PDA

View Full Version : new on protein power

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

chrisk
Fri, Jan-03-03, 14:48
I read the book protein power and both my hisband and I have started it as of 1/1. like the idea of eating a lot of protein and vegetables but want t get away from just beef and chicken. I eat eggs or cottage cheese for breakfast and meat and cheese for lunch, sometimes cottage cheese and staek or chicken for dinner. I would like to try tofu. Does anyone have any suggestions for what kind is best and how to cook it???

Thanks. Chris

lotwm
Sat, Jan-04-03, 11:53
well there is alot of low carb meal and casseroles on some other low carb web sights.. go to the pp and atkins and friends ones and I have gotten wonderful recipes.. try buying round steak and have them tenderize it and then buy a can of chopped tomatoes with peppers in it and put this in a crock pot. Is really good and you can add some onions and flavorings if you want. There is a good pizza casserole that is just hamb 2 lbs and drainied and you mix pizza sause ragu has low carb one ... mix this and some onion and peppers.. then put turkey or reg pepperones on top. then add motzerella cheese and we put olives both adn mushrooms on top.. bake for 20 or so min at 350. be sure and cook your hamb first and then put in casserole dish.. This is my husbands favorite and he has lost 20 lbs in 2 months.. GESH took me 6 months LOL... also the little shrimps are good ...

lpioch
Sun, Jan-05-03, 13:57
When you start eating low carb, it takes awhile to learn how to cook and be creative - instead of popping into the pantry for a quick fix.

FISH is something I NEVER cooked before low carb. Now I'm getting much better - and it's so healthy! So try looking for some fish recipes.
Few days ago, I broiled a GREAT salmon.
This morning I did a good eggs and smoked salmon for breakfast.

But do know this. You'll learn to cook more! :-)

Kristine
Sun, Jan-05-03, 17:08
Hi! Tofu is easy to cook. Ideas:

-mash it up and scramble it with eggs
-cube it up on salads
-sautee it in oil with veggies
-marinade it and bake or broil it
-mix soft tofu into shakes

Other tips:
-read the labels. :exclm: Different brands vary in carb content.
-avoid the kind that's sold with sauce on it, but if you see Pete's brand, the italian style one is nice. :thup:
-once opened, store it submerged in water in the fridge. Change the water daily. It'll keep for about a week.
-if you want to marinade it, first put the tofu on a plate. Put another plate on top of it. Put a few heavy cans on top. Let it sit for 10 minutes or so, and presto: you'll have squeezed a lot of water out. This'll help it marinade.

(I cook for a vegetarian boyfriend. :D )

chrisk
Tue, Jan-07-03, 16:26
Thanks, all. Great ideas.