannot see myself spending a lifetime counting every carb I put in my mouth.

This probably has just confused you more. Sorry! If you have any questions about Somersizing, I'd be happy to help out. It worked for me. I lost 16 punds in 6 weeks!

shoshie
Thu, Jan-16-03, 18:07
Oh my I just made her cheesecake yumm. it is so good. I switch from atkins to ss just this week. so far the only difference i am seeing is that i eat a little fruit. And it really is good. Stacey

KellyG5
Thu, Jan-16-03, 18:07
I like alot of Somers recipes. As for the high carb/no fat meals, I will stick with the low carb/protien meals. Otherwise known as meat and veggie meals.

I know what you mean by buying protien shakes/protien bars with someone's name on them. One thing I didn't like about Somer's book Fast and Easy...it sounded so much like an infomerical for her products. I am not going to buy somer-sweet or any of her other product. I like her program, but I am not going to be buying her things.

I have only read Fast and Easy. I would like to check out her other books at the library (I don't even buy the books!)

Tonight I made the Cheeseburger Pie. It was great! 1 out 3 kids actually liked it. My kids are very fussy eaters so with one liking it, I was very happy.

shoshie
Thu, Jan-16-03, 18:10
I did buy the sommersweet. it is like splended(sp?) anyway it doesn't leave an after taste. And it worked well in the cheesecake. Stace

Foxeylady
Fri, Jan-17-03, 07:14
When I first started SS I signed up for her e-mailed newsletter, thinking it would be info and tips and advice. NOT! It was links to where you could buy her low-carb ketchup, dressings, mixes, etc...etc... I unsubscribed. I did buy one of her books and found it great. " Eat, cheat and lose weight". Wonderful recipes, no odd ingredients. I lent it to my sister in law last summer and haven't got it back, so I must start bugging her about it! Anyway its a great, very healthy plan, since you aren't giving up any food groups, just sugar. It is slower than Atkins, but more do-able over the long run. Also, You don't have to count carbs.

KellyG5
Fri, Jan-17-03, 07:27
I like her plan, and feel I can use this the rest of my life. Ut I am disappointed in her website and her book Fast and Easy. Just seems like she is selling her products.
I do like the concept of her idea. I am sure is it a slower way to lose weight, but slow and steady wins the race :p

I am sticking to more of the pro/fat meals. I just made her cheeseburger pie for dinner last night. I loved it! Even my kids liked it.

I do like the idea of having a carb meal in the morning (if I choose to do so) I feel great when I can have a hot bowl of oatmeal in the mornings.

About 4 years ago, I started to lose my weight by SS without even knowing it. I never read any diet books, let alone a low carb book.

For breakfast I would have a bowl of oatmeal.
Lunch would be salad with tuna or hard boiled eggs
dinner usually was meat ad veggie, but I wasn't "lowCarbing" then so I used more of potion controll then LC. And then I wouldn't eat after 7:00

With that plan, I lost about 20 pounds without doing alot. After I lost 20 pounds I started reading LC books and fine tuning my WOE. I lost another 25-30 pounds. That was 3 years ago. I kept most of the weight off, but now I gained 10 pounds in the last couple of months.

I wanted to find a new program to get me excited about this WOE and that is how I decided to try Somersize.

shoshie
Fri, Jan-17-03, 18:19
I really liked the fact that you can either buy some of her products or she does give her recipes in her new book. I did buy the somersweet and it really has a sugar taste. It doesn't leave an after taste. I like it in my coffee. And I gave some of my friends the cheesecake, they loved it didn't beleive it wasn't made with sugar.

I also am now losing very slowly if at all because of meds that I am taking.
Stacey

Ivy
Tue, Jan-21-03, 09:23
Hi girls ::smile::

I am totally new here...But, I have been researching both Atkins and Somers...I too think I am going to try and incorperate both types of diets in my life...Starting with atkins and very slowly work my way into SS...I'll stop the SS additions when I hit stalls..See what works for me and what doesn't...

I have hung out daily on the Somers board for about 2 weeks... A few things I found interesting.. I read from a few of her long time fans...One was the observation that her latest few books (one specifically for deserts) Seems to have caused a lot of people to stall...Even though they are made from artificial sweetners...I guess with anything the key is moderation ::sigh:: lol ...I had also seen where a few had said they had lost a lot more weight with her first 2 books (not sure what they are but, plan on finding out)

Most definitley Somers is into selling her products...However, from cruising the recipe boards..I have gotten great recipes for taco seasoning,ketchup, german sweet mustard....Just tons of ideas!..Good luck!

KellyG5
Tue, Jan-21-03, 09:46
I really like Somers plan, I just don't like the idea of her "selling" her products to me while I am reading her book. As if I didn't spend enough on the book.

As for her recipes, I love them! I have been using her Fast and Easy book. I want to get another one of her books.

As for the artifical sweets she makes, I just choose to stay away from all treats. I think that is where the stalls can start. I stick with her pro/fat recipes. I do have oatmeal once or twice a week for breakfast, that is nice for a change.

I like her Eggs Florentine with Bearnaise sauce. Hubby and the kids even liked it.

My mom is doing Atkins, I am trying to get her to switch to Somers because she really misses eating fruit.

jedigddss
Tue, Jan-21-03, 11:14
I am doing about 1 meal every other day a somers meal. It hasnt been a week yet, but I can honestly say I feel generally good, whereas I was not feeling 100% on Atkins. I think perhaps my body needs a little more carbs than what is permitted on Atkins. The best thing...after being stalled on Atkins for 1 1/2 months... on Somers for 1 week I have lost 1.5 lbs. Yippee! :cheer:

Ivy
Tue, Jan-21-03, 12:04
Well alright Jedi! Hope you don't mind...But, I think I'm going to keep an eye on you and see how your transition goes...Sounds like your taking it slow.....If your doing one pro/fat meal of Suzannes every other day...Is there a big difference in that meal as compared to an Atkins meal?

Never thought I'd envy someone eating an apple! Ha Ha

best of luck!

jedigddss
Tue, Jan-21-03, 14:41
Hi Ivy!
I meant to say I am doing one carbos/veg meal every other day. NOT a pro/fats meal every other day. I am generally doing Atkins meals(aka somers' pro/fats meals)90% of the time. NO, I havent eaten fruit yet :( but hopefully soon. I work 7 days/week and the hours have not allowed me to get a nice piece of fruit in (mainly because you have to eat them on an empty stomach, and my stomach is rarely ever "empty" as per somers WOE, so I cant fit it in) Hopefully soon! I am looking forward to progressing on this WOE, too. I'll keep you posted on the progress!!!
:wave:

KellyG5
Tue, Jan-21-03, 15:28
Hi Jedi!
I guess I am doing the same thing as you. I am sticking to Somers' pro/fat meals most of the time, and adding one carb meal (usually breakfast) 1-3 times a week. It has been working out pretty good for me.

Ivy
Tue, Jan-21-03, 16:21
Actually I had read in one of her books that this very thing had happened to her....She was coasting along on level 1 and suddenly stalled, couldnt drop any more weight...She said she completely stopped eating carbo meals in hopes of loosing more....She either gained weight or continued to stall (can't remember which)....She talked to her Dr/nutritionist about it...Who suggested that she add a small baked potatoe to her diet occasionally...It worked, she started loosing again...So her carbo meals must be your baked potatoe lol

jedigddss
Tue, Jan-21-03, 16:29
Same here. I added a whole grain cereal a few days for b-fast in the last week, and maybe next week I will do a couple of dinner meals perhaps. Keeping it interesting... :thup:

shoshie
Wed, Jan-22-03, 12:32
wow my dr. just said yesterday to add a sweet potato once in awile. I guess it must work.Stacey

Krisperz
Thu, Jan-30-03, 22:47
I have to agree that "Eat Cheat and Melt the Fat Away" is an awesome book. Although Suzanne tends to repeat herself over and over, it is an excellent book. I feel like she's talking directly to me, and not trying to use big words like Dr. Atkins does. Also, she includes TONS of recipes in the back. I haven't tried any yet, but I can't wait! Usually, it's another book you have to buy for recipes. I've only been on the diet for 4 days, but when I'm LC'ing it, I feel so much better and I'm not so tired and sleepy all the time. I have hypoglycemia, so LC'ing is a must. Hopefully, I can stick w/ SS and lose all the weight that I've gained in the last 2 years. Louisiana is NOT the place for dieting...this is the land of FOOD! I'll have to at least try the cheesecake, tho. Thanks! :wave:

Krisperz
Thu, Jan-30-03, 22:49
you're before and after pics are great! Talk about some inspiration! Thanks!

KellyG5
Fri, Jan-31-03, 07:01
Thanks for the compliment. I lost my weight thorugh low carb and working out. I have to admit, it was just on diet alone.

I did put on a few pounds (5-10 pounds) since that picture was taken. So I am working hard to get back to that image again.

I also feel so much better when I am low carbing. I have engery, and I "feel" thinner. Once I get carb loaded no no's I feel terrible. So why do I still eat that junk????

Society plays a big role for me on why I cheat. If I don't have the bun with my burger, I feel like I am not eating the whole meal. Not because I am still hunrgy, but because society makes us believe we NEED the bread, or the potatoes or the dessert to have a complete meal.

So I need to re-train my brain to think for itself, and not what society or culture thinks I should or shouldn't be eating.

Krisperz
Sun, Feb-02-03, 01:56
At least that's why I cheat...haha. I cheated the other day when I went eat sushi, but aside from the rice & the sauce (haha), it's healthy! If they didn't taste so darn good, we wouldn't eat them. After I've been on the low carb thing for about a week, I don't crave sugar as much, but I sure would love to bite into a Snicker bar right now. haha I love being able to stay awake at work AT NIGHT. It's so embarrassing to fall asleep at work in the middle of conversation w/ your coworkers. I'm hypoglycemic (I think I mentioned that before) & sugar is the devil for a hypoglycemic. Low carb diets are the only diets that help me a) lose weight & b)stay awake. I hope this time I can stick to it long enough to see a big enough difference so that it makes me want to keep on truckin' along!

A thin me!
Sun, Feb-02-03, 17:52
Hi

I too, have been thinking about SS -- I did do great on Atkins, but after a while, it became difficult and to be honest, a bit boring plus, I was under a great deal of stress.

I both two books of her, the Fast and Easy, and her new one. I saw her on HSN, of course, showing all of her foods, gadgets and etc.

My impression so far of my reading, is that most people on this WOL lose slower... due to the "treats" and things she offers. Also, I have to admit that the waiting after fruit or combo thing is a bit confusing.

Correct me if I am wrong :

But, she is LC? So therefore, if we do a combo of Atkins/SS - we can use her recipes -- right? Her basic principal is that similiar to Atkins or am I miss reading her????

Let me know your thoughts. I am glad I found this thread and hopefully, we can work on this together.

ATM

Foxeylady
Mon, Feb-03-03, 06:19
Yes, somersizing is definately low carb, but you don't count carbs which is nice. It also doesn't cut out entire food groups, like bread and fruit. You do not limit low carb veggies, and you are not dependant on vitamin supplements. I am conbining Atkins and somersizing in that I am having low carb baking substitutes (soy flour, flax meal, nuts, etc) with fat (butter, cream cheese, etc) on SS nuts are considered funky and you do not combine carbs with fat. I found I never had carb meals on SS anyway. The fruit thing takes a bit of getting used to, but it is so nice to have fruit for a change and if you eat them alone they do not affect your weight loss. I usually have just fruit for breakfast, or a mid afternoon snack, but only once a day! It'samazing how sweet fruit tastes now, its like candy, so I'm limiting it more and more. Good luck!

KellyG5
Mon, Feb-03-03, 06:48
SS takes bit to get use to. But I think it is great! Nothing is totally off limits (except for her funky food list)

I try to stick to the LC meals for the most part. And if I want a carb meal, it is usual breakfast. And like what foxy said, I will have a piece of fruit mid afternoon (few hours before supper) It is a great treat.
As long as you keep the fruits/carbs away from the pro/fats the diet works great. You just can't combine the carbs and the pro/fats

Krisperz
Mon, Feb-03-03, 08:01
The fruit is definitely a treat! :thup: If I lose the weight slow becuz I'm able to eat fruit and carbs that Atkins doesn't allow for, that's ok! At least I'll be able to lose weight at all. I was beginning to feel like I was gaining 2-3 lbs a week and now I'm finally losing some and feeling better. I'm not tired like I used to be, and I can function all day long (or all night at work.)

This diet is so much easier to follow than Atkins in the way that I can eat so much more and there's no 2 weeks of "initiation" so to speak. I hate counting those carbs. Counting anything stinks. I know there's Level 1 & Level 2, but after trying Atkins, Level 1 is a breeze! :cool:

I've only been on the diet for a week. I don't think I'm gonna weigh myself for a while. Feeling free-er in my clothes is proof enough for me! :D

jedigddss
Mon, Feb-03-03, 13:05
This seems to be the most popular simersizing post... just want to let you all know I have lost 3 lbs since I started somersizing a couple of weeks ago... I am very psyched... I had a 6 week stall on Atkins, and now that I have added in a carbos meal every other day, the weight is finally slipping off
TY Somers! :p

Spang
Thu, Feb-06-03, 19:05
Hi everyone!

I'd thoroughly recommend the Montignac plan for those of you considering Sommersizing... I think that the Sommersize plan is based mainly on Montignac, from what I've read.

Spang

Spang
Thu, Feb-06-03, 19:10
OOooops!

I forgot to mention, if you are interested, the Montignac plan was devised by a doctor who specialized in Type 2 diabetes - for thw diabetics on this thread... and you can eat certain kinds of chocolate - for the chocoholics on this thread;)

spang

A thin me!
Fri, Feb-07-03, 08:05
Can I have some information on this, please?

I am not familiar with this.

Thanks.

Spang
Fri, Feb-07-03, 13:08
Hi there

Love the Hello Kitty :)

Montignac Method in a couple of sentances...

Michael Montignac is a French doctor, who discovered the link in his Type 2 diabetes patients that when they picked their foods carefully, they were able to regulate the insulin levels in their blood much more effectively. A "side effect" of this insulin control was that the pounds began to shed.

Thus came about the principle of Glycemic Index, the lower the GI of the food, the less of a spike and trough in the blood sugar level, the easier the food is to digest, cholesterol levels improve.... leading to weight loss.

Like many of these diet plans, it is based on 2 phases. Phase 1 is based around eating very low GI foods (less than 35 or so), for the body's metabolism to be able to revert to the proper state, and insulin release controlled. This is where you lose weight fast, but not as fast as plans like Atkins. Phase 2, where you can eat a wider variety of things, as the body's insulin release works properly, so can digest more things. This is the weight maintaining "phase" and is intended to be how you eat for the rest of your life.

The first Montinganc book, Eat Slim.... and Stay Slim (or something like that) goes into a lot more detail. http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1893162052/qid=1044643901/sr=8-3/ref=sr_8_3/103-1937263-7869465?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

To evolve this diet further, contemporary thinking is placing more importance on the Glycemic Load of foods, rather than Glycemic Index. Glycemic Load is the concentration of carbs in a typical serving of food.

A really good resource from Gylcemic Load is here:-
http://www.mendosa.com/gi.htm

And this website also recommends this book (which I have yet to check out) http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1569245061/ref=cm_wl_ovu-pg.1-pos.6/103-1937263-7869465?v=glance&coliid=IXHVNMFKSTJ75&me=ATVPDKIKX0DER

I mentioned Chocolate. It is acceptable to eat chocolate with high cocoa solids in it (over 70%) - basically dark chocolate. Red wine is also acceptable.

A quick run down of bad foods from the top of my head:-
High Fructose Corn Syrup
Any kind of soda, diet or otherwise
Beer
Potatoes
cooked carrots
overcooked pasta
certain types of rice
Butter
Refined foods (including sugars, bread / wheat, cereals etc)

The diet is less about counting calories, carbs, dietary suppliments, and to a certain extent choosing food groups. It is more about fresh ingredients, and changing eating habits for life.

I've been on this plan for about 7 months, and have lost about 30 lbs. I consider myself to be on a mix of phase 1 and phase 2 right now, as I have widened my food choices, and have maintained my weight loss for about 2 months, including a 1 week lapse over Christmas, when I didn't put a lb back on, despite eating badly. According to Montignac, this is perfectly normal once you have "reset" your body's metabolism.

I'm Engllish, and have been living in the US for a while, and I've noticed that whereas Montignac is quite well known in Europe, it is relatively unheard of in North America. In the US, it seems to be eclipsed by plans such as Sugar Busters of Sommersizing - which to me seem to be borrowing much from Montignac. For example - try finding a description of Montignac on this website under the "Which plan for me?" Quick link...

In fact, in the preface to Sugar Busters! it even says they copy Montignac...

I hope this helps! Good luck with whatever you choose!

Spang

Mamabeek
Wed, Feb-12-03, 01:41
I've been having fun reading through this forum, and this thread in particular. I have never been on a "diet" before, just dropped weight by cutting sweets and junk and exercising more in the past. I've eaten fewer and better carbs for the last year or so, but finally, after climbing back up to my highest weight ever, I decided to follow a few rules in hopes of getting some consistancy.

I started Somersizing three weeks ago and have lost 13 pounds so far! I started losing after three days, so I'm pretty pleased with the whole thing. The diet is a little too high fat for my tastes, so I do lower fat dairy and lean meats. I despise non-fat dairy though, as other people here have found, I found it hard to do SS carb meals. I have had luck with Ezekiel cinnamon raisin bread (pick out the raisins) with nonfat cream cheese and Hi-Lo Back to Nature cereal, which is a little sweet without added sugars in some skim milk. For breakfast about three times a week I do a fruit smoothie first thing in the morning, go for a power walk, and then have a bowl of cereal or slice of toast. Otherwise I do pro/fats breakfasts of eggs, cheese and veggies.

I was kind of surprised at how many people said they felt more energetic on SS. I've been so tired since I started. I am not measuring ketones in my urine, but must be in ketosis because I am losing so fast and get so tired when I'm hiking or walking. Probably because I did almost no carbs the first two weeks because I couldn't combine them with fats. I do eat at least one fruit meal or snack every day though, or I drink orange or apple juice instead of one of my between meal glasses of water.

These last few days I've slowed down quite a bit, but I think it's because I got my order of chocolate truffles from the SS website and have had one each day, or I do a cup of SS hot chocolate with Splenda and whole milk. Guess I can't do that daily and still lose. :( Had unbuttered popcorn at the movies the other day because I wasn't sure if it was ok, and NOTHING else was, that's for sure! It wasn't. Oops.

Anyway, I really like this program because I can have some of almost everything, so I know it's balanced and my hormones aren't going to go nuts and it's not so high in proteins I'll get gout. But the key for me is that there are plenty of legal sweets that are NOT cheating, so I don't crave.

Now I just fret about my calcium/phosphorous ratios and wonder where I can get a good Calcium supplement that isn't chock full of sugar?

Marda
Mon, Feb-17-03, 23:25
Just bought Sommer's fast and easy book. I don't mind her selling. For me it's a service when I don't have to figure it all out or can buy something edible and tastey already made. (Atkin's baking mix is to die for when I just have to have a pancake) I haven't purchased any of her products, but will be trying some. I've had some health challenges and I'm finding that her combining seems to be much easier on my digestion. I also have been diagnosed with Type II Diabetes and have controlled it for two years with a modified Atkins but have devloped osteopenia and my gut just started to rebel at all the meat I was eating. I even considered vegan low-carb but don't think I can ever get there. Sommer's seems to be more balanced and she is remarkably intelligent in her discussions on insulin. I was surprised and impressed by her knowledge. Her start up is very low-carb and I'm finding that if I'm careful to combine as she suggests, it doesn't spike my blood sugar or hurt my stomach. I have been off-line for quite awhile trying to figure out how to proceed without taking major medication. I would like to participate on this thread and I'll let you know how it's going with me. I'm in the process of getting completely on her start-up, but don't know how I'll get off caffeine.

revabud
Sat, Mar-15-03, 04:56
Hi,

I am totally new here, so I am, kind of, introducing myself by putting in my two cents worth.. lol (and we all know what that is worth! )

I have about a gazillion lbs to lose. I didn't put the accurate amount down on the form, because I can't look at the real numbers yet.

I digress.. lol

I like most everyone am combining both atkins/somersizing.

Kelly, I agree with you about her "selling" in the fast & easy book. DROVE ME CRAZY!! Not withstanding, I liked the recipes..

I have all her books... the 2 best, imho, are EGLW and Get Skinny. They have good info, without all the selling, and the recipes aren't so sweet or creamy. Of course, this is IMHO...

I am just now getting back on an eating plan. So I will let y'all know how it works... I have to lose way over 100 lbs.. so I will be here for awhile........

thanks
reva

KellyG5
Sat, Mar-15-03, 07:07
Hi Reva...welcome!
It doesn't matter if you have alot of weight to lose or a little. You have to do it one day at a time. Or one meal at a time.

I have lost over 50+ pounds a few years ago by LCing. Kept most of it off, but in the last 6-9 months, the pounds started to add up again. So I am back to lose 10-15 pounds. So even though my stats look like I only just started this way of eating..I have been doing it for awhile.

I am still new to the somersizing woe. I like to have oatmeal in the mornings. So if I keep my pro/fats away from the carbs I should do pretty well.

CraftyGirl
Sun, Mar-16-03, 15:36
Hi everyone!

I decided today that I want to start back on SS. I was introduced to SS's WOE the summer of 2001 and did very well on it. I lost 20lbs. I couldn't believe it. It was slow, but very steady weight loss. (1 lb to 2lbs a week) Since the fall of 2001, my eating has become very relaxed and as a result I gained back the 20lbs.....PLUS another 20ish! I about died when I got on the scale this past Christmas holiday! I said to myself this absolutely ridiculous!! I will turn 30 later this year and I want to feel good again and be healthy!!

I have been doing Atkins since 2/10/03 am I very discouraged. I decided to start out on Atkins to help jump start my weight loss. So much for that brilliant idea!! I am down a total of 4 lbs. Not really what I call a jump start. :rolleyes: Over the past 5 weeks I have lost, gained, and stalled. I have lost inches from my bust, waist, hips, but....I want the darn scale to move!

I know LC'ing works for me, but I think my current eating plan still needs some tweaking. I am going to go back to SS for 2 weeks and see if my results will change. :roll:

Mamabeek
Sun, Mar-16-03, 17:33
I know exactly what you mean, it's nice to see the scale move, but if you are losing inches then you are LOSING FAT! That's all that matters, right? So Atkins did work for you after all.

Did you happen to increase your activity levels at the same time you changed what you were eating? Remember that muscle weighs more than fat, so you can lose fat while gaining muscle and actually GAIN weight while losing inches. If you stick to either plan I think you'll lose just as you did before.

Out of curiosity, what made you slide back into your old eating habits after losing on the SS plan before? I really hope to Somersize for the rest of my life, or at least stay low carb anyway. The food has been so good, overall better than my diet before I started, that it seems as if it should be easy to keep eating this way indefinitely. I can see myself cheating with a dessert here and an extra glass of wine or two there, but not going back to bad carbs and junk food. I'm curious what made you slip. Just wondering what to look out for, 'cause we're all in the same boat! :)

And welcome Reva! :wave: You'll find everyone here really helpful and supportive. May you reach your goal and stay there!

CraftyGirl
Sun, Mar-16-03, 19:29
Mamabeek,
Thanks for your reply. :) To answer your question about how I "slipped" - it's easy. I got lazy. I was so proud of myself for losing and I was feeling good about my body etc... I felt like I could treat myself to eating what I wanted. Plain and simple - I fell back into old eating habits. It doesn't help that I suffer from mild depression either and I am a food addict. Food is how I cope with EVERYTHING. Food addiction is the hardest thing I have ever had to deal with. However, I am getting stronger and learning to handle and manage my impulses much better these days.

I have learned that I can't blame my weight issues on anyone else but me. I have used my parent's divorce, my Father's obessive behavior about my weight amongst other things for causing/perpetuating my weight problem. I can not do that anymore. I am an adult and responsible for my own behavior. I am overweight b/c of the food choices I have made. Don't mean to get too deep on ya here! :) (i guess I have read/watched too much Dr.Phil!!)

I hope this helps! It wasn't a specific food or an event that triggered me. It was a number of past issues I hadn't really been able to wrap my mind around yet. OR wanted to wrap my mind around for that matter. I am slowly learning to deal with my food issues and I feel confidant that I am making some real progress. I have decided to embrace this WOE b/c I know it works too!

KellyG5
Mon, Mar-17-03, 09:53
Craftygirl...Glad you came back to LCing, you know it works! And you know you feel better while LCing.

I know I gained 10-15 pounds int he past year because I too got 'laxed" about LCing. PLUS, my workout routine went from working out tat the gym 5-6 times a week down to 0 times a week.
While I was working out, I would be able to eat a few more carbs during the day because I was buring them off, but once I stopped working out, I didn't re-adjust my carbs and the weight slowing crept up on me.

Now I am LCing PLUS working out at the gym again! YEAH! so I am heading in the right direction to be "the best ME I can BE in 2003" :) :D :)

Mamabeek
Mon, Mar-17-03, 11:24
But just as I asked that question CraftyGirl I found my own way of screwing up my diet. :mad: Suzanne writes about loving her Grapenuts and having them whenever she wants, with skim milk. Well I've always loved Grapenuts but quit eating them because they were so hard on my teeth. I looked at the ingredients and they said "wheat flour" which is not ok. But on the FAQs on Suzanne's site it says that though Post was not allowed to say "whole wheat" on their ingredients because of something they do to the grain, it is intact in terms of the husks and phytochemicals, so it is indeed legal. So I got some and let it soak a little in skim milk and heated it. Oh my, oh my, oh MY! Now my problem is that it tastes so good I've had a carb breakfast every day for three days and I can't stop at one bowl, either! I found myself wanting "just a little bowl" before bed last night too.

ARRRRRGH! I should have stuck to my Hi-Lo, which fills me up so much I don't want another bowl and I only have it a couple of times a week. And it's been raining for several days here so I haven't been walking, just using my thighmaster and doing a few crunches is all. Anybody got a long enough leg to reach out here and kick me in the kaboose? :D

KellyG5
Mon, Mar-17-03, 12:49
You asked for it...so here you go....[thwap] that is a kick in the kaboose! LOL :p

Now you learned something...first you LOVE grapenuts heated up a bit...wonderful breakfast carb meal!
Second thing you learned....It is so good that it triggers a craving for it. Is it a true "carb" craving? Or more of a mental craving?

I believe there are two types of cravings. first being a carb craving, triggered by high and low of blood sugar. This is a physical type of craving.

Second being...a mental craving. You can't pass by a donut shop with out craving a donut, or the smell of a certain food causes cravings. THis has to be mental because i don't think smell can raise your blood sugar...but yet when I smell bread baking it just makes we want it more. I think we have learned from the smell that we want the food.

I could mention the PMS cravings but I think that has alot to do with change in blood sugar with the change in hormone levels. I would group this with carb type of cravings.

Don't ask me how to stop either one of these types cravings, but figuring out what type of craving you have is a step in the right direction.

There are foods I consider "danger" foods for me. I can't eat one serving without sending my body into a carb craving afterwards. And of course most of things on my "danger" list are big NO NO's to start with. But I am tempted (usually at social situations) to have a small taste. Then I am doomed the rest of the day. A downward spiral.
On the list:
gummi candy
cake
bread- rolls (usually alone dinner roll type of thing)
cereal
chips
pretzels
popcorn

All these foods are no no food, but I can't handle just one bite of them or I am doomed the rest of the day.

Mamabeek
Wed, Mar-19-03, 21:23
Yesterday a box came in the mail from my sister. I couldn't remember her saying she was sending anything, so I ripped into it excitedly. Uh oh... now I remember. Her receptionist's daughter was selling girl scout cookies and I bought FIVE boxes! That was back in December, before I started this diet, and I completely forgot about them. My hubby was happy to take them all to one of the offices where he works and put them in the break room, but here we have an example of that mental craving thing you're talking about.

You think a mother lion is fierce? HA! Try taking a box of Thin Mints away from me! I could let all the others go, but not those. I like them frozen and they're so small I thought I could have just one. Yeah right. I didn't crave any old carb after that, I craved THIN MINTS! And I should have known from past experience that my idea of a serving is one sleeve, not four cookies. Sigh. No, I didn't eat them like that, but I had two servings yesterday and one today and I'll be really lucky if I get to be tonight without another one. :help:

I asked :tears: :tears: to take the other box to the office tomorrow (there are two) but the other one is open... Unless someone breaks into my house and steals them (at gunpoint) I see no way out of this dilemma. I'll be completely honest, I am not strong enough to throw them away. AKK! Just typing that makes me have heart palpitations. I think it might be sacreligious to throw Girl Scout cookies away! So tell me, is it better to eat a serving a day for a week or just snarf the whole danged box tonight and get it over with? :tears:

KellyG5
Thu, Mar-20-03, 05:39
I also had a Girl Scout thin mint problem a little while ago. My girls are all in brownies. Right before we went to Florida on vacation, my house was filled with cookies. We bought 6 boxes. I caved in and had some thin mints, but that was because I took them with us on the trip and we were stuck in the airport.
Gee..now I am justifying why I ate them....bad!

I like to think... I eat healthy LC 90% of the time. Faithful to my ways, and then for the other 10% of the time I shouldn't feel guilty what I eat.

You can look at it...9 days of healthy LC and one day off...or 9 healthy meals in row...and one meal off.

It isn't what you do today....it is what you do every day.

Mamabeek
Thu, Mar-20-03, 13:29
My sister pointed out that it matters not how I eat them because we'll all weigh the same in a 100 years, right? HA! She's got so much stress right now she's in comfort food land with her hands over her ears saying "I can't HEAR you!" while she eats. Not the best source of advice just now.

I got my dh to take the other box away today (had a strong moment as he was leaving) and now have just one sleeve left. I'll portion them out a serving per day around mid morning (gee that's NOW! :) ) so I have all day to burn them off. Down half a pound today (but was up three after the cookies and the overdo on the grapenuts) so my willpower is better. Now why is it that losing weight makes you more likely to lose more weight and gaining weight makes you less likely to stick to your diet? Shouldn't it be the other way around?

Oh well, back on the wagon and have a box of sugarfree meringues (Splenda) on the way to use for future weak moments.

Thanks for the support!

lowcarbjo
Thu, Mar-20-03, 15:57
I have been on Atkins for many months...lost 23 lbs!! ya hoo!! then I went on a trip to Mexico and blew the plan to the high heavens... not only that but I continued to eat poorly since I got home last month! My mother-in-law to be showed me the SS's get skinny book as she was now on it and knew that I'd been on Atkins. Well the plan looks sooo good. The real seller for me is that I can have fruit... anykind!!! I love that!! I have a bowl of cut up fruits in the am, 1/2 hr later I have either shredded wheat cereal or 2 slices of sprouted grain flax toast with no fat cream cheese and tomato. The rest of my meals are pro/fat with veggies... the type of meals I'd eat on Atkins. Its been only 3 days since I started and I feel good but I still find it soo hard to wrap my brain around the idea that I could eat this way and lose weight. I guess I'll have to see if the scale moves. :roll:

Mamabeek
Tue, Mar-25-03, 14:11
Thin Mints are gone, my Grapenuts cravings are back under control and I am FINALLY back down to where I was before those two foods ganged up on me. I gained 4 pounds total, with the cookies being only a part of the problem. I know that's not much, but I have been so steady going down each week or at least holding my ground and this was my first real crash after two months on SS and a 15 pound loss.

I was surprised how fast I went back down by just eating strictly pro/fats for a couple of days. I did have a fruit snack each morning though, and I still lost 4 pounds. :roll:

Hey LocarbJo, welcome to this WOE! :wave: Sounds as if you've done really well LCing in the past. If you like this plan so far get one of Suzannes books and try a few of her recipies. YUMMY! I just got in the last of them so I now have the complete set. There's at least a couple of winner recipies in each. I especially like the latest one, "Fast and Easy"

It's been a couple of days since you posted this, so how has your first week gone?

I have to laugh at my mother. I'll tell her what I just had for breakfast, lunch or dinner and she'll say, "Oh boy, THAT sounds evil!" Then she asks, oh-so-skeptically, how my weight loss is going and I tell her another pound is gone for a total of ___. Dead silence on the other end of the phone. My dad is a retired MD and needs to lose about 100 pounds. He LOVES fat, and I have suggested that low carbing would be perfect for him, but no matter how I try I cannot make a dent in their mindset that fat is bad and food combining is nonsense. In the mean time he keeps eating too much fat, AND sugar, AND carbs. Sigh. Whatever... when I hit my goal maybe Dad will think again. I wish I could share this yummy WOE with them, but each to his own...

lowcarbjo
Sat, Mar-29-03, 13:04
Things are going well.... I find that I've slowly gone back to a more "Atkins" way of eating but..... I have not given up my bowl of fruit in the morning. The rest of the day is more pro/fat and LC grains . I find it easier to do Atkins... maybe because my mind is so in tune with it and I really don't miss carbs.. yet... hahaha! Will continue on.... I want to lose atleast 15-20 lbs before I go try on Wedding dresses!!! If thats not incentive I don't know what is!! :D

KellyG5
Sun, Mar-30-03, 13:33
Keep on track..and you will be trying on the wedding dress real soon!

smylpurty
Fri, May-02-03, 22:53
hi everyone!! :wave:

I too have just started somersizing....2 wks not so seriously....2 days very seriously. I tried atkins about a year ago, had some success, but fell off the wagon, and gained all the weight back (and then some)!! :mad: I just found out that I'm hypoglycemic, (fainted at work!!), so I definetly need to change my WOE.

I'm so very happy :D i found this site, as I have NO ONE that I can talk to about this WOE, which means I basically have little to no true support. (except for my son) or understanding of what I'm going through. I hope we can all support eachother, and keep eachother motivated. Especially us new people!! We need to stick together!!

I want to be a loser too!! :thup:

Take care everyone!! Hope to get to know all of you better!!

Jami
Sat, May-03-03, 03:04
ARRRRRGH! I should have stuck to my Hi-Lo

I am curious to know, what is Hi-Lo??

Mamabeek
Sat, May-03-03, 11:28
That's a cereal made by Back to Nature. Once you subtract the fiber it has only 7 grams of carbs and it's sweetened with Stevia Leaf Extract, so it's a completely legal carb meal. It's yummy, with a granola kind of flavor, and very filling too. 1/2 cup is plenty for breakfast.

Jami
Sat, May-03-03, 12:58
Hi, Mamabeek - thanks for the reply regarding Hi-Lo.

I have never seen that product. Is it in the regular supermarkets, or do you have to buy it at a health food store?

I am in Corona (Southern California), and I see you are from mid-coast California. I would appreciate knowing where you buy the Hi-Lo.

I love Grapenuts, but according to their label, they are VERY HIGH in carbs! So I am leery of using them.....

Jami
Sat, May-03-03, 12:59
I found a cereal at Vons Supermarket called Kashi. It is a sort of puffed cereal with all natural ingredients, and has only 15 carbs (minus 1 carb of fiber) in one cup. The only slightly questionable ingredient is the last one: sesame seeds. I know that seeds and nuts are on the "funky" list, but I figure that since ingredients are always listed in order of predominance, and this is the last ingredient, it means it is the least of them. And you can hardly see any of the sesame seeds when you pour it into a bowl. So I guess it is safe.

Mamabeek
Mon, May-05-03, 09:47
That's the only place I have found Hi-Lo. I know they're down in your area, so if you don't shop there already see if you can find one close by. They have tons of good stuff for low carbing and it's cheap! I eat Kashi sometimes too, but could only find a sugar free one at a health food store and it was PRICEY!!! What brand did you get? I eat my Grape Nuts sparingly since they are so high carb, but oh what a delight they are heated up with some Splenda... :nono:

Jami
Mon, May-05-03, 12:32
:) I appreciate the tip about finding Hi-Lo at Trader Joe's, and you said they have lots of other low-carb stuff. Can you give me any recommendations for specific products?

Also, I have a question about the Hi-Lo. :confused: I went to their website, and read that in addition to being low in carbs, Hi-Lo is also HIGH in protein. So what I am wondering is this: Since we are supposed to be separating pro/fats from carbs, is it really OK for us to have the Hi-Lo? :q: (Sounds too good to be true)

Mamabeek
Tue, May-06-03, 23:39
Not sure, but I think animal protein would be the issue. Must go ask on her site and see what they say. I'll let you know. I have been eating this once or twice a week and still losing though.

Jami
Thu, May-08-03, 14:38
Hi, Mamabeek - The Kashi that I found at Vons has no "brand name" per se. The front of the box just says "Puffed Kashi." It is grown without any synthetic pesticides or chemicals. On the side panel, it says "Distributed by Kashi Company, La Jolla, CA." They have a website: www.kashi.com.

I would be interested to know what other products you like from Trader Joe's (besides the Hi-Lo). Thanks for the info.....

Mamabeek
Fri, May-09-03, 17:03
And I get my berries and lettuce there because it's so cheap. They have great bagged lettuce mixes. I particularly like the colored Swiss Chard mix they have. There is a souplike recipe on the bag that is to die for! I was amazed that I ate half a bag of this stuff using this recipe and I am not a big chard fan normally. I can always find Ezekhial (sp?) sprouted grain breads there. They have little 16 oz bottles of heavy cream at TJ's for less than in regular stores and they carry two low carb candies that are good, though I like Russell Stover's and Sweet Delite best and my two TJ's don't carry them.

Hmm... what else? Lemme think on it some more!

Soinwi
Tue, May-27-03, 07:11
HI

I am new to SS, actually I haven't started that yet but I have read her book Eat Great, Lose Weight. That book is interesting and must've been her first because she doesn't try to sell any products. But what she does have is alot of receipes. I bought the book at a rummage for .50 cents !!!! I was on atkins last year and did great until my vacation and then seemed to struggle with getting back on. I like the carbo mornings and fruit. I am training for the Chicago marathon in Oct. and I know I need carbs for the runs. So I will be starting this weekend. I will probaly do fruit carbo breakfasts and then protein/fats with veggies for lunch and dinner.

Ok I have babbled enough for now
Sonja

Mamabeek
Tue, May-27-03, 09:42
Wow, have you done this run before? Kudos for getting involved and I hope you do really well.

The carbs in the morning make this WOE really nice. There are days I just can't face one more egg, no matter who it's disguised! :rolleyes: Having a bowl of hot cereal, or even cold cereal, is wonderful. And living in California there is simply NO WAY I am going to do without fruit. Strawberries are so very good and super cheap right now and my blackberry bushes are producing like the world is gonna end... I made Suzanne's vanilla bean (except I used extract) ice cream and her chocolate sauce to go with. Ice cream sucked (which has to do with the extract I think) but the sauce is to die for. So I just chilled it and now I dip my berries in it for a snack. Oh.... to DIE for! And still losing pounds.

I hope this WOE helps you get back on track.

shoshie
Tue, May-27-03, 10:09
I now do a combo of ss and atkins. I love her desserts and her somer sweet. Her cheese cake is my favorite.

Soinwi
Tue, May-27-03, 20:35
I have read her book tiwce now (or at least the major points twice) and I really feel this is going to help alot. I need those carbs for energy during my long runs, no way around it. But I like my atkins protein dinners and I usually have salad with meat for lunch. So this will be easy and very very very satisfying!!!

I have done 2 ~~1/2 marathons in my pre-child days~!!~~!! I love to run it's a relaxing stress relieving activity. I don't run fast, usually around 10 ~ 10.5 minute miles. I plan on finishing the race in about 4:30 ~ 5:00 hours. Sounds crazy and it is. But finishing a marathon is more mental than physical. And I plan on winning the mental game!!!!

Sonja

Mamabeek
Wed, May-28-03, 09:11
That's a good maxim for nearly everything in life. I have a friend who runs marathons and she too does it for the relaxation it brings her. For the life of me I cannot see how running 26 miles (she runs one that long in Sacramento each year) can be relaxing, but I'll take her word for it, and yours. :daze: I have knee troubles so I just walk.

Looking forward to following your progress as you prepare for relaxing. LOL!

MB

waterwoman
Sun, Aug-08-04, 21:49
you might want to check out :suzannesomers.com - check out the forum under "community".

I'm finding it pretty easy to follow after getting all the combos right.
Good luck!