PDA

View Full Version : Obsessed

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Nems
Thu, Dec-19-02, 09:17
This post copied from my journal today. Didn't want to write it twice. Thought someone might have good advice for me.

Woke up hungry and still tired so I did a no no. Had brownies for breakfast. I talked myself into eating them. So I will make that my RM for the day. Not at all balanced but now I'm not hungry so there's no reason to add anything to it. I guess I will have to go work out today to counteract the breakfast brownies. Thing is I can't have brownie mix in the house anymore so I just won't buy any. There's cookie dough in the fridge and when I started eating the brownies I thought I might as well have some of that too but after I finished, didn't want any and decided not to be a glutton. It really seems like I spend the majority of the time thinking about this diet or some would say WOE or WOL. It's like it is controlling me and not me controlling my food as it should be.
It's rather nuts to let this happen but I can't seem to move past it. I'm tired of this obsession about "gotta lose this weight". Although I am determined to lose this weight and really want to I don't like the way I am thinking about it 24/7. It's been like this for almost 2 months. Very happy about the 10 pound loss but irritated that I haven't lost any for about a month. I know what I have to do and that's work out. It's a must if I want to lose more. Clothes are looser and my fat doesn't hang over my jeans anymore so I am losing inches. I am not going to weigh anymore. I don't care what the Hellers say about finding your average weight loss. I'm only going to weigh once a week or less. This is the only way I'm going to be able to continue on and hopefully by not weighing daily I can break this obsession.

Life is too short to let myself be consumed with this obsession.

1pepper
Thu, Dec-19-02, 10:48
I have to say, I kinda feel the way you do about the obsessed thing. It seems that's all I think about too. Maybe when I finally accept that I am only human and am not a repulsive sight, then maybe I can eat this way knowing it's making a heathier person.(not a skinny one.) My DH loves ME. not my pant size.(14-16) I have three children and at the age of 27 I will not be a size 7 like high school. So, let's concentrate on us, not this diet. Think about the happy holidays and that we have already lost some weight and let's be happy with that. POSITIVE THOUGHTS!!!

Have a great day!
Amy

TeriDoodle
Thu, Dec-19-02, 10:59
Oh, how I remember that feeling!!!! Here's a post I did quite a while back that I hope will help you. Click here. (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=61864&perpage=10&highlight=making%20mental%20shift&pagenumber=1)

I'll check back to see if this helped you. Please feel free to visit my journal anytime! :D

PS - Hey, maybe it's a "Texas Thing"!! LOL Merry Christmas, Ya'll!!

Zuleikaa
Thu, Dec-19-02, 11:32
You have to give it time to get out of the diet mentality. Especially at this time of year. Put the scale away for a while and stick to plan. As long as you stick to plan try not to worry about the scale, at least until spring. The weight was put on with time and will take time to come off. You need to get used to feeling "normal". Good for you that you didn't start a binge by starting with the brownies. Before, you would have so think what a big step that is.

The obsession with sweets will pass. Part of it is the time of year and an inborn survival chemistry. Part of it is the disbelief that you can have sweets and still lose. You need time to acclimate. Try to think of what you really want for RM. Make RM special not just a gorge on sweets, include your favorite veggies or drink.

Nems
Thu, Dec-19-02, 16:48
Amy: Thanks for the attitude check. I like your positive outlook and your right, it's me becoming healthier not just skinny although I am not looking to become skinny (like I use to be) but I do want to look and feel attractive. I really do have a lot to be thankful for and need to focus on these things and not negative ones.

Teri: Thanks for the link. Reading some posts there really did help. I am looking forward to the mental shift. Some days I have no problem at all and other days it's just a struggle and it really shouldn't be. This WOE is good for me. I really never have set a time line for losing weight. Good thing for me because that would have drove me even more crazier. Crazier....is that a word? :D

Zuleika: The scale is in the bathroom closet and I won't have a problem getting on it...always have hated scales, even when I was thin. I'll weigh after the holdays. Don't plan on going nuts over the sweets and that's a positive change for me. I'm learning moderation is the key to everything.

Thanks ya'll! :wave:

plum
Fri, Dec-20-02, 05:15
Nems, hang on there... Ive been obsessed with it all for many months and I have to tell you that you do come out of the other side. Literally took months with me but perhaps I needed to go through it. For some of us I think theres "stages" frustration, acceptance, even anger, but it eventually all calms down :)

I didnt like it but now I have more balance and perspective I think.

Nems
Fri, Dec-20-02, 23:19
Thanks for the encouraging words Plum! Glad to know I will get to the other side one of these days.

:wave: