PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone convert this recipe to low-carb?

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

MDukes
Tue, Jun-26-01, 10:42
This is an easy P-nut Butter pie recipe but high in carbs, however, some of the ingredients are low carb and appears anyone with the right know-how could convert to low carbs. Any takers?

10 oz whipped peanut butter
8 oz softened cream cheese
2 cups cool whip
2 cups of 10x powdered sugar

MDukes
Tue, Jun-26-01, 10:46
Sorry everyone, I hit enter by mistake!!

10 oz whipped peanut butter
8 oz softened cream cheese
2 cups cool whip
2 cups 10 x powdered sugar
1 tsp vanilla

2 Graham cracker crusts

Mix cream cheese and peanut butter til light and fluffy. Add sugar, cool whip and vanilla. Pour into pie crusts and freeze.

Seems to me that you could still use the peanut butter and cream cheese. Maybe whipping cream instead of cool whip and splenda instead of 10x sugar. However, I'm not sure if the consistency would be the same. I would also leave out the crusts.

Thanks for any thoughts you may have on this recipe!!

Joyce Pari
Wed, Aug-08-01, 19:42
I see this post is a couple months old but I just picked up Atkins new recipe book today and his recipe is as follows.

1/2 cup chunk style,sugar free peanut butter

3/4 cup heavy cream

1/2 cup chopped pecans

2 teas. vanilla

4 packets sugar substitute

2 tab soy flour

1 teas baking powder

preheat oven to 375 degreesF.
Spray a cookie sheet with oil substitute.
Mix all ingredients in bowl. Blend well.
Drop on cookie sheet by teaspoonfuls.Bake for about ten minutes.

Total Grams 47.6
Grams Per Serving 1.2

Enjoy!

Bonnie
Thu, Aug-09-01, 08:12
I found this recipe for LC Peanut Butter Pie:

Low Carb Peanut Butter Pie – found by Desiree

1 Tbsp. cocoa
8 packs of Equal (or sweetener of choice)
6 Tbsp. butter
4 oz. cream cheese
4 oz. heavy cream
2 Tbsp. heavy cream
5 Tbsp. Simply Jiff peanut butter
6 Tbsp. spoonable Splenda (if you don't have this, it measures like sugar so use your favorite sweetener)
1 cup crushed pecans
16 Tbsp. Cool Whip
1 square of unsweetened chocolate

Crust:

Mix pecans and 4 Tbsp. melted butter. Pour in pie plate, spread out to cover bottom of plate. Put in freezer.
Chocolate Layer:

Melt 2 Tbsp. butter and unsweetened chocolate in microwave on low setting for approximately 2 min. Mix in 2 Tbsp. cream and 1 tsp. vanilla. Stir well. Add in 8 packs of Equal. Pour over frozen pie crust. Put back in refrigerator.

Peanut Butter Layer:

Mix together:

Peanut Butter
4 oz. cream cheese,
1/3 cup Splenda.

Mix with blender. Spread over frozen pie.

Chocolate Whipped Topping:

Mix 1 cup of Cool Whip, 1 tsp. vanilla, and 1 Tbsp. cocoa with spoon. Spread on top of pie. Refrigerate. Cut pie into 12ths. Each piece has 5.3 carb. This pie is delicious! It's very rich so 1/12 is more than you think.

:) Bonnie

Kay
Thu, Aug-09-01, 17:32
Sounds good, Bonnie. Thanks. I just bought some pecans.

Bonnie
Thu, Aug-09-01, 18:06
Looking at the recipe Kay, I would probably substitute the Cool Whip for real whipped cream...

Bonnie

Kay
Thu, Aug-09-01, 18:10
Hey Bonnie!
I just entered this recipe into my Mastercook file. I changed the cool whip to whipped cream and used stevia in place of any of the other sweeteners. Guess what? 3.9 carbs per piece! ECC clocks in at 2.6! I am definitely going to be trying this one - it sounds like a keeper!

Joyce, I'm going to try your peanut butter cookies too, but not until the weather is cooler. Cookies in the winter, frozen pie in the summer. Works for me. Thanks for sharing the recipe. It sounds like a winner too. (But I'm going to be cautious. Cookies have always been my downfall!)

Kay
Thu, Aug-09-01, 18:17
Bonnie, we must have posted at the same time. I can't tell if you are responding to my post that follows yours, but anyway . . .
why?

I am not familiar with cool whip, have never used it, but the carb count seems much higher. I'd sure like to get your input on that.
Thanks.

Bonnie
Thu, Aug-09-01, 18:33
No actually Kay, I posted before you posted your message...LOL...great minds think alike...my reason for the substitution is the ingredients in Cool Whip compared to real cream...and also real cream has less carbs...

Bonnie

Kay
Thu, Aug-09-01, 20:50
Perfect agreement!

Now all we have to do is try the recipe and see if it works! :cool:

It's so hot here that I wish this pie was already in my freezer. It might have been, too, except that someone used up the last of the peanut butter. Now it will have to wait until I go shopping.

Bonnie
Fri, Aug-10-01, 05:22
Good luck Kay,

Give a review...

:) Bonnie

Kay
Sun, Aug-19-01, 09:08
I tried peanut butter pie last week. Everyone liked it, especially my son who said, "Why would anyone make anything else?"

Next time, I would not freeze the cream cheese layer. It was impossible to cut. Also, I would make the chocolate whipped cream layer fresh at the time of serving.

To keep the carb count low, the pieces are tiny, but it is rich and would be a lifesaver for chocolate-cravings.

This recipe inspired me to trya baked peanut butter cheesecase on the weekend. Turned out to be really good, although the top cracked and is not all that attractive. The crust, on the other hand, is fabulous. Reminds me of pecan sandies or shortbread.

Bonnie
Sun, Aug-19-01, 11:44
Thanks for the review Kay...

Bonnie

wawtigress
Sat, Dec-15-01, 14:33
When i made the peanut butter pie 4 oz of heavy cream and 2tbls. are mentioned in the ingredient list but when you assemble the 2 tbls. are used in the choc. layer but when you get to the peanut butter layer the 4 ozs aren't listed , when i put in my blender th cream cheese ,peanut butter and splenda was very stiff, this is where i believe the whipped cream should have come in to make it really fluff up.without it the mixture was very stiff so the next i make i plan to put in the 4 oz heavy cream and see what happens.wawtigress

donnaj
Sun, Dec-30-01, 19:19
I found this recipe on about.com and have made it . Even my husband loves them.
Sugar-free Flour-free Peanut Butter Cookies

Ingredients:

1 c. Chunky Peanut Butter (or 8 TBS)
1 c. Bulk Splenda (or 24 packets)
1 lg. egg
Directions:

Mix ingredients.
Drop by spoonfuls onto ungreased cookie sheet.
Use a fork to mash cookies into the shape and size you desire.
Bake at 350o for about 10 minutes or until centers are not wet.
Servings: 12

Carbs: <4 per cookie

I well start making them after I am off induction but I can't wait . :wave:

MaryB
Wed, Jan-09-02, 11:21
Was thinking of trying out this PB Pie recipe and wondered the same thing WAWTIGRESS did - does the extra heavy cream add to the PB layer?

Thanks!

mb