PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Natrushka

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

krc
Thu, Nov-21-02, 15:22
Hope to find Natrushka here. Penelope suggested I ask your opinion on PP versus Atkins based on my work out level (As you've guessed I'm in a stall). Here is my normal routine 2 ot 3 times a week (ps: I also live at 7,300 feet in the mountains of colorado so working out at serious altitude):

30 minutes on the eliptical with resistance on 9 (or 10) and incline alternates 6 - 12 at 5minute intervals usually with an average heart rate around 150.

assisted dip and pull up sets (1 wide arm, 1military style, 1classic pullup) at 40 lbs 3 sets of 10 each

back and bicep machines at 20lbs 4 sets of 10 ( I think I need to up my lbs)

bench press machine at 40lbs 4 sets of 10

100 ab crunches on the exercise ball

4 sets of 10 side crunches each side with a 5lb weight

4 sets of 10 leg lifts in the roman chair

I'm not really sure what the differences are in the two plans other than allowing caffiene and alchohol (neither fo which I really eat anyway). What are your thoughts?

Natrushka
Thu, Nov-21-02, 20:34
Originally posted by krc
I'm not really sure what the differences are in the two plans other than allowing caffiene and alchohol (neither fo which I really eat anyway). What are your thoughts?

Hi Kim :) I peaked in on your journal and saw the excellent advice you've received thus far :thup: I second Lux's suggestion on keeping track of your calories for a little while, just to get a handle on what you're eating (or not eating as the case may be). Penelope is right, eating too little while working out very intensely is counter productive. Think of your body as a machine. Machines need fuel to function. The protein you feed your body will go toward repairing tissue for the most part; fat and carbs are used for fuel. It's vital when following a lower carb WOE that fat be high enough to provide this. Some carbs will be required as well.

The biggest difference between Atkins and Protein Power, IMHO, is that PP has you figure out your minimum protein requirement and has you ensure that every meal or snack contains part of that protein. This is something that would greatly benefit you as you're very active. There are forumals in the book explaining how to go about optaining your Lean Body Mass (LBM) and percentage of body fat, from this you can determine minimum protein needs (you also factor activity levels into this). Protein Power also encourages resistance training (weight lifting) and the use of interval / cardio work - things you're doing already :thup:

You can get a more detailed explanation of both plans by clicking on the Link on the right hand side of every page "Which low carb plan is right for me (http://www.lowcarb.ca/atkins-diet-and-low-carb-plans/index.html)?" - there you'll also find sample menus for both.

I would also recommend having a look through the stuck thread in the general exercise forum "The Best Weight Training Exercises" by Trainerdan. You'll get lots of tips and hints on working out with weights. "Advice for the beginner" (even though you may not be) is another good read.

Keeping that journal updated with menus and activity will go along way to helping you figure out what works best for you. It will also provide a history so that others can help, if you find you need it again.

Cheers :)
Nat

krc
Fri, Nov-22-02, 15:03
Thanks Natrushka for your advice. I'll check out the PP book. I like the idea of specific protien levels as well as minimum carbs.

I've been working out fairly consistantly ( I have two small kids so consistant is a relative term) for the past year and a half. I feel pretty strong and fairly solid but both of my girls came C-section and my middle just doesn't respond to anything.

By the way, do you know if I'm supposed to count a carb for an 8 oz glass of splenda sweetened Diet Rite. I've been adding it in but not quite certain.

Natrushka
Fri, Nov-22-02, 15:55
Kim, I would imagine that there'd be some carbs in a diet rite, but I don't drink them, so off hand I couldn't give you the exact number. There's a fantastic carb counter tool on this site though; right atop every page in orange highlight under "Low Carb Tools" - it should be listed there. If not, the LC products forum should have some posts on it (being that it is sweetened with splenda it's a popular diet drink among LCers).

Cheers,
Nat