PDA

View Full Version : Key Lime Kool-Aid Cheesecake

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

casuzen
Fri, Dec-27-02, 16:38
To avoid the NutraSweet in Sugar-Free Jello, I use unsweetened Kool-Aid as flavoring in my cheesecake -

1 pkg unsweetened Kool-Aid (I used Lemon/Lime - any flavor could be used)
1 packet plain gelatin (Knox)
1/4 cup water
3/4 cup liquid - I juiced a lime and added water to measure 3/4 cup
1/2 cup pourable Splenda
16 oz cream cheese (room temperature)

sprinkle gelatin over 1/4 cup water. let soften for 5 minutes. boil the remaining 3/4 cup liquid. pour into gelatin and stir until completely melted. add Kool-aid powder. Stir well.
Put cheese into mixer and start beating. add the gelatin and Splenda. Beat until very creamy.

I put about 1-2 tbs of this mixture into muffin papers (the foil kind) and then chilled. You could use any nut crust in a springform pan also but that changes the carb count.

I got 16 to 20 of these from a batch.
Carb count is about 2-2.5 per muffin paper. Total for batch - ~46.

These disappeared quite quickly at our Christmas party (most of the people that ate them were not LCers but they really liked them). I decorated them with a fresh raspberry. Looked pretty and Christmassy...

--casuzen

UAGirl
Tue, Dec-31-02, 11:08
Oh my goodness!! This is going to be great for my new fiancee who loves Key Lime!!

Have I mentioned lately that I love this forum?!?!

Nems
Tue, Dec-31-02, 19:20
Sounds Delish!

Problem is, is that I would not eat just one or two :D

Think I'll try this real soon! Thanks for the post

casuzen
Thu, Jan-02-03, 20:14
perhaps you could freeze the 'extras' for later???

--casuzen

Nems
Thu, Jan-02-03, 23:04
Hi Casuzen,

I made some last night but I put it in coffee cups because I didn't have any foil cups. I had to adjust the recipe also because I had sf jello (aspartame doesn't bother me) and no kool-aid. Had some last night and it was pretty good! I should have added more water or maybe cream because it was really heavy. Guess that's why you put them in small foil cups huh... :D

Usually there isn't any left but low and behold there were 4 cups left this morning. Next time I make some, I will be sure to use the little foil cups and freeze a bunch.

Thanks for posting the recipe. :thup:

Kemss
Mon, Jan-06-03, 12:11
I changed this around a little (to use what I already had in the kitchen) Lime SF Jello, Water, Splendra, Cream Cheese and Heavy Whipping Cream - LOVED IT!!! This will save me from all of my SWEET cravings. Thank you so much for sharing. I made this with Lime Jello and another mixture with Strawberry/Kiwi - Both of them were delicious!

Bamalady74
Sun, Jan-12-03, 17:17
wow that was delicious. Mine was a bit tangy though. I used lemon along with lemon kool-aid and boy did I pucker up. The sweet taste was to die for!
Thanks for the idea. I will do some experimenting to find that perfect flavor for me!
Bamalady74

Carol CA
Sun, Jan-26-03, 19:31
How much Jello did you use for a single pie, Kemss?
Thanks! I'm going to give this a try! I have a ravenous sweet tooth this week!

rwarren
Mon, Jan-27-03, 06:30
I will have to try this. I've only been on the board a few days, but there has been so much information, help and kindess.

Thanks to all,

Bobby

Michelle02
Mon, Jan-27-03, 11:09
Ohhhhhhh. That sounds yummy. I love cheesecake!

Kemss
Mon, Jan-27-03, 11:19
Hi Carol,
I used the small box for one batch that I made... then I used a larger box when I used 2 pkgs of cream cheese. If you use too much jello it seems to be very tart.

The lime one was similar to the post about the lemon... a little on the tangy side. I have also tried adding a few tablespoons of Cool Whip (it's only 2 carbs for 2 Tbls) it makes it nice and fluffy.

Be careful though... I was using this as a daily treat - eating a bowl full.... and I think maybe my body thought it was sugar - so I stalled a bit. Now I only use it to curb my sweet tooth with a spoonful every now and then - not daily.

KarenS

Carol CA
Mon, Jan-27-03, 17:43
Thank you, Karen! I'm going to give it a try soon. I have a chocolate cheesecake recipe that is to die for. I was all set to post it yesterday... but then the server went down. I'll be posting it soon. If you want to see it now, you can look at this page (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=75341&perpage=15&pagenumber=21) ... (it's the very last post on the page)... otherwise, I'll be posting it in the recipe section soon.

Take care... CCA

pianokat73
Sat, Feb-01-03, 15:04
Singing your praises, yummy!!

well i treid this with a sugar free jello and it was okay. I didnt add hardly any sweetner like splenda cause of the jello being sweetend but I think I need to add a few more packets

But thanks for the ideas.....

I can do all things in Christ who strengthens me…Phil.4:13.

Candiflip
Mon, Feb-10-03, 15:52
I made this with the SF Jello and it turned out really good. I only used half a pack for 8 oz of cream cheese. I cut the recipe in 1/2 because I didn't want to make too much.. It is only me eating it and if I make to much I will end up eating all of it :p . I didn't have to add any extra sweetener. I read though the posts and figured if I added the whole pack of SF Jello that it would turn out tangy and I would have to add extra sweetener so that is why I only added half and it turned out perfect.

Thank you

Candice