PDA

View Full Version : Green Tea

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

suzimsm
Sun, Nov-17-02, 09:01
Can someone help me out with info on green tea extract.

I bought some green tea extract by Schiff. I says it has Caffeine (as caffeine anhydrous) 50 mg. I just read the post By Ana from last month. It indicated that green tea extract did not have caffeine in it. I was wondering if I should quit taking this one.
the other ingredients listed:

Green Tea Extract (Camellia Sinesis) (leaf) 225 mg
EGCG (epigallocatechin gallate) 90 mg

I guess I should have researched it before I purchased the product. But I didn't. BTW when I tried a search didn't get any info because "tea" only had three letters. I put Green Tea Extract in the search box.

Natrushka
Sun, Nov-17-02, 09:14
Suzi, you should be able to find more info searching for EGCG, the active ingredient in green tea. I know I have posted serveral threads using EGCG as a reference / keyword. Also, the link at the top of this forum "Supplement Resources" contains 2 links that give reviews on green tea.

Having caffeine in your extract will not negatively impact it's ability enhance metabolism; it just means you must be careful when you take it (i.e., don't take it too late in the day or it will keep you awake).

HTH
Nat

suzimsm
Sun, Nov-17-02, 15:28
Thanks Nat. I bought the L glutamine today too. When I was at vitamin world I saw green tea extract w/o the added caffiene. I didn't buy it though because I figured I hopefully could use the stuff I have. Next time I'll get it unless I decide I like the caffiene. I don't drink coffee or sodas so this will be the only caffeiene I will be taking.
I'm looking forward to using the L Glutamine. I don't have much muscle soreness after workouts, but I'm hoping it will help me during my workouts. Boy that stuff is sure expensive!

Quiet Man
Wed, Dec-11-02, 19:15
What are the benefits of the Green Tea extract versus drinking a cup of green tea??
QM

SexySue
Thu, Dec-12-02, 16:13
I think the green tea extract is more potent?

krc
Sat, Dec-14-02, 18:20
Do the supplements come in pill form and do you have to have a minimum amount for them to do any good? :q:

Kim

Natrushka
Sat, Dec-14-02, 22:56
Originally posted by Quiet Man
What are the benefits of the Green Tea extract versus drinking a cup of green tea?? Green tea extract will usually contain the equivalent active ingredient found in 7-10 cups of green tea; the amount necessary to benefit from the metabolism boosting properties of the product. The extract also tends to be caffeine free, the tea does not (and a decaffinated version will be less potent, requiring more cups than the caffinated one).

KRC, if you scroll down a little further in this forum you'll find a post on Green Tea and Zinc with the exact information on how much you need (extract in pill form and old fashioned tea form and how to go about preparing it to benefit most).

Nat

krc
Sun, Dec-15-02, 09:19
I'm checking now. Trainerdan evaluated the ephedrine free solution I was taking and said though it had all the right stuff in it, the quantity of the ingredients was far too small to provide any benefit. In other words, a waste of time and money. I think the grean tea and chromium added to my vitamins should be sufficient for now.

thanks again.