PDA

View Full Version : Is Chromium really effective?

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

kypraia
Wed, Dec-18-02, 15:54
Hi,

I'm wondering if people who use chromium piccolinate believe it to have significantly improved their weight loss.

I've started taking it because everyone says we should, but I haven't really heard anyone say that it helped them, specifically.

Also, how much is enough? I'm afraid of taking too much, but more afraid of not taking enough to make a difference.

Anecdotal experiences would give me a better idea of whether I should be taking it.

(I also take potassium, Vitamin C, and magnesiusm. I can't swallow big pills like mulitvitamins or oils yet but I'm working on it.)

Thank you!!
Kypraia

Tricia0923
Wed, Dec-18-02, 16:51
Hi,
I hope others besides myself answer - all I know about it is that it is supposed to decrease your appetite. I take them all the time and have since I started the end of November. I don't mind this woe, but I can't stand to feel hungry. I'll be checking back. Keep up the good work! I've lost 8, I think I am metabolically resistant to losing, but I'm also exercising a lot so I could be gaining muscle weight, I am losing inches though and in ketosis. :wave:

Daethian
Wed, Dec-18-02, 17:26
Atkins says 300 mcg is sufficient but some may need 800 to 1000 mcg daily

it builds muscle, decreases body fat and lowers cholesterol... helps with insulin and metabolism too.

Tricia0923
Wed, Dec-18-02, 21:56
thanks for the info on chromium - I already take some and may take more - I am discouraged because I am very metabolically resistant - I've lost 8 pounds but I think the rest coming off will be slow going - I'm not going to quit I"m just discouraged. I want to look better now. Oh well I have to pay for all those chocolate bars and peanut clusters. Take care all and hang in there - I will be a success story one day! :daze:

Karen
Thu, Dec-19-02, 01:51
What I've found better than chromium is l-glutamine - the powder, not the capsules. Take 1 tsp. mixed with water, 3 times a day.

Here's some more info on l-glutamine (http://www.lowcarbnexus.com/LGlutamine_Article.htm)

Karen

shannonlea
Thu, Dec-19-02, 09:02
You mentioned the powder.. I've been taking the pill form of L-glutamine. I will be done with induction tomorrow and so far have lost 8lbs. I am walking one hour daily on my treadmill and doing a lot of light weight lifting.. Especially with leg weights.. I have noticed a major difference in my muscle tone just by the lifting with leg weights,plus my celulite is not as noticible. My question is what's the difference in the powder and the pill?

shannonlea
Thu, Dec-19-02, 09:03
Okay I see you have more info at bottom on L-glutemine.. sorry .. will read that .. Thanks very much :p

wwdimmitt
Thu, Dec-19-02, 09:41
Based on the recommendations in Dr. Atkins' and Eades' I am taking 400 mcg. of chromium picolinate, plus I get 150 mcg. in my daily multi tab (Centrum Silver).

For those of us who have fairly severe insulin resistance, the goal is to improve the function of insulin receptors at the cellular level, and at the same time to make burning of fat for body fuel more efficient.

Eades' also say that chromium deficeincy is an important factor in sugar craving, setting up a nasty cycle of further depleting your chromium reserves due to the added demand for insulin to metabolize the sugar. So, rebuilding chromium reserves should help in decreasing sugar cravings.

Sugar is not a big problem for me, but insulin resistance, and the need for a lot of exercise and building more muscle are my major concerns. After almost 3 months, it seems to be working well, and I feel and look a lot better than I did when starting this eating/exercise plan.

wwdimmitt
Thu, Dec-19-02, 09:59
Originally posted by Karen
What I've found better that chromium is l-glutamine - the powder, not the capsules. Take 1 tsp. mixed with water, 3 times a day.

Here's some more info on l-glutamine (http://www.lowcarbnexus.com/LGlutamine_Article.htm)

Karen

Karen, thank you for the link to l-glutamine info. Very informative.

It seems like a very effective way to battle sugar cravings, but it does not fill the bill in the need to improve insulin receptor performance at the cell walls, does it?

As with all this complicated body chemistry that leads to problems, it seems to me that these are two different solutions, for differing personal issues.

For those primarily fighting sugar craving, l-glutamine seems like a really good solution.

But for those of us more concerned about insulin resistance, and muscle building, chromium seems like a better, and a necessary, supplement.

I would greatly appreciate your opinion on this difference, as you seem to be a very experienced and informed participant in these matters. :daze:

TeriDoodle
Thu, Dec-19-02, 11:12
I'm in the midst of an 8-week supplement experiment, with my main focus being religious intake of GTF Chromium......200 mg, 3-4x/day. My goals are to control insulin responses and blood sugar as I've realized I have an insulin response to caffeine and meals containing as little as 10-12 grams of carbs.

Please note that the effects of taking chromium may only be noticeable after 6-8 weeks ....so don't be too quick to judge its effectiveness.

After 2 weeks of taking it, I'm pleased to say that it does seem to be making a difference. It curbs the appetite by keeping at bay the false hunger caused by low blood sugar. Glutamine does a fine job of making cravings disappear. I use that also when I get a hankering for something sweet after meals. But "false hunger" and "cravings" are not the same thing.

I'll subscribe to this thread and keep you posted on my observations!

freydis
Fri, Dec-20-02, 16:50
There was a study done in China on kids. They were given 200 mg Chromium a day, which decreased the incidence of Type 2 Diabetes. The researchers theorized that the children were lacking in natural sources - mainly meats. Poultry has a good natural quantity. Ergo, one would think that someone on a low-carb regimen would not need chromium supplements. But, because chromium doesn't seem to have many negative side effects, people began taking the supplements.

Now, if Chinese kids who LACK the natural source only need 200 mg/day to improve, we probably need no more ourselves. However, one of the suppliers around where I live produces a 400 mg dose which is less expensive than any local 200 mg dose, so I take the 400 mg size.

I have not heard of any research which shows benefit to diabetics other than the one I mentioned above. I would be interested in any links, if anyone knows of further research. I sometimes wonder, myself, if there's any real benefit to the tablets.

mamakim1
Fri, Dec-27-02, 18:25
L-Glutamine makes me WIRED- it feels like i've had 2 cups of coffee- (i don't drink any caffeine). just wondering if it affects anyone else this way. It makes me race that i can't even eat when i've taken it, but i gave it up because i can't stand the feeling. kim

patkinson
Mon, Dec-30-02, 11:25
:wave: Hi Everyone,
I'm a new-comer to the forum (just found it) but you all seem very helpful. I have a question about a recurrent theme in this thread with regard to insulin balance. I'm not familiar with the reactions that you've mentioned and I'm concerned because there is a history of diabetes in my family (not in me, so far). Can someone explain what the references to insulin in these messages are talking about. (Sorry if this seems jumbled)

Tricia0923
Mon, Dec-30-02, 17:55
from what I understand Chromium is good for the body - it helps combat hyperinsulinism which leads to obesity as well as diabetes - the others can correct me if I'm wrong. Low carbing is a great WOE (WAY OF EATING) - enjoy.

:wave:

patkinson
Mon, Dec-30-02, 18:04
Ahhh, so that's it. Thanks for the info.
Pat

wcollier
Sun, Jan-12-03, 11:33
Originally posted by TeriDoodle
My goals are to control insulin responses and blood sugar as I've realized I have an insulin response to caffeine and meals containing as little as 10-12 grams of carbs.

Hi TeriDoodle:

I'm wondering how you have been doing with the chromium supplementation. I have the same problem as you. Hunger 1/2 hour after eating anything with carbs. I can control this by eating only about 5 grams of carbs per meal. I really need to sort this out because I hate being controlled by false hunger. I find if I have to go out to a party, I'll eat almost nothing with carbs all day, just so I won't feel the false hunger at the party and start binging on inappropriate foods.

I've tried chromium picolinate in the past, but found that it made my heart race, so I discontinued it. I may try going back on it to see if I respond the same way. Like you, I find the L-glutamine is okay for cravings, but not for controlling false hunger.

TeriDoodle
Tue, Jan-28-03, 22:43
Wanda... I take GTF Chromium....I think it is the Eades (CAD) who recommend it as being superior to picolinate. I've never heard of it causing rapid heart beat!? Just for the record....it's been about 8 weeks since I started using it, and I do think it's helping....that is, as long as I remember to TAKE IT!!!

wcollier
Wed, Jan-29-03, 14:16
Hi TerriDoodle:

I still have the original bottle of Chromium picolinate. I've started taking it again and it seems to be ok. Since the last time I was taking it, I started taking magnesium which seems to have stopped my heart palpitations.

I will try the GTF chromium when I restock and see how it works.

Thanks for your comments,
Wanda