PDA

View Full Version : Ready to get tested

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

earthangel
Mon, Nov-18-02, 20:50
Hi!!! I'm Angel and I just joined about 3 days ago I believe. I have had a lot of difficulty loosing weight and I just started Atkins today as a last resort. I have never had a normal mestrual cycle, but I always thought it was my age. But I will be 18 in 10 months and there is something wrong here.

I gained 50 lbs. in a matter of months with little effort.
I am constantly depressed.
I have tons of trouble concenrating.
Cannot get pregnant.
Totally bizarre periods.
Lack of interest in things.

I have never gotten any straight answers on my health. After a bout with depression that can and hit and then "went away" I have been stuck with this extra weight. I am going to demand the answers and seek help. Any experiences or opinions would be wonderful.

:angel:

SlimShAdY
Tue, Nov-19-02, 08:22
Hey Angel,

Um did you happen to post in the wrong forum by mistake or something because all the symptoms you listed can go along with thyroid problems.. But everything you said sounds more like depression...

If it was thyroid, you'd more than likely have other symptoms and problems.. like always cold, dry hair falling out, dry skin, theres a list under the sticky link at the top of the forum....

And you might not like my opinions but you asked.. :o

I gained 50 lbs. in a matter of months with little effort.
You said you had depression and it "went away"..So if you mean it went away because you are or were on meds.... THAT is why you gained 50lbs. But even if you weren't on meds, weight gain can also be either a thyroid problem or depression.

constantly depressed
Thats understandable when you gain 50lbs.....
I have tons of trouble concenrating.
erm that could be either I guess..
Cannot get pregnant.
Don't even want to know why on earth you're trying to get pregnant at 17...Not for nothing, but that could be depression related.cause some ppl think if they have a baby they'll feel better... But anyways, As for thyroid, people with thyroid problems can get pregnant. But you also say you have really messed up periods, if your bodys that messed up, it might be too messed up to get pregnant right now too...
Totally bizarre periods.
LOTS of things can throw your period out of wack. You're age could still deffinetly be the reason. Stress, change in diet & exercise, any kind of medication..ect.
Lack of interest in things
Um another depression symptom..

Unless you have other symptoms you haven't mentioned, I don't see why you think its your thyroid... :confused: :confused: :confused:

giggle4fun
Tue, Nov-19-02, 12:42
Angel

Just so you know, I'm 26, I have insulin resistence, I'm hypothyroid caused by Hashimoto's Disease (autoimmune disease that attacks the thyroid killing it slowly), and I'm TTC. I agree with alot of what SlimShady said...you do sound like you might have a thyroid problem. But then again...maybe not. So many people have so many different symptoms. Many times, when your thyroid levels are off you experience many depression-like symptoms which is why so many of us end up on Prozac or Xanex needlessly. If you are having trouble concentrating and feelings of depression come and go, take yourself to the doctor and do just like you said..demand answers. I highly recommend checking out the website thyroid.about.com and read :read: read :read: read before you even step foot in the doctor's office. Battling a thyroid disorder is uphill both ways and the more informed you are the better the results...

Another thought for you to consider...wacky periods could be a sign of PCOS. You sound like you have some symptoms of that as well. It's an endocrine disorder also and could be playing hand in hand with a thyroid problem. Both contributing to a fertility problem. :confused:

Now..the part of my opinon you may not like...if you DO have a thyroid problem (and possibly PCOS) you should NOT be thinking of a baby right now. Even if you don't, having episodes of depression aren't healthy either! It makes you a candidate for post partum depression. Do you really want to chance that during a joyous time? First and formost, you should be concentrating on your overall health and wellness. You can't possibly be a happy and effective mother if you are unwell..in any manner. Also, undiagnosed hypothyroidism has been linked to Down's babies and other mental retardation issues. That's just ONE more reason to get your health in order before getting pregnant. Generally, hypothyroid women do have a tougher time getting pregnant but it is definately something that can be overcome with time, patience, and sometimes medical intervention. If you ARE trying to get pregnant, you should be seeing a OBGYN for preconception tests anyways and a good one will test your thyroid as part of the preconception testing.

I don't know why at 17 you are trying to get pregnant...honestly, it's not my place or right to judge that decision. But you should realize that as part of being a good mommy is protecting your children at all costs and that includes getting healthy BEFORE they are even an gleam in your eye. All anyone wants is a smooth and uneventful pregnancy with a healthy happy baby to show for it. How can you possibly accomplish either if there are lingering questions about your health that, if true, could compromise both? I can completely understand the impatience that comes with not getting pregnant. I found out about my my health problems at a preconception appointment 15 months ago. I had dreams of being a mommy already but pregnancy and motherhood come with an extraordinary amount of stress...why add to it...

Good luck....

earthangel
Tue, Nov-19-02, 18:30
Ok... I do have to doa lot of research and what not. I just don't want to send the wrong message here. In an effort of clear things up, I AM NOT TRYING TO GET PREGNANT...I considered it a factor that I used to want a kind back when I was stupid, and alone, and depressed. I try now not to be depressed. I just lost my grandmother 1 month ago, we were very close and I have been a little on edge lately. I have been on PROVERA becausemy period was nonexistant for an entire year. If I don't take it I don't get it. Now I have it and it won't go away. I am no longer taking provera. (NOT SINCE AUGUST) Been spotting for almost 2 months. I'm afraid and I don't know what's wrong with me. I considered everything when I decided that it might be my thyroid I decided that I should get tested right away. I almost refuse to do the Atkins diet if I don't lose weight in a few weeks because that is a sign that there is something wrong. This thing works for virtually everyone, right :q:

mbschlgr
Tue, Nov-19-02, 19:06
Angel,

A lot of the things that you have mentioned can be a cause for your weight gain, Provera, depression, thyroid...

The best thing you can do is be honest with your Dr. about all of your symptoms and be sure they get to the root of the problem

earthangel
Wed, Nov-20-02, 00:22
I'm just trying to take it one day at a time with everything and keep my head clear. I haven't even made the Dr. Appointment yet. They checked me all out for PCOS and they have found nothing. I have a lot of PCOS symptoms though but that's another story. I don't want any kinds right now. I want a degree in nursing as well as business, I want to open my own nursing agency. That'll be pretty hard to accomplish with a baby on my hip. ThanX all for advice and support. I hope I didn't scare anyone

PS any other advice will be appreciated

earthangel
I'm just trying to take it one day at a time with everything and keep my head clear. I haven't even made the Dr. Appointment yet. They checked me all out for PCOS and they have found nothing. I have a lot of PCOS symptoms though but that's another story. I don't want any kinds right now. I want a degree in nursing as well as business, I want to open my own nursing agency. That'll be pretty hard to accomplish with a baby on my hip. ThanX all for advice and support. I hope I didn't scare anyone

earthangel

SlimShAdY
Wed, Nov-20-02, 07:09
Been spotting for almost 2 months. I'm afraid and I don't know what's wrong with me. I considered everything when I decided that it might be my thyroid I decided that I should get tested right away. I almost refuse to do the Atkins diet if I don't lose weight in a few weeks because that is a sign that there is something wrong. This thing works for virtually everyone, right

I think you should just not worry so much about your period right now, the meds you were on might've screwed it up, stress screws it up..yo-yo dieting messes it up. Dosen't neccesarily mean there is something wrong with you. What does the dr say about it?

Try Atkins for a few weeks, see how you feel, and see if it gets somewhat better. You sound like you have a million different things going on, try taking them on one at a time. Make another dr appointment, and do Atkins in the meantime and see what happens. Atkins works for "virtually everyone" in someway, but ONLY if you do it right. Have you tried lowfat in the past and it not do anything for ya? :confused: And before you attempt Atkins, make sure to read the book and the stuff on this website because if you do it wrong, or yo-yo on it, it won't work right for you. :daze:

mbschlgr
Wed, Nov-20-02, 08:05
Originally posted by earthangel

With everything you mention here, and all of your other symptoms you really do need to discuss EVERYTHING with your Dr.

You are sending out mixed messages, first you say you can't get pregnant, then you say you don't want to get pregnant, and just again you say that to accomplish what you want would be hard with a baby on your hip...

Depression and Thyroid share many of the same symptoms.

I personally was treated for depression for 4 years, then finally they realized that it was thyroid. Once on my proper meds, my periods straightened out, my moods were in balance, and I feel terrific in spite of weight gain. Now that is my next hurtle. Self diagnosis is not a good thing.But, with general knowledge and the help of your Dr. you will be able to get yourself back together again.

giggle4fun
Wed, Nov-20-02, 08:06
Hi Angel...

I'm so glad to read your newer posts. You sound much better. Feeling like there is so much wrong with you IS very scary and stressful. Especially when you don't know what the problem is so can't even begin to try and control it! I can completely understand where you are coming from. I too have had just a horrible year. First my parents announce they are divorcing (mom's decision - dad still doesn't know why she's leaving), then I snowballed into thyroid hell and in the process gained around 50 pounds, then my grandfather was diagnosed with cancer and died 6 weeks later (in August), and two weeks ago I had sinus surgery! It's taken 2002's rollercoaster to show me just how easy life has been...this year has been the hardest of my life! I'm sure ready to greet 2003 in 6 weeks!

Trust me when I say how hard it is to keep up spirits when it feels like your life is literally falling apart..but the truth is that it WILL be ok. I totally agree with a poster who said to be totally upfront with your doctor. And pay attention. If he/she doesn't respond in a way that makes you feel good as you walk out the door...snatch up all your bloodwork and test results and find another doctor. It's aggravating, but so worth it when you find your godsend. And it IS possible. Your health is the most precious asset you have and it deserves the hassle!

ps...I've been on Protein Power (kinda like Atkins) for one month and I've lost 15 pounds...so read up on the diets and keep working at it!!