PDA

View Full Version : Yikes, Information Overload!

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

crg66
Fri, Jan-03-03, 13:55
A few months back I was diagnosed with severe osteoarthritis in my right hip and was told that I would need hip replacement surgery in 10 years and I'm only 36. After cortisone shots, the Drs (2 of them orthopedic surgeons) ordered me to lose weight, swim and take Vioxx. Well I came back to LCing to lose weight and get rid of my constant carbo cravings. I saw this thread dealing with Fibromyalgia and decided to check it out because I have recently been diagnosed with it too among many other things.

I have been in a lot of pain for several years and have been to see many doctors. So far I have been diagnosed with bursitis in both hips, osteoarthritis in the right hip, fibromyaliga in the groin area, mood disorders and anxiety. Both my feet and ankles are so sore when I wake in the morning to the point where I cannot walk down the stairs. I have tender points up and down my legs, back of my neck and other points I recently discovered while doing acupuncture treatments for the pain. I have had debilitating mysterious stomach pains and had to go to the emergency room a few years back.

The most frustrating part is never getting an answer from the Drs. as to why I had such painful stomach irritation, why I had bursitis that never cleared up with treatment, why the pain in my feet and ankles was getting worse, or why I have severe osteoarthritis in one hip when there is no family history, no excessive running type sports or injury to the hip.

After reading the information here it sounds like I could have a candidis infection. I have always wondered if the stomach pains, bursitis and osteo could be a viral or bacterial infection, but the Drs have told me that is not likely.

Where do I go now? There is so much information here I’m totally confused (as well as excited about possible treatments and angry at the doctors). What type of doctor should I go to that won’t scoff at me and help me develop a treatment plan?

I’m so glad I found this site. It is so much more than just weight loss. I want to be able to play on the floor with my kids again and wake up in the morning with no pain.

Thanks for listening
Carolyn

tbagram
Sat, Jan-18-03, 18:25
I have a wonderful book "The Yeast Connection and the Woman " by William G Crook, MD. He also wrote the Yeast Connection. Hope it helps. I have learned alot. Vonnie :wave:

kjturner
Mon, Jan-20-03, 05:58
Stick with low carbing. It'll beat a candida infection cold. But if you do have candida, beware of 'die off' symptoms. They'll put you through a living hell for a while, but it'll be worth it.
Fibromyalgia is not a localized thing. You don't 'get' it in the groin area. It is a whole-body thing. Whoever told you you have it 'just' in the groin area doesn't know what they're talking about. It is usually diagnosed by certain painful trigger points around the entire body. It is technically a 'syndrome' ie: a whole host of different symptoms but the same symptoms in everyone who has it. Chronic Fatigue Syndrome is currently being thought of as a 'form' of Fybromyalgia, or a least with the same possible root causes. It's just too bad they don't really know what the specific 'cause' is. I've been on a self-directed program for my fibromyalgia and I've had a LOT of improvement to the point where I can't really say I've 'got' fibromyalgia any more--or at least it affects me very little now compared to four years ago. What a relief! The one symptom I still have which I can't seem to eradicate is the myo/fascial/dermal adhesions/lesions. They keep wanting to re-form and I have to have massage therapy weekly to keep them at bay. Low-carbing, supplements, massage therapy, chiropractic, kineseology, accupuncture is how I did (am doing) it.

puppetlady
Thu, Jan-30-03, 08:03
Hi Carolyn.
I have woken up the past 5 years all through the night and stiff in the morning. So I understand. I hate not being able to walk well but I am finally getting a handle on it.

I haven't had much experience with Doctor't because I don't have any medical insurance but in the past year I have had pretty good relief in most of my pain and fatigue symptoms. I developed fibro about 5 years ago. It probably was before that but really started messing my life up then. I have had severe off and on fatigue since my youngest daughter was born 17 years ago.

I guess your post hit home for me with NEVER GIVE UP. IT has taken me 17 years of searching for my own answers to finally get some relief. I have gone to the doctor's over and over . I have even gone to the women's clinic here in Yarmouth run by Dr. Christine Northrup who is well known for treating Candidiasis. Yeast. Well when they didn't find yeast as the cause for my fatigue they told me to go see a physciatrist and get therapy. Well I trusted myself and refused to believe that it was all in my head.

I have tried many different supplements and found that Coral Calcium made the biggest difference for me in my pain levels and then I found another company that I take supplements from that eliminated most of my fatigue. I finally had the energy to go back to low carbing. My husband and daughter have joined me and my husband has said he will always eat this way as well.He had terrible carb addictions and says he won't even test it by eating a little because he will slip back.........as I digress here.

Anyway. I found I had to find a way to manage the pain naturally before I could do anything else. The diet helped but the pain was still there and I couldn't concentrate. Then the fatigue was so bad as well but of course the carbs will do that as well so it really is a whole package.

I guess I would suggest giving coral calcium a try for the pain and if you want the name of the company I can send you a private message. I also have pain in my hip and I don't believe mine is the joint but rather the primiformis muscle which is the deep muscle beneath the glutius maximus. It is painful alot when I sit and if I press on the center of my buttocks I can feel how much it reacts to that. I believe it is another muscle that is affected in my case... I wonder if that might be the same for you? I am not a doctor but I do know I have had to do alot of research to find some help for myself .I kept asking the doctor for natural therapies and she couldn't make any suggestions. YOu can go to a naturiopathic doctor and they might be able to suggest some forms of alternative treatment that might help heal your body as opposed to treating the symptoms.

Well that is my two cents for what it is worth . You will find the way out of the pain........Debbie.

P.S. A B-Vitamin complex is a great place to start to help with mood and anxiety. Get a good quality though. I can suggest a place to find those as well if you are interested.

quietone
Thu, Jan-30-03, 08:58
First of all, I couldn't believe what puppetlady said! I also developed piriformis syndrome last summer. It never leaves, but it is better than when I first developed it. I couldn't even move then without horrific pain. And sneezing...oh my gosh did that hurt!

These are some symptoms of fibro (classic and less so): pain, stomach problems, vision problems (especially sudden changes in prescriptions), sleep disturbances, sensitivity to noise, vision, smells (and sometimes touch), headaches and jaw pain, severe menstrual cramps.

I have just recently started Coral Calcium. I am not a very disciplined person, so I have not been taking it long enough/regularly enough to see a difference.

The doctor you should see is a rheumatologist. I go to mine on Monday for the start of a diagnosis. I was supposed to go a couple of weeks ago, but was in too much pain.

My fibro (if that is indeed what i have) even affects my eyes. I am assuming it is actually affecting the connective tissue in the muscles around my eyes.

I have gone to doctor after doctor after doctor. One treats me for this, one treats me for that. NO one ever got the whole picture.

I have noticed that the fibro seems to flare along with seasonal affective disorder. I have both winter and summer SAD and the fibro flareups with it.

I am not doing too well on the low carb this time. BUT the last time I did it and did well (1999), all my pain went away. My eyes became so normal again, that I could even get back into my contacts!

The mornings are much worse. For awhile I thought it was hormones or something (sometimes there is too much info) because I found out that puberty happens during sleep, so.....

A few years ago, before I realized anything was really wrong, I had a friend who used to tell me I had a "pain de jeur" And she was right, but I thought I was just complaintive or a hypochondriac. I kept wondering if everyone else hurt as much as I did and just kept quiet about it, or just accepted it and I was a big, darn baby!

Anyway, hang in there. Look over the info here and there are some great fibro networks on the internet that has good info. That is where I found out my eye trouble was connected to everything else.

Stay in touch.

puppetlady
Thu, Jan-30-03, 09:59
I totally agree on the eye thing,I was told 2 years ago that I have keratoconus which is a corneal disease.But I honestly believe it is due to 17 years of chronic fatigue,stress, lousy sleep, etc. I have seen an improvement since going LC and so I continue to hope for more improvement. It can lead to corneal transplants but I think it is more a muscle thing and antioxidant problem......... Who knows for sure but I am convinced they are related. Have lots of problems with focusing. The muscles seem to jump around at times. Sometimes blurry sometimes fine.....

Debbie