PDA

View Full Version : No-Dairy trial period...

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Janeydi
Sat, Dec-07-02, 07:59
Ok, Captxray, you got me thinking (uh-oh!).

I think I might do a trial period with no dairy, even though I don't think I have a problem with it. My problem with wheat is OBVIOUS to me, but never felt that way about dairy products. I had a bad experience yesterday involving a 1/2 cup heavy cream, 1 T Splenda and 1/2 tsp vanilla! I know it wasn't the vanilla, could very well have been the Splenda, (which I rarely eat) but I'm also eyeing the cream. Hence, my test.

Ok, if I drop dairy, that leaves a big void that will need to be filled. I need some ideas, because filling it with the same things I'm already eating isn't ringin' my bells!

What do you eat in a given day? Do you snack much? Do you eat butter? If you had a journal I wouldn't have to pester you... ;)

Anyone else who is gathering their food with a stick is more than welcome to jump in!

Thanks,

Amy

nsmith4366
Sat, Dec-07-02, 18:37
What do I eat in a day?

Eggs
Protein shakes
tuna/mayo/lettuce
chicken
vegetables/ranch dressing

...who needs dairy?

m1whowaits
Fri, Feb-28-03, 09:37
:idea:
Janeydi,
Many people who have a problem with grains containing gluten (wheat, rye, barley) also have a big lactose problem. The gluten in the grains damages the villi in the small intestines, making it difficult to digest lactose and causing other vitamin and mineral adsorpstion difficulties. I believe myself to be celaic (can't eat gluten) and am currently doing a candida elimination diet which is how I found this board! Went LC without knowing it. www.celiac.com (http://www.celiac.com) This is a good place to start. Good info. If you have other health problems, that may be the cause. I've had digestive problems, chronic fatigue symptoms, anemia, migraines, sinus problems, anxeity and depression at one time or another my entire life. If you think this might be your problem, check into it because hidden gluten is everywhere! Eating a whole food diet with no additives, preservatives, colorings, or flavorings is the safest way to go. And be an ardent label reader. I couldn't believe what wheat is put into!!

You might want to check into a candida overgrowth if you have those and other health issues. Celiac and candidasis can go hand in hand because of the intestinal damage.

Hope this helps!!
If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything,

Wolf
Fri, Feb-28-03, 18:53
...the best treat of my day has always been good strong coffe with a generous dose of half & half. Those days are over, and I know that coffee has the power to lead me down Dairy Street.

Janeydi
Tue, Mar-04-03, 18:49
if you have a problem? I went no-dairy for about a month, didn't see any difference in anything.

I tried to talk to my doctor about food intolerances, but she poo-poo-ed it. Said it was too hard to determine. (I had told her that after eating something with wheat, for example, I would get somewhat congested, post-nasal drip. But I've also had that happen after eating a steak.) So, I really don't know what to look for, in terms of being unable to tolerate some foods.

If I eat wheat for more than a day or two, it affects my mood, and I get tired. That's pretty clear to me, but dairy, don't know. I've gotten to the point where I feel best if I eat some starchy carbs with each meal. Otherwise, I feel very hungry, even though my stomach is actually full. It's that blood sugar thing, I guess.

This sure takes a lot of tweaking. Sometimes I just get tired of the whole thing. Takes up too much of my mental energy, if you know what I mean. Spend entirely too much time thinking about it. I end up ditching this forum because I just have to get away from the whole food thing. It shouldn't be this difficult.

Oh, well. Thanks for listening...on a rant. ;)
Amy

amieK
Tue, Mar-18-03, 13:35
This sure takes a lot of tweaking. Sometimes I just get tired of the whole thing. Takes up too much of my mental energy, if you know what I mean. Spend entirely too much time thinking about it. I end up ditching this forum because I just have to get away from the whole food thing. It shouldn't be this difficult.

I hear yah, sister!

I was getting pretty frustrated too. Then I was revisiting Dr Phil's book Life Strategies . He talked about getting something accomplished by moving it up to what he terms project status . This means making it a priority until the thing is accomplished and accepting it will take time, effort and probably some expense too. Like any project like a home reno or sewing a quilt.

Don't know if that helps you any, but it did help me work through my resentment.

Take care,
amieK
:wave: