PDA

View Full Version : tsh rising

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Trish1967
Fri, Jan-03-03, 11:40
Hi I hopr someone can help??? I was diagnosed w/ hypo thyroid 4 years ago, every time I get my Tsh stable it jumps up again
back in october it was 14 they put me up to 250mmg of synthroid
i just had it checked again and it is only down to 11.6 so the put me up to 275mmg a day of synthroid. I've started yoga and a no or low sugar and carb intake I do take Zoloft my Dr and Pharmacist said it did not interfer, But I read on the web it does?
Have any of you ran into this problem?
any advice?
Trisha :daze:

Thyroid_M
Wed, Jan-08-03, 20:26
There are several things that I think you should follow up on, based on the information you posted.

First, you should be aware that the TSH test is not enough in and of itself to diagnose hypothyroidism sufficiently. If you have a TSH of 14, though, then be advised that your thyroid problem is a lot more serious than the majority of thyroid sufferers. That is because a lot of hypothyroidism is not a result of the thyroid gland malfunctioning [which is all the TSH can test for] but a result of higher amounts of proteins present in the body that in effect nullify the hormones produced by the thyroid gland, or your body producing antibodies that attack thyroid hormone.

That having been said, I think that your continued thyroid problems are attributable to your medication. I don't think the dosage of Synthroid that you are on will impact your thyroid, because Synthroid itself is not sufficient to alleviate the symptoms of hypothyroidism. That is because Synthroid consists of only T4, and not T3.

T3 is the hormone that your thyroid gland produces that regulates metabolism and energy level. Because the body naturally produces more T4 than T3, and because the body naturally converts T4 to T3, many doctors do not prescribe replacement T3 medication. This is too bad for us sufferers, because T4 supplemented by medication does NOT convert itself into T3.

You may be interested to note that my mother was on varying dosages of Synthroid for 20 years, and still suffered from both weight & energy issues. I convinced her to visit my doctor, who put me on replacement T4/T3. My mom visited with him in April of 2002, and switched off of Synthroid and onto T3/T4 in May of 2002. She did not reach full dosage until August of 2002, because my doctor did not want to shock her system by introducing adequate amounts of T3 into her system all at once. Since then, my mom has lost 32 pounds. T3 enabled her diet & exercise, which she has always been on top of, to actually have an impact on her metabolism and health.

If you have any questions about this or any other thyroid issue that you would like to chat with me about, please e-mail me at thyroid~justice.com [thyroid AT justice.com] or see my site at http://diagnosis.4t.com

Good luck!

Margie

Texastwin
Mon, Jan-13-03, 22:37
To some extent, I agree with Thyroid M however, for different reasons.

First let me recommend an excellant thyroid site and forum. www.thyroid.about.com There is a great deal to learn about thyroid disease....and how to understand your tests as well as which tests you need. This disease is prevalent in my family & incl two surgeries...both of which were on two teens!5 of 9 females in my immediate family have thyroid problems.

.100 Synthroid is what I started on and I did improve, however it was not until I switched to .100 Unithroid that most all of my symptoms went away.

Thyroid M points out that there is no T3 in Synthroid, however you should not switch to a dessicated form until you have had the right tests done to determine if you have a conversion problem or, in your case, since your TSH is quite high, in spite of a pretty high dosage, whether you have Thyroid Hormone Resistance.

Most doctors do a TSH and basic panel but you should ask that they check the Total T3 and T4 and also do FREE T4 (NOT a Free T4 Index aka T7) and a FREE T3. The Free levels are all that is available to your body. If your Total T3 and Free T3 is low then you are either not converting T4 to T3 or you may be making what is called Reverse T3 (inactive form)....in either case, you would need to start a T3 med...either synthetic or dessicated (like Armour).

If your doctor will not check both of your Free levels, you can obtain these online from a local lab through www.healthcheckusa.com (thyroid profile#2=TSH,Free T3 & Free T4) use thyroid.about.com's discount code of 12345 and tests will be discounted to about $80

if you have any questions let me know

Thyroid_M
Tue, Jan-14-03, 11:14
The site you posted is excellent. That is how I found my doctor, at Mary Shomon's page [www.thyroid.about.com]. Mary has found and compiled a lot of important and relevant information about thyroid disorders, and I learned a lot from one of her thyroid books.

I tell everyone to check out that site not only for the information, but for the Top Doc Directory she posts. You can find a doctor according to your location posted by his or her patients. That is the most crucial part in picking a doctor - finding one that helped other patients in the similar situation as you are in.

M

Texastwin
Sun, Jan-19-03, 19:14
i realize Thyroid M irritated a couple of you and perhaps she did come on a little strong about Synthroid...however, as a newbie...i am not only surprised but am not impressed by the rudeness i have seen in the posts to her, on this forum.

the purpose of forums are suppose to be to help others.... somehow, i get the feeling that there is rarely a "warm, fuzzy" feeling here....and considering how few posts there are and to get that feeling....that's really sad.

since i too have some pretty strong feelings about synthroid & doctor's poor medical knowledge....i suspect that i would be treated just as rudely, at some point, should one of you two disagree with my viewpoint....

i am curious...if synthroid has optimized your thyroid health....why do you continue to have labs every 3 months? TSH fluctuation? have your symptoms, such as weight continued? i started on .100 Synthroid...symptoms improved...except the fatigue...then i switched to .100 unithroid and fatigue was gone within the first two weeks.

ladybug..."sheesh" and the mention of your Saviour in one response? somehow i don't think He meant for his children to be so uncharitable.

PS And to answer your question....go to thyroid m's web page so you can see the magazine picture better....the woman on the cover is a regular on the thyroid.about.com....that magazine had interviews with Mary Shomon and that is Thyroid-M on the cover of the magizine

LadyBug555
Tue, Jan-21-03, 22:40
" ladybug..."sheesh" and the mention of your Saviour in one response? somehow i don't think He meant for his children to be so uncharitable. "

Texastwin
Where I come from, "Sheesh" is an expression for confusion, much as is "geez" or "geez Louise".
I don't know what you mean about using that term and my signature line. I prefer you take it to PM though. Regarding my comment about Richard Simmons, I was serious, I guess my old eyes don't see too well, no insult intended, and besides I like Simmons and have a great deal of respect for what he does.

Texastwin
Wed, Jan-22-03, 00:19
ladybug....

sorry...where i come from, that sheesh would most likely have been accompanied with raise eyebrows and rolling of the eyes....if you have ever been around a teen who disagrees with what their parent is saying, then you know what i am talking about! ;) basically, it would be almost the same as a person calling another, an idiot.....which is what i had reference to not being "charitable"...so why don't you and i start from scratch!

guess i just didn't expect people to treat other posters like margie was treated on this forum....even after she apologized, on another thread, if she had come on too strong, she was met with snide comments. Sadly, regardless of how she presented her information, most of it does have legitimate research to support it, but the snide remarks she was met with would have most assuredly made a newbie think that she must be a "kook"....with the end result being that person not getting information that might have helped her. i also frequent a huge international thyroid forum...no poster is treated that way, there.

that's why i came here...to hunt for experience & advice w/hypothyroid, insulin resistance & any low carbing benefits.

With exception of not having my Free T3 ~ an optimal level, my TSH & Free T4 are great... i know there are T3 connections to elevated glucose and mine didn't go up until i went on thyroid meds (the ADA say thyroid meds are one of the meds that will do that)...i think it is related to insulin receptors, but since i have no intentions of giving up the thyroid meds...low carbing + maybe getting some T3 supplementation may be my only option....so i came here!

what is your story & how are you doing?
faye

ysabella
Thu, Jan-23-03, 14:50
Trish, I've read that Zoloft interfered with the thyroid as well. It was in the New England Journal of Medecine. I never tried it myself, but I would be very concerned about that! Maybe you need another opinion? Or to bring the article with you to the doctor?

I would have linked the article here, but I can't find it. Possibly the library could find it for you. It's from 1997.

Your TSH should be less than 2! It's way too high. I hope you can get it under control, best of luck to you.

Texastwin
Thu, Jan-23-03, 15:18
trish,

hope you find what you are looking for, here:

http://www.zoloft.com/index.asp?pageid=43#precautions

if not, their home page is www.zoloft.com

perhaps there is a way to contact them and ask.

faye

Trish1967
Sun, Jan-26-03, 18:29
FAYE,

THANKS SO MUCH FOR THE INFORMATION ON ZOLOFT.

I WILL BRING THE JOURNAL ARTICAL TO MY DR NEXT MONTH

TRISH :wave:

Thyroid_M
Wed, Apr-23-03, 17:18
Ysabella,

I think the article you are referring to is called "Fortnightly Review: Hypothyroidism: Screening and Subclinical Disease" by A. P. Weetman, Professor of Medicine, and can be found at:

http://bmj.com/cgi/content/full/314/7088/1175

This is one that I keep in my thyroid journal - it's an important one.

I also was interested in the following article:

http://www.healthy.net/asp/templates/news.asp?Id=6624

This site posts the newly accepted range for TSH "optimal" functioning as falling within 0.3 to 3.0, per the American Association of Clinical Endocrinologists. I found this article posted on Mary Shomon's site.

I also found a lot of really interesting and informative articles at the following site:

http://www.thyroidhistory.net/thyroidhistory.net/index.asp

It has almost 1,000 thyroid related articles posted here.

Margie :-)