PDA

View Full Version : Help with supplements? Quantity/Times? Confused.

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

DaveR
Sat, Oct-26-02, 23:09
I've been all over the board, and have seen so much conflicting information on what to take and when. My head is spinning. From what I've read, I need more potasium, I get very weak lately.

Here's what I have.

Centrum Silver w/o iron. Usually take 2 in morning

Cal/Mag 333/133. Usually take 2 in morning

Potassium, 99mg. How much to supplement what I get with Centrum? 400mg total good? Again, I've had a real problem with muscle weakness/tiredness while lowcarbing.

Milk Thistle. Somewhat worried about poss. liver damage from previous heavy drinking. Doc said I'm fine, but, just in case. Just did a lot of research on this, and looks like I should take about 400 to 600 mg a day of this.

And finally, should I split these up? I know I won't remember to take them in the middle of the day at work, so will take in morning and night. Any reason to avoid anything at night or in the morning?

Thanks for any advice, don't know what to do at this point. :confused:

Natrushka
Fri, Nov-01-02, 20:57
Originally posted by DaveR
Centrum Silver w/o iron. Usually take 2 in morning

Dave, with multi vitamines it is always best to follow the directions on the bottle as the amount of each mineral / supplement will vary from product to product. If it says take 2 then that's what you need. You might try spacing them out - one with breakfast one with dinner.

Cal/Mag 333/133. Usually take 2 in morning RDA for calcium is 1200-1500mg a day, so you're getting approximately half of that. I, too, take 2 in the morning and then one with 2 other meals and one an hour before bed. Mine are a calcium and magnesium combo as well (the two minerals work well in tandem) RDA for magnesium is 400-600mg. That one before bed can really help with the quality of your sleep - magnesium has a very soothing effect. Be sure your supplements are chelated - malate or citrate (not calcium carbonate from oyster shells as this is harder on the tummy and wont be as well apsorbed)

Potassium, 99mg. How much to supplement what I get with Centrum? 400mg total good? Again, I've had a real problem with muscle weakness/tiredness while lowcarbing. Potassium as a supplement while LCing is recommeded at 400mg a day by the Eades in Protein Power. This is probably what is resulting in the fatigue and weakness. It's not as important that you space this one out as your body is very well equiped to regulate potassium levels. It is, however, important you be well hydrated when you take a potassium supplement and that you consult your doctor if you're on any heart / high blood pressure medication.

You can also use a potassium salt like Morton's Light Salt or NuSalt in place of taking more pills. 1/8th of a teaspoon has between 325 - 500mg of potassium. I use this on my food in place of regular table salt.

Any reason to avoid anything at night or in the morning? Other than increasing potassium and cal/mag and having one in the evening you should be fine with these supplements as you are taking them now.

Cheers,
Nat