PDA

View Full Version : My Name is Ginger & I'm a Roast Duck Virgin

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

ginkirk
Wed, Dec-18-02, 13:41
Hi there -- I'd like to make a whole duck for our Christmas midday meal, but I've only ever seen a duck at a pond & don't know what in the world to do to roast it. To boot, I'm not that great a cook. I'll follow my Joy of cooking best I can, but I'd like some words of experience.

I've heard that:

It can be ruined pretty easily due to it's high fat content. Does that mean I should rack it? How to avoid this?

My friend said you do a glazy type thing with marmalade? Would that be a sugar-free type thing for us? When/how Does it go on? What other herbs are used?

Whole duck is on sale locally for $1.79 per lb. That sound good?

Thanks!

cohenlin
Wed, Dec-18-02, 15:02
$1.79 is a great price for duck, at least where I live. Don't let the duck scare you. The best way to cook it is to put in on the rotisserie on the BBQ if you have one. Because of the fat in the duck it will self baste. You really don't need at glaze, because most duck is moist all by it self. If you don't have a BBQ, make sure you put the duck on a rack in a deep dish in the oven. You don't want the duck to sit in it's own juice while it cooks. If you want cook times and oven temps. just log on to your computer and type "duck recipes" in to the search field and you should come up with all the info you need. Good luck.

ginkirk
Wed, Dec-18-02, 15:17
Thanks for the info & advice. I will rack it in the oven. Should I also tie him up? (Do I sound like a medieval torture cook, or what?)

I found a really yummy-sounding recipe for Duck in Port http://www.carb-lite.au.com/61POULTRY/allrecipes61/duck_in_port.html

I can't even begin to think of what kind of wine to serve with a Duck in port wine sauce.... Anybody have any hints on that one?

I'm also thinking of serving sauteed mushrooms & shallots with wild rice. Some kind of roasted winter veggies(?) & no sugar chocolate mousse w/whipped cream for dessert (also at carb-lite) Side dish suggestions are also welcome.

g.

cohenlin
Wed, Dec-18-02, 15:24
no need to tie him (or her) up. You might what to prick the skin a couple of times so the fat in the duck will baste itself. I can not suggest a wine, cos we don't drink much. Is that wild rice dish low carb? I miss rice most of all on this woe!

TriciaW
Wed, Dec-18-02, 17:32
Hi Ginger,

I found this recipe in Karen's Corner. Turned out beautifully with a delightful texture and excellent flavor. I highly recommend!!

Zucchini, Sour Cream and Jack Cheese Bake
http://www.lowcarb.ca/karen/recipe066.html

penelope
Wed, Dec-18-02, 17:43
Hi Ginkirk,

When in doubt serve Champagne :D :D :D

Pene

Rainbowgc
Wed, Dec-18-02, 18:07
One thing to remember when serving duck: It's no turkey!
I mean in servings LOL. One duck will normally feed 2 people,
The breast isn't much so mostly it is thighs and legs.
I either roast mine on the grill where the fat drains away or in a rack - I use a small, strong cookie cooling rack- placed in a roasting pan so the juice can drain away.

Because any (sweet sauce which is usual) will have too many carbs try a SF version (taste first cause I haven't tried it)
of my usual sauce.

Take 1 cup of seedless jam (raspberry or blackberry is good) and melt in saucepan. Add 2 Tablespoons Balsamic vinegar salt and pepper. Viola - sauce! Put this on the duck the last hour or so of cooking. Serve with addional sauce on the side!

Karen
Wed, Dec-18-02, 19:37
Hi ginger!

The concept of the recipe looks sound, but the cooking instructions are :thdown:. You'll end up with port and apples floating in duck fat.

The advice you've been given about pricking the duck like mad and that it will only serve two people is true. If you have the time to do a trial run, it would be good. I always advise people never to try out a new recipe on an important occasion unless they are totally confident with it.

Using the same flavours in the duck with port, this is what I would do...

Roast Duck

1 (5 1/2-pound) duck
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
4 apples, peeled cored and cut into 1/4's
4 cloves
1/2 bottle port wine
1 1/4 cups chicken stock, home made, not canned

Season both the outside and inside of the duckling with salt and pepper. Let sit on a rack, overnight in the fridge. Do not cover. This helps the skin crisp. Dry thoroughly.

Combine the apples, port and cloves in a bowl. Cover and refrigerate overnight.

Place the duck breast-side up in a roasting pan on a rack and place in the center of a 425F preheated oven for 15 minutes. Reduce the oven temperature to 350F and roast for 1 to 1 1/2 hours. Remove accumulated fat occasionally with a bulb baster.

Drain the apples and reserve the port. Scatter the apples around the duck for the last 1/2 hour of cooking.

In a large saucepan bring the port to a boil and reduce by half. Add the chicken stock and continue boiling until the liquid thickens.

The duck is done to medium rare if the juices from the fattest part of the thigh or drumstick run faintly rosy when the duck is pricked, When well done, the juices run pale yellow.

Remove the duck from the oven and place on a serving platter. Surround with the apples. Let sit for 10 minutes before carving.

Season the sauce to taste with salt and pepper and serve alongside the duck.

Turnips and rutabagas go really well with duck. So I would roast them with a few sprigs of rosemary. Or, there is a recipe here for Rutabaga with Balsamic Vinegar (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=65007&highlight=rutabaga) that I think is fantastic. I would also do something with spinach - perhaps a puree with garlic and ginger - to cut the richness of the duck a bit.

Because the sauce is sweet, a reisling with good acidity would go well with the duck or a fruity, full bodied zinfandel if you want a red.

Karen

ginkirk
Thu, Dec-19-02, 09:50
You folks are such a valuable resource! And Karen, you are a gem. Thank you so very much for the info. I never would have thought of the apples swimming in duck fat.

Unfortunately, I do not have the luxury of buying two ducks, 1 for testing & 1 for real, but perhaps I could try this out with some duck breasts or something(?). We'll see. Christmas dinner will be my immediate family & Dad, so I won't be terribly embarrassed if it doesn't work out -- but I still would like to be successful. I've already bought the bottle of Port, so I think I will go ahead with this.

The wild rice is not low carb. It is low-er carb though -- as in lower than a lot of other carby side dish possibilities like white rice or potatoes. I'm a total sucker for wild rice & mushrooms.

Thanks again! I will let you guys know how this turns out.

ginkirk
Mon, Dec-30-02, 13:38
The Duck was a Success!!! Left it uncovered over night, as suggested. Racked it & pricked the skin. Before adding the port wine, duck stock & apples, I drained off the fat. Didn't baste the darn thing as much as the recipe called for (opening presents!) but it was still delicious. We actually served it with Shiraz. All in all a great success & I owe it all to your very thoughtful suggestions. Thanks very much