PDA

View Full Version : Long boring illumination and pledge

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

chocolate
Fri, Dec-06-02, 04:50
This is going to be long and boring but you’re welcome to read it and any comments will be appreciated. If you don’t have the stomach for it I won’t be offended!! :D

After ages of dieting with varying success, last night I had a long think and a conscience check and this is what I came up with. The WOE that I’ve managed to stick to for the longest with no cheating (even at mega-luncheons) has been CAD. Note that I’ve tried them all from Atkins to PP, from Scarsdale to WW, from starvation to trying to eat “normally”. They just don’t work for me. So CAD it is. So I had better make it work for me!!

The first time I tried CAD it was a binge at RM and guilt trips afterwards :( . The second time I tried CAD I stopped bingeing but ate the most unhealthy foods possible, always overdid it and was perennially digesting (but it wasn’t a real binge, cause believe me, when I binge I can beat the best!! ;) ). For all these reasons I didn’t lose any weight but I didn’t gain either :thup: . Then TOM came with PMS and I spent 3 days bawling, feeling fat and ugly and saying the usual: I’ll never be as thin as I’d really like, I’ll always have a butt 2 sizes bigger than the rest of me, I’ve tried so hard blablabla. Then last night I had a real good conscience check and decided to kick some butt (mine!!) and I have decided that it’s really time to take this WOE as a long term thing, and not a way to eat like a pig without putting on weight, and then bawling about it and saying that nothing works. I must not only eat to satisfy my palate but also my body’s needs and my health. So I wrote down the PROS and CONS of this woe and this is what I came up with:

PROS
-Blood sugar is stable and under control
-I’m never hungry and I never get the shakes
-Bloating, stomach cramps, and horrible noises in my tummy have stopped completely
-I really enjoy carbs instead of eating them compulsively without tasting them
-I feel in control
-My self esteem has soared
-Food is not my only thought
-I digest

CONS
I really couldn’t come up with one!!! Not one!!! Really!!!

So this is my pledge to myself, which I’m making publicly :

1. I’m going to do CAD because it’s the only woe that works for me
2. I’m going to eat healthy foods like fruit and yoghurt and veggies and healthy proteins at my RM instead of making it an excuse to eat sugary junk food and fill up on it. Bad carbs will be exceptions, not the rule.
3. I realize that calories DO count for me, so I’ll decide on a calorie level and stick to it.
4. I’ll drink my water, which I haven’t been so great at either!!

Accepting CAD with my body, my brain and my heart has taken quite a few steps because it’s hard to go against the grain (no pun intended) of what we have always been taught, but I truly feel that finally I have taken the final step towards belief and acceptance of my carb problem and of this woe.

I have made this promise to myself, it’s not the usual new year’s resolution that gets broken on the 3rd of January. I need your help (I’m not proud) because nobody believes in this but me. I’ll change, I will lose weight, this will work for me and others will see, but in the meantime I need your support.

For those of you who have got this far, thanks for reading. I guess I wrote this out more for myself than for anyone else, just to get it down and get it out and to be able to admit that this is the only way for me to have any control over my life. I’ll re-read it every time I start to doubt.

Thanks again

Choc

Zuleikaa
Fri, Dec-06-02, 08:52
Choc
I feel you and know where you're coming from. I have been there, believe me. This is the only WOE/WOL that works for me, too. It is a relief to take stock, to be painfully honest with yourself, ouch! and realize you have to take things seriously. This is your LIFE you're talking about! It's also a matter of sanity.

I will always be here to support you. You can call on me any time.

chocolate
Fri, Dec-06-02, 09:09
You're great!!!!

Affectionate hugs!!!
Choc

PS Have a great weekend, mine starts in 48 minutes ;)

skyspinner
Fri, Dec-06-02, 19:49
Yay, chocolate......you're back!!! Good to see you here again.

Yep, this plan is The One, ain't it? Have a wonderful weekend, and come on back here Monday and tell us how great ya feel! :lol:

sabregirl
Sat, Dec-07-02, 11:12
Hi Choc, I'm pretty new at this (about 6 weeks) and I'm going through the exact same things that you described. This WOE makes me feel the best physically, but I haven't been losing weight and have felt pretty down. Why? Because of many of the same reasons that you described..e.g., using the RM as a way to pig out and satisfy every possible craving without gaining weight. It's nice to know that I'm not the only one struggling with this. I think your post was great because it let someone like me see it all down in black and white. Hard to delude yourself when you see it in front of you. So, thanks very much. Wishing you the best in your endeavor. :)

plum
Mon, Dec-09-02, 04:56
hi Chocolate
neither long nor boring, just interesting and educational.
I have to agree with all your "pro s" and yes I think its important not to unbalance the RM, something which for me would be very easy to do. Im getting over this at the minute by planning ahead.

xxxx good luck to you and us all !!

chocolate
Mon, Dec-09-02, 06:13
Your comments are of great help and it's nice to hear that someone's out there.

I just wanted to add something to my pledge: I will not weigh myself any more. I've put my electronic scale in the trunk of my car and I've taken the battery out and hidden it in my office. Obviously I can take home the battery and the scale and weigh myself but symbolically this move should help!

Anyway the point is that I'm tired of having the scale command my moods. Last night I got home and weighed myself (dumb! dumb! dumb!) and found a weight I didn't like so I binged! Then I went into a deep depression and had a bout of the worst self hate I've had for ages. This morning I woke up feeling much better and more reasonable and more positive, hence the scale move!

I'm going to judge my progress by my self-control and my health and if I lose weight (which I will know about by the way my clothes fit) that's great but I refuse the emotional rollercoaster of weighing every time I go to the bathroom.

That's all. Today I'm ok and back on board, so much the wiser!!!
Have a good day everyone!
C.

Zuleikaa
Mon, Dec-09-02, 09:31
Chocolate
Again, I hear you. I refused to have a scale in the house for over ten years until I recently bought one. I didn't like weighing controlling my moods either. I do much better without one on maintaining my eating patterns and routines. Nothing is going to sway me from my WOE. After all, it means my survival! But I do find that my response affects my exercise patterns. If it's good, I exercise with a smile. If it's bad, I have to force myself to exercise and often skip it! It also affects how I feel about myself. I can ususally fight the negativity but sometimes I just don't have the energy.

I think getting rid of the scale is a positive thing. Your emotional health and your WOE has to be your priority. So many things can make your weight fluctuate that have very little to do with being on plan!