PDA

View Full Version : Hi all anyone in Northern Virginia,MD?

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

lukenlarry
Tue, Dec-31-02, 11:17
I live sorta close to fredricksburg and travel to Maryland a lot. Would like to meet some new people... :wave:

Meghann23
Fri, Jan-24-03, 16:50
Hi, I live in Gaithersburg, Maryland. Are you ever up this way? :-)
Meghann

pokey one
Sat, Jan-25-03, 11:47
and work in Springfield (and do that horrible I-95 commute everyday).

Know of any good places to buy LC groceries? Ukrop's has some, but I'm having a hard time finding many sugar-free things near us.

Found Da Vinci syrups at Ross's and TJMaxx in Kingstowne.

Kayakker
Sun, Feb-02-03, 14:57
Hi ya'll. I am near F'burg too :)

I like to LC shop at the super Walmart. Either in Central Park or in Culpeper.

As I live in Fauquier County, they are almost equi-distant from me.

Thanks for starting the thread :) It almost could have read LCers in Fredericksburg. ;)

Judi B.
Fri, Feb-07-03, 15:49
I live in Alexandria VA, and will be in Gaithersburg Md Sat Nite at the Outa the Way Cafe, my boyfriend is a blues musician and is going to be playing there! Good food there but have to stay away from the pierdogies!
I'm also looking for some place around here that sells good lo carb bread.
Judi

2OnAtkins
Sat, Feb-22-03, 14:25
Yes, does anyone know where to buy lo-carb bread in the DC area? It is so expensive to get it delivered by Atkins.

pokey one
Sat, Feb-22-03, 22:22
Food Lion carries Nature's Own Low Carb bread. It's not bad tasting, either! I think it's 7 g. carbs per slice, less 2 g fiber for a net of 5 carbs per slice.

I've also heard that Trader Joe's carries low carb foods, but I haven't had a chance to get to one.

hth,
Pokey One

booger
Sat, Mar-08-03, 17:37
I'm in Fairfax and I work in Arlington.

A friend of mine tells me that Trader Joe's in CA used to carry some no flour bread or something, years ago when she was in college. She existed on it and coffee at the time.

I've had good luck stocking up on some low carb items at the larger Giants. A little ingenuity seems to help -- diabetic foods can be good for things like peanut butter and such.

I haven't hit Whole Foods or Trader Joes specifically to shop for LC foods since starting the diet, but I'm guessing they (and Harris Teeter) would be great resources. Apparently, so is a health food store in Manassas and Springfield called Healthway.

Kaki
Sat, Mar-15-03, 06:19
Hey all,
I am out of Manassas. Yes, the Healthway shop here has bread, some as low as 3 carbs per slice. They are okay but nothing whoopie. My favorite is the Scandinavian flat bread. It's super dry but is good with any kind of spread or cheese. Makes a great snack in the evenings. It has 3 carbs per slice but has 3 grams of fiber so it's a free food.

Healthway is okay but their low carb section seems to have shrunk and they don't always have what I want and don't seem to be too interested in ordering anything for me.

Kaki

2OnAtkins
Sat, Apr-05-03, 12:49
OK guys, I am going to stop by the trader joes in Reston in a little bit and will report back what I find. My Food Lion does not carry any low carb bread and I need to find somewhere that does! I don't go to Manassas very often, or I would try the Healthway there.

Kaki
Sun, Apr-06-03, 05:05
I believe there is a Healthway in Herndon right off Elden Sttreet which is closer to you. They carry those really great torteas.

Kaki

2OnAtkins
Sat, Apr-12-03, 10:25
I will look for Healthway this weekend. I did go to Trader Joes and was unsuccessful. They do not have low carb bread, however I did find some chicken, spinach, feta sausages that were interesting and tasty. Something different.

Judi B.
Tue, May-06-03, 15:14
They just opened a MOM's (My Organic Market) on Mt. Vernon Ave. They have just started carrying Nature's Own Bread, Its ok and it tasts like my home made lo carb bread only easier!! They carry 2 varieties!

Also, they have low carb pasta there, it is ok....but nothing like the real thing! I'm Italian, ya know!

I keep bugging the manager to get more low carb stuff...they are going to be offering a wheat-gluten free section....when they see me I think they run the other way!

Judi

shawnie
Mon, May-12-03, 07:54
Hi! I am from Maryland and I have been doing Atkins for 14 weeks now and have lost 40 pounds. I have been lurking around the boards for awhile now and thought I should introduce myself. It is nice to see so many people from Maryland here.

PotentShll
Mon, May-12-03, 18:57
Came across this & wanted to say hi to everybody. :wave: I'm from No VA too - I'm in Ashburn. Always up to meeting new people. I havec to say Thanks for the lead on Healthways... I'm going to have to check that place out for LC stuff... never even crossed my mind even though I pass one on my way to work everyday off rt 7.

JVonBaden
Sat, Oct-04-03, 15:54
Hi everyone!

I'm new on the site, as well as to the LC WOL.

I just wanted to thank you all for your courage in opening your stories to us all, and helping us to find alternative foods.

It's also great to see how many of you have been successful in your new life style. It is very encouraging to us just starting out!

It's also nice to see so many women on the board! It's sometimes difficult to meet women who understand this addiction to Carbs and "allergy" to them as well.

Jim