PDA

View Full Version : Atkin's Vitamins

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

jai
Thu, Dec-26-02, 18:33
Hi,
I am a little confused about what the following directions on some of the Atkin's vitamin bottles mean -

Basic #3
Directions: Take three tablets per day with meals.

Does that mean one tablet with each meal or three tablets at one time with any meal. Does it matter? I currently take three tablets with breakfast. Should I be taking one with each meal (breakfast, lunch & dinner)???

Essential Oils
Directions: Take two softgels per day with meals.

Again, does that mean one tablet with two different meals or two tablets at one time with any meal. Does it matter? I currently take two tablets with breakfast. Should I be taking one with two different meals???

Thank you.
Simon.

Lisa N
Thu, Dec-26-02, 19:13
Hi Jai!

The way I read it, you should be taking one Basic #3 with each meal and one Essential oil with 2 meals (your choice). I'm not sure if it matters if you take them all at one time or not, but I think the idea is that since these are not time-release supplements, that you should spread them out to keep a steady level in your bloodstream instead of giving yourself one big jolt all at one time. I'm sure someone will be along soon with a better explanation, but in the mean time I hope this helps.

Blue Moon
Thu, Dec-26-02, 20:26
I work in a pharmacy (not quite the pharmacist yet, so by no means an expert ), and as Lisa N said, you should take one basic #3 with each meal, and one essential oils pill with two meals. It (most likely) does make a difference whether you spread them out or not, because spreading the pills out over the course of a day allows your body to absorb the right amounts. Some vitamins are absorbed more easily, and some less easily, I think depending on whether they are water or fat soluble. I hope this makes sense, and clarifies some of Lisa N's thoughts...

I am not sure what basic #3 has, because I take alphabetic, a supplement for diabetics that my boss recommended to me (not just for diabetics but also their families). It is a multivitamin without iron (which I read on here is a possible no-no?), and has the highest over-the-counter potassium levels (3%)