PDA

View Full Version : No more weight loss for weeks. Hope getting thin.

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Liz
Thu, Mar-22-01, 16:16
I've been plateau'd since about week 3 of induction. I've stayed at the same bouncing around 7 - 11 lb loss since then. It really is getting harder to stay committed, as it's not just cravings (I don't really have them), it's the whole idea of the life style fantasies that have to be given up--Provence, wonderful fresh country breads, mediterranean pastas--all the fantasies about food in all its varieties you get from watching 2 fat ladies, Delia, Chef, even Martha. Also the food/wine/Provence atmospheres of Peter Mayles' books. I know I'm doing a BAD THING here as people on this board probably consumed those fantasy food lives as well and I'm re-installing them in the imagination, but no one has talked about it so far. It's the idea that the anticipation of eating well and freely, totally into the sensuality of having what you want, whether fresh Terra bread or garlic mashed potatoes....Okay, I'll stop. I'm just really bummed out about being scrupulous for 9 weeks without the reward of seeing some, even if slow, progress. Yesterday I ate a highly suspect wiener without bun (yuck) because I was out all day long and getting hungry and couldn't figure out what I could use to fill the gap. As for solutions, I guess the obvious is exercise, but it just ain't going to happen. I've never enjoyed it, don't have the lifetime habit, get up at 5:30 a.m. to get ready for work, home by 6 - 7 p.m. and in bed by 10 to get ready for the 5:30 wakeup. My job is very intense all day long, and by the time I get home 12 hrs later (with more work to be done at home) I'm suffering from will depletion. I just don't want to add another 'to do' to my daily list. Okay. I really will stop now as this has turned into a wail/whine. I guess I'm angrier about not losing than I realized before I started this posting. Yes, still in ketosis. No change in inches. D%*@nation*!!

NNN
Thu, Mar-22-01, 17:02
I think these feelings are normal from time to time. It just depends on how much you want to lose weight and just like an alcoholic you need to learn to take one day at a time. This really helps. never mind thinking about all those wonderful things that you gave up, just tell your self " I will get through this day" And then maybe later on when you reach your goal you can have a wee cheat. I was reallly good for 6 months and lost 50 pounds, then maintained for a year. I quit smoking last June and am having a very hard time as I always want to stuff something in my face , even if it is too much raw cabbage. we all miss the carbs, After all it is like leaving a good friend who comforted us and gave us pleasure for years.
NOw just worry about today and tomorrow is another day.
Good luck
Norma

debbiedobson
Thu, Mar-22-01, 18:51
hi liz. you sound so discouraged! i feel really bad for you. i agree with norma, to take one day at a time. once you've broken your stall, you could try some legal "cheats". there are all kinds of wonderful lc recipes. some i think need to be saved maybe for maintenance or special occasions. read over the recipes. get some easy ideas. maybe on the weekend you could spend an afternoon making up some things to get you through the week.
as for garlic mashed potatoes, i make faux-tatoes. i've combined several recipes and tweaked it a bit myself. i just love them. so does my family. i add lots of garlic to the cauliflower while its cooking. then i mash it w/butter,creamcheese. i add an egg and then through it in the oven to bake. mmmmmm! way better than mashed potatoes anyday!
stop at the groceries store on the way home from work and grab a cooked chicken from the deli. grab a bagged salad and toss it with oil and vinegar. i understand how tired you must be after a long day. don't give up hope. your stall will break soon and you'll be so glad that you stuck with it.

doreen T
Thu, Mar-22-01, 20:13
Gosh, sorry you're feeling so bummed out right now. I agree with the others, take it one day at a time, and let tomorrow take care of itself. Sounds to me too, that FATIGUE and EXHAUSTION are a big part of the picture too for you. What a drag!

It's true, lowcarbing can be more work, since you have to cook a lot more from scratch. But debbie gave some good ideas for fast things, easy to throw together. Also Karen Barnaby has some excellent fast ideas, just click here Jazz Up Your Induction (http://www.lowcarber.org/tips/tips001.html) . You need to be prepared, and plan in advance. Have some lowcarb things ready to grab when you're in a hurry. Sounds too like maybe you're letting yourself get really hungry (??), perhaps not eating something lowcarb before you dash out the door, then hours later you're starving and only Tim Horton's is available. That's happened to me.

If the foods you mentioned are really important to you, is there a way you could work them into your weekly carb allotment?? Maybe, one night a week, plan to have a Carb Addict's style dinner, then eat lowcarb the rest of the time.

And, if Atkins Induction is just too restrictive for you, don't consider it a failure on your part. Like the lowFAT mythology, lowcarb isn't a one-size-fits-all thing. There are other lowcarb plans that may suit you better. Protein Power allows more carbs, and fruits. Carb Addicts Life Plan may be just the thing for you; there are some other members here following the Heller's plan, and having some success. There's the Zone, which is higher in carbs, closer to 80 or 100 per day, but more restrictive in fats and proteins. Sugar Busters also allows more whole grains and high-fiber starchy veggies and fruits, but has you cut back on the fats as well.

Maybe as spring and summer move in, you might have more opportunity to squeeze in a little exercise, even just going for walks. Forget the fat-burning, it's just so darn terrific for the mood and well-being.

Wishing you all the best, and lowcarbing success. You'll break that stall soon, I just know it. Take care ..:)

Doreen

Liz
Thu, Mar-22-01, 21:00
I _am_ low about the lack of progress. If hope was a helium balloon, it's sagging lower and lower. I guess I need to know that a stall can break sooner or later. And stalling so fast! This stall set in really early, before I could develop any confidence that the diet would really work for me. I guess all the tales of big losses at induction got my hopes up. Do you think it's possible to stall and _not_ lose any more at all? If you're in ketosis? I'm going to my doc on Tuesday and will find out whether my cholesterol is up or not which I am curious about after all the cheese, meat and mayo. Since he suggested the diet, maybe he knows of ways to get things happening for me. I certainly love the recipes on this board. Karen is a genius. Karen, you're a genius. The faux mash and chicken with thyme, bacon and cream are wonderful. I have a friend on the brink of doing Atkins full time cuz she has been enjoying the recipes I've tried so much.

So, thanks for the support. I'll come out of my gloom.

doreen T
Thu, Mar-22-01, 21:09
hi Liz,

Forgot to add before, click here (http://www.lowcarb.ca/tips/tips008.html) for my Tips article on Stalls and Plateaus. Maybe you might find something there that could help, or pinpoint a reason.

I've been stalled out for 2 months now, but I refuse to give in to a big carb-blowout. I figure at least I haven't GAINED, which I would have done otherwise, even if my overall calorie intake was low.

take care, Doreen

r.mines
Thu, Mar-22-01, 21:16
Don't be too sad. I'm a really slow slow loser too and (fingers crossed) am just breaking out of a 3-month stall (since Christmas).

Eating low-carb can be more work, especially when you're busy busy. I've been really busy too. I work (mostly) from home, so my time is more flexible, but on the other hand I'm always in the office, so it turns into a 7-day week. Like you, I've been overworking since the beginning of December. I'm also not in the habit of exercise, and when do I have time anyway? Though I agree with Doreen, walks in the spring weather (is it spring yet where you are?) are relaxing and rejuvenating, never mind the fat-burning effect!

For me, it really helps to have plenty of low-carb snacks on hand. I'm not much of a cook (and who has time?), but here are some things I like to prepare in advance and keep around the house:
-hard-boiled eggs (for eating plain or devilling)
-pepperoni (bought in bulk)
-pumpkin seeds in the shell (takes longer to eat!)
-almonds (they're addictive, though - watch it!)
-beef jerky (I make my own)
-a few LC bars or diabetic chocolates, just so I feel like I can have them if I want (oddly enough, they're hardly touched)
-I buy a whole ham, cut it up, keep some in the fridge and the rest in the freezer
-tins of salmon, tuna, etc.
-celery for eating with eggs, ham, salmon, etc.
-pork puffs (which I've just discovered are good in a dip of mustard and mayo)
-La Tortilla low-carb tortillas, bought from our own Island Girl's website

If I think I'm going to be out of the house all day, I pack beef jerky, nuts, and an Atkins bar. I also have an 'emergency' tin of sardines, the self-opening kind, in my pack!

I know it's a drag not being able to grab a sandwich or a muffin when you're in a hurry like the rest of North America does. I resent that too sometimes.

Well, I don't know if that helps. Hope it does.

How long have you been stalled, anyway? Have you checked out the info on this site on stalls and plateaus? Click on 'tips' above.

Hope you're feeling better soon!

Rachel

Karen
Fri, Mar-23-01, 02:03
Hi Liz,

Great advice from everyone!

Do you keep a food journal? It can be quite illuminating to see how those carbs really add up. Eating sugar-free sweets or diet beverages, nuts, dairy products or processed foods can cause problems.

Why don't you post your menu over a few days and we can give you some advice.

It takes a while to tweak this WOE to suit you and it is always through trial and error. Do you feel full of energy? Lighter on your feet? After getting really comfortable with that feeling, you won't want to let it go.

And, in the Provence of your mind, you can have wonderful things to eat. Asparagus with browned butter and shaved Parmesan , artichokes with lemon mayonnaise, tiny zucchini with the flowers attached, amazing meat, fish and unbelievably wonderful cheese. How about a leg of lamb from Sisteron that is sooo tender that even the shank end can be eaten with just a fork. A stylish little goat cheese covered with garlic, rosemary and olive oil? Salade Nicoise? Really and truly fresh fish? The Grande Aioli with bountiful vegetables and meats? Bouilliabaise with rouille? You can even have a glass of Rose with all of this while gazing at the blue Mediterranean :)

Karen

Deb
Fri, Mar-23-01, 12:19
Hi Liz, I feel really bad for you but you can take comfort in the fact you're not the only one in the stalled boat. It seems as if i bounce up and down with the same 13 pounds over the last six months or so. I have just started today the Stillman diet to try to break through the barrier. Basically, it is just fresh meat, poultry,eggs cooked with no fat at all, no-carbs allowed, and about 100 oz. of water a day. Sounds pretty radical, but i'm ready for a radical solution at this point. I think it was one of Doreen's posts that twigged me onto this plan and if you felt like giving it a shot, she would probably tell you where you can find it on the Net. Please don't give up on yourself because in the long run the only one we can count on to succeed in this weight loss game is ourselves. If someone else could do it for us I would have found some poor sucker to force me to lose it. Since that won't happen, hang in there with me and we'll both be winners eventually.

Best wishes

Deb

Liz
Fri, Mar-23-01, 12:44
This morning, looked over the messages sent since my original wail. So many good suggestions and good will on the part of you all. Thanks again. I'm staying pretty close to induction, few processed foods except proscuitto salami (150 grams twice in the last 4 weeks), no sugar free drinks or any other artificially sweetened products (though I did make Karen's macaroons with less splenda than in the recipe--so far have eaten 4 of them over a week timespan). No caffeine. I basically eat meat, shrimp, salad with olive oil and balsamic, spag squash w butter, occasional sugar peas, gr. beans, zuke, eggplant (in moussaka--I added a small tin of crushed tomates, 5 carb grams for the whole tin, got 6 portions out of the recipe so few grams coming from those), cambazola cheese, cheddar, macadamia or pistachios in shells for snack, bacon and 2 eggs for brekkie, just eggs when it's a work day. Also use heavy cream when req to thicken sauces. The thing that puzzles me is that I'm not into big quantities--no big handfuls of nuts or seconds of toothsome things like the moussaka and chicken w thyme recipe. No problem with staying in ketosis (wouldn't that be reduced with hidden carbs?). Ah well, I'll keep on one day at a time as you say. Definitely will get out for walks in this blissful spring weather.

r.mines
Fri, Mar-23-01, 19:19
Hi, Liz. It just occurred to me, reading through the above postings, that medications can sometimes cause stalls. I don't know about birth control pills (anyone here have anything to say 'bout that?). Are you on any meds/prescription drugs at all?

I find I need to reduce calories as well as carbs if I want to lose weight. If I eat more than about 1500 calories per day (at a rough count) I don't lose weight, even when I'm in ketosis.

The closer you get to goal, the harder it is, too. And it's generally easier for younger people to lose weight as well (I haven't checked your profile, so I don't know your stats).

Yes, and those blissful spring walks...better hurry and enjoy, it's supposed to rain all weekend!

Hope you're feeling a bit better,
Rachel

tamarian
Sat, Mar-24-01, 11:16
Liz, do you take your measurements? Sometimes you don't lose weight, but you lose inches. I think it's a great idea to keep a weekly chart of your weight and measurements, it helps you notice patterns, especially if you jot down any changes to diet exercise, medications, supplements etc. My weekly chart helped me to expect a couple of weeks stall every 3 months. Another discovery, is greater loss, espcially in inches, when I walk more than usual. Another discovery, was the effect of my asthma medication, which made the process extremely slower.

Just a few thoughts,

Wa'il

Liz
Sat, Mar-24-01, 14:53
I'm on hrt and Dr. A does mention that as a staller. Also beta blockers for hypertension. It's all a circle. My doc says lose weight to control blood pressure, but beta blockers are also mentioned somewhere in the Dr. A lit. as a stall culprit. My doc cut the beta blockers in half 3 weeks ago which I guess is why i got renewed hope. But, no change in weight or inches. I don't think he's going to take me off the hormones as heart problems run big time in my family and w/o them I'm in the high risk post-menopausal range. I'll find out on Tues. when I see him. In the meantime, guess I should also try curbing the calories (a per your advice R. Mines) which would mean being less liberal with the olive oil on salads and mayo. Also, heavy cream. Damn! The fat element was the main thing that made Dr. A's diet livable as a regime in my life when I'm at the stage of middle age when I'm inclined to say, it's time to relax. It's not as if I've been feasting either. Well, Tuesday's doc visit should give me more info as I'll get results of blood tests on choleresterol and glucose. I'm not really in big danger of giving up this woe as I really do want to get control over health dangers, and I would enjoy buying some new clothes. I have about 40 - 45 more lbs to lose. My current 7-10 lb loss dates from the start of the diet on Jan. 10

Karen
Sat, Mar-24-01, 19:27
Hi Liz,

The "thing" with ketosis is that you will show as positive even if you are burning dietary fat and not your own. If I don't stay away from the whipping cream and cheese, I can be in ketosis with no weight loss. It is a bummer, but I don't gain any weight. The same may be true for you.

Karen

P.S. I'm not really a genius, I just like to eat really good food! :)

doreen T
Sat, Mar-24-01, 23:13
hi Liz,

Hmmm, an awful lot of vague information out there on the web, but I'll give it a shot. On the subject of HRT, here's from Atkins' website on the subject :Certain women do benefit from estrogen hormone replacement therapy (HRT), but others definitely do not. Women with a higher risk for breast or uterine cancers are the well-known exceptions, but many others should also steer clear. If you've gone through menopause, tend to gain weight, (especially in the midsection), have high triglycerides, and display insulin resistance, hormone therapy probably isn't for you. The supplemental estrogens, as conventional medicine prescribes, appear to aggravate these conditions, thus actually increasing the danger of heart disease. Before you embark on any form of hormone replacement, tell your doctor you want a careful, proper assessment of your relative risks and benefits.Definitely something to think about. I could not find any discussion as to how HRT causes a stall. Considering that pre-menopausal women are producing lots of estrogen in their systems, I'm not sure that it's a huge factor.

Beta-blockers can and do trigger elevated insulin levels, which is how they contribute to stalling.

Suggestions :

Weight loss alone has been shown to bring significant reduction in blood pressure. You sound like you have a good dr. who's following you closely. Perhaps a further reduction in the beta-blockers could be in order .. :) ..

Magnesium also is helpful. The heart and arteries are MUSCLES, and muscles need Magnesium. (Mag. helps tense, tight muscles to relax, as in hypertension ..;) ) I can't remember if you mentioned taking supplements, but certainly make sure you're getting at least 500 mg daily. Most once-daily multi-vitamin-mineral supplements only have 100mg of magnesium. Try taking a Calcium-Magnesium combination in a 2 to 1 formula, twice a day, along with the multi. The calcium is good for your bones too. Take the second dose in the evening before bedtime. Some research has shown that magnesium is also helpful for reducing serum cholesterol levels.

It might just be a good idea to cut back the SATURATED fat, such as the red meats, cheese and high-fat dairy, and the skin on poultry. But don't be too drastic in cutting back the unsaturated vegetable fats, like the olive oil and flax seeds/oil and nuts. These fats are important for making the diet palatable, as well as they have very heart-protecting qualities.

Another suggestion might be food intolerance. I'm looking into this for myself too. There's some thought that eating the same foods every single day or very frequently, can cause a reaction in the body, not quite allergic, but fluid retention, impaired fat and glucose metabolism, etc....... it's like "over exposure". For instance,,,,,, you mentioned you eat eggs for brekkie.... probably close to every day, right?? Try alternating days, and have something else, like a bowl of ground flax seeds made into a porridge, with a couple Tbsp light cream, or some ricotta or cottage cheese with berries, or scrambled tofu or leftover meat from dinner, or a lowcarb, hi-protein shake.

Well, I'm out of ideas, for now anyway. Take care

Doreen

p.s.- Flax porridge is yummy. 3 Tbsp ground flax seeds, add hot, not boiling, water, stir till thickened. Add sweetener of choice, some cinnamon and a splash of cream. (Boiling water, or microwaving will destroy the Omega-3 fatty acids). Enjoy.

Tinakaye
Sun, Mar-25-01, 07:15
Hiya Liz, :)
They have all given such an overwhelming amount of wonderful information that will help you in busting through this stall. :)

I just wanted to suggest running a few days menus of EVERYTHING your eating thru fitday.com Most people are really shocked at the carb amounts that they are consuming without realizing it.

But at the same time, you can be eating perfectly and just stall out. But there are advantages to that as well. It gives your body time to adjust and "fit" your new shape better. Tighten the skin ect and that is a very good thing, because when you get to goal, then your skin will be nice and firm.

Look at where you came from instead of that you haven't lost weight recently. You ARE making progress so don't give up!
HTH

r.mines
Sun, Mar-25-01, 10:06
Doreen, you genius! I'm drinking my morning coffee and reading the new posts, saw this, thought "what the hey," and tried it. It IS yummy, and I don't even LIKE porridge! I put a few drops of maple flavouring in - wow!

As the old commercial says, "Good and good for you!"

Rachel

Liz
Sun, Mar-25-01, 11:56
Thanks Doreen. Excellent ideas. The hormone contrib'ng to stall idea comes from Dr. A's book. He names that as a potential cause. I'm on the plant estrogen, and have asked diff doctors (including current one) whether I should go off considering breast cancer studies, but he seems to have evaluated the studies pretty closely. Still, I'll check with him again as this is a different focus for questioning use of them. The main thing I'll try myself is reducing the big fat sources--heavy cream, cambazola (farewell, I love you), bacon etc. I'll try varying food sources--I tend to rely on the same sorts of things, espec. brekkie as I'm in a hellacious rush in the mornings even though I backed up my wakeup to 5:30 to give me time to eat prepare and eat brekkie on this woe.) I'll try the flax seeds porridge. A work acquaintance who survived breast cancer swears by flax. Do you buy them ground up? I'm close to Choices, Capers and Granville Isl. so can look there. I got some toasted soy grits at Capers. Have you tried them? Looks from the instructions that maybe they turn out more like couscous than porridge. Haven't tried them yet. Which high protein shake do you use? That would be quick to prepare in the a.m. I seem to be taste sensitive to the artificial sugars. Even Splenda tastes a bit funny to me so when I use it, I use the lightest possible amt.

That's useful info Karen on ketosis and burning up dietary fat only. I've looked around the LC sources on this issue and as usual, opinions are mixed. However, your experience is exactly what I'm going through--strong showings on ketostix, no weight loss, but on the other hand no weight gains considering the amt. of fat I'm consuming. So, reducing fat levels is the most likely thing to do.

Karen
Sun, Mar-25-01, 12:22
Hey Liz!

If you're not busy on Monday night, join us for dinner. Rachel, Wa'il and I are going to Stepho's on Davie St. at 6:30.

Karen

Liz
Sun, Mar-25-01, 18:27
An earlier longer post got lost somewhere today, so I'll try again. Bought the flax seeds today. Do I just whiz them in a coffee grinder? What do you do Doreen?

doreen T
Sun, Mar-25-01, 19:03
hi Liz -

Yes, coffee grinder /spice mill is the best way to grind them - they're so small and hard, they tend to just dance around in the food processor or blender. Only grind up a few days' worth at a time, and store both the ground and whole seeds in an air-tight container in the fridge or freezer. Heat, light and air are the death knell for the Omega-3 fatty acids in flax. You can buy pre-ground flax meal, but personally, I think it's outrageously over-priced. My local natural foods grocery sells regular whole flax seeds for $1.65 per kg, and organic flax seeds for $3.00 per kg. I'm sure I saw flaxmeal someplace for $7.50 for a dinky 500 gm bag, and it was just sitting on a warm shelf.

I add a heaped Tbsp (or more) ground flax to a low-carb protein shake, when I have one (not every day, I use them as meal replacement for breakfast or lunch) Check out your local health food store for the protein shakes, you can find isolated soy and whey protein, in various flavours. Don't be put off by the pictures of muscle-men on the container, but do read the labels; some of the athlete's formulas are very high in carbs. I love Interactive Whey, which is made in Canada. Nutrition House is a good place to look, they're located in malls and shopping centers across Canada. Also GNC, and the health food section in Loblaws/Real Superstores. A lot of folks seem to want to add heavy cream and all kind of other stuff to the shakes. I prefer good ol' vanilla flavour, just add water and a scoop of flax meal, and whirl it up with one of those long "stick blenders". It comes out nice and thick, creamy .. and no need to add the extra fat and carbs found in cream. But, chacun son gout ..

About the soy grits, click here (http://www.lowcarber.org/forum/showthread.php?postid=2512#post2512) for a thread we had going last weekend on this very topic. There's quite a few good ideas how to prepare them, including a spicy pilau-type recipe from our Great and Magnificent webmaster Wa'il... :D

take care

Doreen

p.s.- Rachel, about the flax porridge. No genius here, I read it somewhere else. Might even have been our own dear Karen... ;)