PDA

View Full Version : Mood and Low Carbing

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

jenn
Sun, Nov-24-02, 14:39
Hey Everyone,

I am back behaving myself after an extended vacation in France where it was both difficult and expensive to stay on program...or maybe I just didn't try hard enough. I was wondering, though, if anyone else noticed a dramatic mood change when LCing...now that I am back to my 'real' life, eating properly and starting to exercise regularly, I feel so much more positive and clear headed. I am not talking about a minor effect. I really became moody and though I tried to hide it, rather irritable as if a black cloud was hovering overhead. I also felt strangely indifferent to the whole vacation experience. I dont think I'll ever go on vacation again unless I have access to a kitchen. I just found it so hard eating in restaurants every meal to maintain my healthy WOL. The wine + too many desserts + not enough water + not enough protein seems to have really affected me.

I really noticed that after a week back, a certain feeling of control over my life and general well being. Does anyone know of studies that suggest that LC does impact on mood? For the first time in my life, I think I understand what people are talking about when they describe a chemical depression...

Glad to be back,

Thanks for your support over this last year,

Jenn

Kristine
Sun, Nov-24-02, 20:33
Hi Jenn! Hope you enjoyed your trip, anyway. :( I'm sure jet lag and stress were contributors, too.

But to answer your question, <b>yes</b>, I've noticed my mood decline badly when I'm 'cheating,' and it can be very swift and drastic. I had a lot of chocolate and junk food on Friday and Saturday, and by Saturday night when I'd normally be enjoying myself at the club we go to, I was miserable. Actually, I was angry. Angry and paranoid, for no reason. I wanted to punch a hole in the wall. I can almost understand now why a lot of people get themselves in trouble because of their anger. :exclm:

And no, it's not PMS. ;)

I don't know of any studies to back it up, but IIRC, carbs greatly affect serontonin levels and mood.

Janeydi
Mon, Nov-25-02, 08:10
Grouchy, touchy, moody...and in case anyone wonders about the exercise aspect, I would feel TONS better just by getting the carbs out again. Meaning, I wasn't exercising before or after. For me, wheat seems to be the worst. I can handle a little real sugar, but wheat whacks me out. I've often thought about this issue with women who also had post-partum depression thrown in. Yikes...no wonder some horrible things happen.

Amy

ndelacourt
Sat, Dec-21-02, 17:29
I too have been "cheating" this past week....breaded chicken, a few chocolates here and there...and OHMIGOD!! I feel like I need to get on anti-anxiety, anti-depressants.

I am so moody, and irritable. I have absolutely no patience. And I gained 2 lbs in the process.

I need to get back on it ASAP!

Natascha