PDA

View Full Version : Jicama

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Pokey
Mon, Dec-02-02, 09:13
Does anyone know how many cal and carbs and etc are in Jicama. I think it is a Vegetable. But i cant find anything about it.
Thanks,
Pokey
:wave:

Pokey
Mon, Dec-02-02, 09:39
Oh yeah! I had another question. Can we use Substitute eggs? Reason being they are lower in Colestrol. But are they good otherwise for the PP WOE?
Pokey

mizholly
Mon, Dec-02-02, 18:34
Hey Pokey!

Jicama is definitely a "thumb's up" for our way of eating. It is listed as a 'yam bean tuber' in Corine Netzer's Food Counts book. 1/2 cup raw=5.3 carbs. It is wonderful in salads and just raw out of hand.

If you haven't tried this:
Jicama thinly sliced, spread with cream cheese and sprinkled with Cinammon Splenda - heavenly!

I even cook Jicama in the pressure cooker with SF cider mix (Alpine), spices & a bit of Splenda and use it in my Chicken Jicama Salad - which is like a mock-Waldorf salad. So nummy!

I don't see any problem with "fake" eggs, just watch the carb count. We use them all time and they are lower in fat, about the same in protein - definitely a good thing!

Stay well!

Holly :roll:

Pokey
Tue, Dec-03-02, 09:12
Thank you so much for all your advice.
Pokey

MKGretchen
Thu, Dec-26-02, 15:32
I love the idea of the jicama sliced thin and sprinkled with Splenda and cinnamon. I have a Bruner slicer and I can slice thick or thin with it and am going to try it soon.