PDA

View Full Version : Products/Shops in NY

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Scarlet
Sun, Dec-01-02, 11:51
I am going to New York in janruary ( I am SOOOOOOO excited) and want to take the oppertunity to fill my suitcase with LC products. So where can I get them in NY? Are there any LC cafes or anything?

Thanks a lot people!

Scarlet
Wed, Dec-04-02, 12:49
Help People! There must be some LC stuff in a HUGE city like New York!

IslandGirl
Fri, Dec-06-02, 13:57
Hey, Scarlet, I'm thinking that since this Forum is about products specifically and individually, and your question is about New York, you just might get some better answers in the Local Low Carbing US forum.... so I'll be moving your post there.

Meanwhile, have you used the SEARCH feature (see the globe on the upper right of your screen) to find existing posts from the thousands of members here? Or checked the Low-Carb Yellow Pages (see the Fingers logo under Quick Links on the right)? You may be able to help yourself more than by waiting for others to take the time to possibly repeat information they've already provided.

Hope this helps.

Sig: Products Moderator

Scarlet
Tue, Dec-17-02, 12:48
Help please! There must be some New Yorkers here!

Pearlis
Wed, Dec-25-02, 22:09
On the Atkins site they have have a store locator which you might want to try. If you are looking for non Atkins products, I have found that a lot of health food stores and vitamin stores carry lc products. Sorry if I'm not of much help but have fun in New York :)

Madlyn
Sun, Jan-12-03, 13:42
Where in NY are you going to stay? If you are going to New York City,there is a store called the Whole Foods Store. You can look up the location on their web site. If you are staying elsewhere, tell me where and maybe I can help out. Hope I'm not too late.

Madlyn

Karen
Sun, Jan-12-03, 15:09
I just came back from NYC and was surprised that I couldn't find a LC Lifestyle type store there. I looked through the phone book, made calls, asked the concierge and nada. The concierge did direct me to a natural foods store called Westerly which was a great store but only had a small badly maintained LC ghetto that was mostly Atkins products, syrups, and a few packages of LC tortillas. :thdown: I couldn't believe it for a city of that size! I was actually staying a few blocks away from the Atkins Center. :lol:

There were no LC specific restaurants either, but it's pretty easy to eat LC unless you go to a restaurant that serves nothing but carbs.

Karen

Margotogym
Sun, Jan-19-03, 18:19
I went a very large Vitamin shop chain in Huntington Station New YOrk on Long Island not too long ago and found a HUGE section that offered Dr. ATkins products. Seems like most other products that aren't Dr. ATkins products and are so called low carb contain 5 grams or more?? :confused: Anyone want to go into business with me here on the east coast?? :wave:

Twiggy
Thu, Jan-23-03, 08:03
Hi Scarlet and Karen :wave: I am so sorry I missed this thread. I live in Manhattan; have been here for nearly two decades.

Karen is telling the 100% truth when she says there are no low carb specific stores or restaurants here. Most health food stores are as she described: dusty little LC ghettos that carry nothing more than a few jars of Atkins mixes. The health food store around the corner from me still seems to cater to the low-fat, meatless crowd. I find it truly strange, especially since LC has gotten so much media attention, including the huge article in the NYTimes. I do my shopping at grocery stores and gourmet shops. Believe it or not, I have had a difficult time finding Splenda and full fat yogurts! :rolleyes:
As to eating out, I never have a problem either. Plenty of place to find good steaks, lamb chops, seafood and other low carb treats.

I hope you both had a wonderful time in our great city! :)

Madlyn
Fri, Jan-24-03, 15:39
Its true there are no Low Carb specific stores, but I have been able to find some products at the Whole Food Market. There are two locations in NYC area:

Manhasset
Whole Foods Market
2101 Northern Blvd.
Manhasset, NY 11030
516.869.9250 fax
Store hours: 8 a.m. to 9 p.m. seven days a week.
view map

New York
Whole Foods Market
250 7th Avenue at 24th Street
New York, NY 10001
212.924-9923 fax
Store hours: 8 a.m. to 10 p.m. seven days a week.

http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/company/locations.html

Here are a few products that are good for low carb diets that I get there. Whole Milk Yogart, and Whole Grain crackers with no sugar or honey. I also grind my own almond and peanut butter and that has no sugar added. A huge assortment of cheeses. Organic meats and poultry. Splenda is available in all large supermarkets now. There is so much more there, its a major grocery store.

Madlyn

Karen
Sun, Jan-26-03, 15:50
I hope you both had a wonderful time in our great city!

I did! I did! I only wished I could have stayed longer! :(

It's the best place I know of for just walkin' around and taking it all in.

Karen

Pobo
Mon, Feb-24-03, 14:25
Hi. I live in NYC but spend weekends in Westchester County (20 miles from NYC). As already noted, I don't know of any stores that sell LC products in NY. I usually stop by GNC to pick up a few treats, or buy on-line.

However, in Yonkers, on Central Avenue (rte 100), just north of the library (area is called Tuckahoe), there is a store that sells sugar free products - lots of Atkins and other brands, as well. Breads, pizza, desserts, pasta's, etc. I don't remember the name; Sugar free something. They are not open on Sundays.

Pobo

LindaC6724
Thu, Feb-27-03, 13:09
You sure can, directly from Dr. Robert Atkins himself on 53rd Street between 3rd and Lexington Avenues. He has his low carb store there too. :thup:

cathafer46
Mon, Sep-15-03, 17:19
there is a store in plainview NY .. called "your weigh to success" everything in the store is low carb...icecream, candy, bread, bagels, frozen soups, and foods, cheesecakes, bars, cookies, chips, syrups, drinks, everything ..its great!

Kareny
Sat, Sep-27-03, 05:31
I had read on this forum months ago that someone thought there was a low-carb enclave near Bloomingdale's. I happened to be by Bloomie's the other day and decided on a whim to walk the block around the store and see if I could find it. And voila! I was very pleased to find it with little difficulty.

It's another branch of Your Weigh to Success. I can't remember the exact street address (I think it's off of Third Ave?), but if you go to Bloomingdale's and go to the southeast corner of the Bloomie's block, YWTS is across the street on your right. I can't believe more people on this forum haven't been swamping the place.

It's small, but it's a low-carb heaven! I bought several frozen blintzes in a variety of flavors, Baja Bob's margarita mix, granola, some candy bars, etc. They had cheesecakes, Davinci syrups, cereals, pastas, etc. I usually find these things in the little enclaves in the health food stores, too (Westerly Natural Foods, at 54th St. and 8th Ave, as well as The Health Nuts up on Broadway around 75th or 76th are my favorites), but just about everything in this store was allowed. Heaven.

I was also pleased to note that the other customers stocking up around me, two very midtown NYC-esque blond ladies at the time, were skinny as rails. We know this, of course, but it's nice to see it.

I also just started working in the Times Square area and found a little place that should be good for any tourists coming into town if you need a quick low-carb snack. The name of it is the Green something-or-other (sorry I can't be of more help) and it's located on 43rd between 7th and 8th, just down the block from the Times building. It's over-priced, but then everything in Times Square is, and very little in Times Square is really low-carb.

Ariana
Thu, Oct-09-03, 11:21
Hi Kareny,
I too found the low carb store by bloomindales by accident! My only problem with it is that just about everything there I can get much cheaper somewhere else.. i.e. davinci syrups at tjmaxx, todd's bagels at healthnuts, any atkins product at vitamin shoppe etc. But your right its nice to get things at one place sometimes :)

I'll share my latest low-carb find incase there are any other NYers reading this:

Porto Ricco Importing Company Sells Torani SF syrups for $5.50 for 750ml bottle!
There on bleeker between mcdougal and 6th ave.
they also have HEAVENLY coffee by the pound, its probably the worlds best smelling store!

One other intersting thing, the supermarket where I do most of my grocery shopping (food emporium on union square) just started this week posting little tabs that say "low carb" below every low carb food item in the store! I wonder where they GET their idea that something is low carb.. for example they have V8 as low carb when I wouldn't drink it but its all subjective I guess. Anyway its cool that its catching on so much and maybe I'll find some new products that way!