PDA

View Full Version : Quote from Sugar Busters

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Janeydi
Tue, Nov-12-02, 07:54
I figured you guys could verify the truth of this statement better than anyone. I may be taking it out of context, but I don't think so.

p 53, bottom.

"Glucose is the major stimulus for insulin secretion. Fructose, a sugar from fruits, and amino acids (proteins) from meats, cause a significant release of insulin only in the presence of previously elevated blood sugar."

Fruit will cause a 'significant' release of insulin only in the presence of previously elevated blood sugar?

Maybe the word 'significant' is significant? :) Does your blood sugar not go as high with fruit as other sugars? I'm confused.

Thanks for your help,
Amy

Karen
Tue, Nov-12-02, 10:20
Here is a link that explains how fructose behaves. The Eades of Protein Power have nothing but bad things to say about it and blame it - among other things - for the rise in obesity and diabetes.

The Low-Down on Fructose (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?s=&postid=272966#post272966)

Karen

Janeydi
Tue, Nov-12-02, 10:43
Thanks, Karen.

I had forgotten all about that 'other' fructose. I was thinking just pieces of fruit! I rarely eat any processed food so I 'filed that away' somewhere. Hmmmm. Interesting.

Thanks again,
Amy

doreen T
Tue, Nov-12-02, 11:04
While naturally occuring fructose may be abundant in fruit, it's not the only sugar found there. Most fruits also contain other saccharides in addition to fructose .. arabinose, fucose, dextrose, levulose ... and glucose.

The advantage of whole fruit is that it also contains fiber and pectins, which slow the absorption of the sugars. Juices, even natural and fresh pressed, have this fiber removed and so the sugar is more quickly absorbed.

If you read a little further in the book, pp 61 - 73, they explain the Glycemic Index with lists of foods. Sweet and tropical fruits rate very high on the GI index, and the Acceptable fruits list on p. 124 does NOT include bananas or pineapple.

Doreen