PDA

View Full Version : help! going to need ammo for MD appointment

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

CindySue48
Wed, Nov-27-02, 16:14
Since starting Atkins, I've lost 24 pounds. Just before starting on Atkins, I had my lipids done. (fasting)

results:
Total Cholesterol: 265
HDL: 36
LDL: 229 (estimate...I'm told if triglyc > 400 number isn't accurate)
Triglycerides: 424

I had them redrawn about 4 weeks ago (after 2+ months low-carb) . (non-fasting....but over 4hrs since I'd eaten)

results:
Total Cholesterol: 329
HDL: 33
LDL: 256
Triglycerides: 201

Now, this past monday I had them redrawn, this time fasting, and I don't yet have the results, but based on the non-fasting, I'm anticipating a battle with my doc. After the first set she wanted me on Lipitor....so I imagine she'll want that even more now!

I've had some kind of neurological "event"....neurologist doesn't think it was a stroke...but he did recomend going on meds....so that's not going to help any either....nor is the info that my dad had a stroke at a fairly young age (63).

I've been reading up on the AA link, and think that might be my problem...although I've had a great improvement in my arthritis since I started LC????? So does that disprove that idea? I have all the rest of the symptoms...trouble sleeping, brittle nails, chronic fatigue, dry skin, etc etc etc. I also have a fairly severe problem with fluid retention (which I read somewhere is also a symptom). I also show a fairly consistently increased sed rate (an indicator of inflammation).

Anyway....I do not want to go on the meds. I figure I'll try the AA test....stop red meat and egg yolks...and see what happens. This should (according to PP) reduce my cholesterol numbers.

My question? How am I going to convince the doc that this is what's going on? or might be going on? She was not al all receptive to LC! I requested a 3 month trial to try "on my own" to get my cholesterol down...and she gave it, reluctantly. I figured even if it went down just a bit I could show her that it had gone up on low-fat (last year, prior to low-fat Cholesterol was around 345...don't know the other numbers)...and down, even if just a bit on LC....but now what?!?!?! How am I going to convince her? Or maybe, with these results I should go on meds?

I've been pretty faithfully following the LC, and I've been exercising...cardio 3X/week and weights 2-3X/week. I feel so much better since I've been low-carbing.

I thought about just taking the prescription and not filling it, but I know she'll want to have my levels done again in a few weeks. And if there's not a dramatic change she'll figure out that I'm not taking them.

Any ideas? thoughts?I don't know what do do or think! I'm so confused!!! HELP!!!!!

Additional Info:
According to my calculations, I get on average, 60% fat (72 gms), 6% carbs (25 gms) and 35% Protein(94 gms).

Average day:

8AM: Protein shake with egg beaters OR scrambled eggs with cheese along with bacon or sausage.

10:30: egg omelette with cheese, someimtes bacon or sausage added....if I have eggs earlier, I usually have a small salad with a little bit of meat (1-2 oz)

1PM: salad with lettuce, sometimes celery and chicked, sometimes add parmesan cheese

3:30PM: tuna with veggie or more chick and salad

6PM: meat (hamburg, steak, ham, or chicken) and veggie (broccoli, brussel sprouts, green beans)

9PM: snack of a few olives or 1 oz nuts

Meds: Oxybutinin (for bladder spasms), HRT, Motrin, Prilosec, ASA

Supplements: Calcium, MultiVit, Vit E, Vit C, B complex, B6, ALA, "Aspara Plus" (Dr A's for fluid retention) and taurine (also Dr A's advice for fluid retention)

Rosebud
Wed, Nov-27-02, 16:46
Hi CindySue,

Have you read what the Drs Eades say about lowering cholesterol?

I now take fish oil capsules (also helps my arthritis ;) ) and daily psyllium husks on their recommendation.

My LDL was still high last time I was tested (in April). It was 4.5 (173.7). Despite the fact that my trig were low and my HDL very high - 2.8 (108), my GP still wanted me to take Lipitor.
We had a bit of a disagreement about it and now I just don't mention it.

I think the whole cholesterol thing tends to be blown way out of proportion. Have a read of this website and see what you think:
http://www.ravnskov.nu/cholesterol.htm

There's also some good info in this previous thread on cholesterol. (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=23380&highlight=recipe+mock+danish)

Cheers, matey.

:rose:Rosebud:rose:

penelope
Wed, Nov-27-02, 16:53
I was taken off Lipitor last month.
My readings were good
:sunny: Pene

CindySue48
Wed, Nov-27-02, 16:58
Rosebud

I did try the fishoil caps and got a terrible reaction! I itched from head to toe....so I stopped it.

I'm not concerned about my cholesterol....well, not really....it's my doc that I'm concerned with! I've read the Eades articles, as well as Ravnskov...which is really why I'm not too concerned.

And I've been reading threads almost all day!

I should mention too that although the neurologist doesn't think I've had a stroke, he did say there were "white areas" (on MRI) that may indicate old vascular problems....and that my vessels were all clear! Now, being a nurse, I know the white areas, while sometiems indiciative of "mini-stroke" or TIA, they are not uncommon and really don't mean much....but the fact that my vessels are clean is a very good indication!

Cindy

freydis
Wed, Nov-27-02, 17:48
Well, for starters, you could point to the fact that your triglycerides have halved! That is one of the biggest indicators of heart disease and is actually MUCH more important than the overall number. Also, 4 hours fasting is NOT enough - the overall numbers could be higher simply because you didn't do 12-14 hours of fasting before the test.

I'm a heart patient, 2-year survivor of triple bypass. My health was getting worse by the month until I started Atkins. Now, I'm getting better by the month. My doctor who, when I started was entirely opposed to Atkins/Low-carb, is now on the diet and has lost 29 lbs himself.

So, who knows your body and your health better? Is it you or the doctor? My own experience has 99% of the time been that I know my health/body better than anyone else. I have, on occasion, refused urgent care because of it.

Lisa N
Wed, Nov-27-02, 19:07
Bottom line.

No matter how much your doctor wants you to take Lipitor (or another drug for that matter), YOU are the one who has to live with the consequences of taking it. Docs can fuss and fume and even refuse to continue to treat you, but at the end of it you still have the right to say, "No. I don't want to do that.".
Doctors can advise you; that's what you are paying them to do...they can't force you to follow that advice.

CindySue48
Wed, Nov-27-02, 19:53
Docs can fuss and fume and even refuse to continue to treat you, but at the end of it you still have the right to say, "No. I don't want to do that.".

yes I realize that...I'm a nurse....unfortunately, there is a major problem with getting a new doc around here, and I can't afford to be without one!

I'm looking for research that shows little difference in lowering cholesterol....and/or reasons for it going up with the start of a new diet/exercise plan. I'm thinking, since cholesterol is used to make/repair cells, that it's up because I've been doing resistance training??? IE muscles are building, therefore my body is producing more cholesterol????

I've been searching for info all day....but can't find any.

I can find papers by the Eades and Ravnskov....but I'm looking for research!

Lisa N
Fri, Nov-29-02, 11:17
You might want to check out the link in Sheldon's post http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=72986 It shows pretty clearly that those with lower cholesterol didn't fare much better than those with high cholesterol when it comes to heart disease.

I can also share my experience with you. When I started low carbing in April of 2001, my total cholesterol looked good at 189 but my triglycerides and LDL were both high with my tris over 300. Six months later, my total had jumped to 229 but my triglycerides had dropped over 200 points to 143 and my HDL had gone up to 50 as well as my LDL going up to 150 from 140 (something I attibuted to the beta shift) and my doc wanted me to go on Lipitor. I asked for 6 months to work on it myself and at the end of that six months, my total was down to 177 and my LDL was down to 108 with my tryglycerides lower than before at 127. The only thing I wasn't pleased with is that my HDL had dropped to 43; still normal, but I'd like it back around 50 or higher.
What did I change? Not much. I cut back a bit on the bacon and sausage a bit and added some supplements which included Red Yeast Rice, Fish oil and No-flush Niacin.
You could also try that combination along with some Guggul lipids and I'd be willing to bet that you'll have much better results with no side effects than with the Lipitor. See if your doc is willing to let you try supplements for 3 months before you agree to going on Lipitor. Good luck!

CindySue48
Sat, Nov-30-02, 00:57
I found it!

LOL on the AHA site itself! LOL There is a link on there that tells you what your risk is....after filling out a fairly detailed questionare! I come up LOW RISK....even with my numbers the way they are! It does say with the LDL that I have meds might be considered....but I'm just going to talk her into giving me more time!

I do not have CAD....neither of my parents did....and I don't remember any family member ever dying of it! I think that's all in my favor!

I've got that....and a few other articles I found on here....including sheldon't link....and I'm jsut going to fight this! I just cannot see how interfering with your body's normal function can be good! And...since there is kidney damage in my family history, I figure I'm more at risk from that than CAD!

Thanks to all who've responded....I'll keep you informed!