PDA

View Full Version : Ross's Chocolate carb content?

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Sadai
Mon, Apr-23-01, 13:00
Hi All
Just to let you know that Shoppers Drug Mart here in Edmonton is now carrying Ross's chocolate bars and in all the flavors such as Orange, Strawberry, Mint, Peanut, Dark, and Deluxe chocolate .... each only 3 carbs per bar.... My personal favorite is the Orange Delight as it reminds me of those orange "smack it" balls :) Each bar is 1.49 not bad for Canada!!

tamarian
Mon, Apr-23-01, 21:34
They're getting very popular, and at $1.49!! Hmm, now I'm wondering if Bob Ross will come up with some funny ads like carb solutions (the one with the devils) :)

Wa'il

numberonewendy
Sat, Apr-28-01, 13:47
:(
Dang,

wish they were here in our Shoppers.

I Will be calling the Ross's through the week. Would love to try them due to my chocolate cravings. Everything else is ok, except this..grrrrrr

Wendy

Sharon
Sat, Apr-28-01, 15:00
I e-mailed "Sweet Choices Distributing" to see if they would tell me where we could buy "Ross Chocolate" through retailers.... I didn't get a response. I'm not sure why manufacturers/distributors would not want to readily supply this information.

Hopefully, #1Wendy will have more luck with Mr. Ross. I know last summer there was only one or two distributors in Ontario, but I thought by now there would be more, and the bars would be more accessible.

Something like the "Caramilk" mystery...............

Deirdre
Sat, Apr-28-01, 21:16
Wendy

You can get other chocolate in Ontario that is probably just as good as the Ross bars. Maybe not as much variety but believe me, it's good enough! The only reason Ross bars appear to be lower in carbs is because they subtract the maltitol grams. Some that are available in Ontario are Cavalier (at most drug stores, bulk barn),
there are new ones by Russel Stover, they come in little bags - mini peanut butter cups, caramel, truffles. pecan-caramel clusters (Walmart, IDA drug store), there are others called chocomania, sorbee, another one I can't remember the name of, but they're not as good as the Cavalier ones. Also if you have any candy / chocolate stores near you check them, we have a little store here called Adventures in Chocolate and they have a pretty good assortment of sugar free chocolate. Even Laura Secord has some sugar free chocolates. Look around, you may be surprised by what you find!

Let us know if you find out anything about the Ross bars though.

tamarian
Sat, Apr-28-01, 21:20
Deirdre, you know where good things are! Please update our ON shopping section with all the missing finds. I'm a bit lazy updating those addies, but they all get updated eventually :)

TIA,

Wa'il

numberonewendy
Sat, Apr-28-01, 21:25
hmm, I wondered about that when I was reading threads in Stores/Shopping etc. Noticed about Laura Secord too.

Thanks, yes I will look around especially with all the new information you have given me :) Which is very much appreciated!

I still plan to call the Ross's as I would like to connect with some contacts. Don't know if you have read, but Wendy is having some major brain storms and looking forward to her future :)

Wendy

Anyone having trouble with the spell check lately? Seems to want to stay at load only for me. Gosh, do I ever need it...LOL
Especially with the word excercise.....hehehehe...trouble doing it, trouble spelling it.....hehehe

numberonewendy
Sat, Apr-28-01, 21:31
Oh and yes like Wa'il has asked, please do that as that is where I went and found out about Laura Secord. Sorry Wa'il I must have been typing my post as I didn't see yours :)

Wendy

tamarian
Sat, Apr-28-01, 21:36
Originally posted by numberonewendy

Anyone having trouble with the spell check lately? Seems to want to stay at load only for me. Gosh, do I ever need it...LOL
Especially with the word excercise.....hehehehe...trouble doing it, trouble spelling it.....hehehe

Yes, the spell checking service has been too slow and unreliable. If it stays this bad, I'll take it off and look for something better. :(

Wa'il

numberonewendy
Sat, Apr-28-01, 21:48
Oh thank goodness. Hate to post and then see all the mistakes. Gosh then I would have to search for a dictionary....hehehe....

I just noticed it happening today Wa'il, other wise it has been rather good....not sure why it has slowed down today tho?

Wendy

Sadai
Sat, Apr-28-01, 22:09
Sorry to hear you couldn't find the Ross's chocolate bars at your Shoppers.. Since I was at Shoppers this evening and noticed they were out of the Orange... I asked?? ..... I was told that all I had to do was phone in during day hours and ask them to order some more and so that would apply to any of the shoppers stores, anywhere or so I was told... :) Just ask and they will order...... *loL* :)

Carol
Sun, Apr-29-01, 10:00
Hi....I have been away again for awhile which i will explain in another post but I wanted to add my comments to the Ross's post.
I have been in touch with them via phone.I called them to congratulate them on their internet sales and the owner told me that their bars are being pirated and sold online.They can tell by the color of the inner foil wrap as to which is theirs & which are not.I live about 40 minutes away from their head office and have been invited to tour their small factory.The owner is also doing low carb, Protein Power.I told her I had made a White Chocolate Cheesecake with her bars and sent her 2 different recipes.
She also said one of the reasons the bars aren't carried in all stores mentioned is because they are so busy now they don't have the time to travel to each store for orders.It is up to the stores to phone in their orders.I have been trying to get my supply from Nutter's and they still haven't called in the order.As of yet Ross's still don't do private orders.
Hope this has helped!
Carol from Kamloops

Karen
Sun, Apr-29-01, 10:12
Originally posted by numberonewendy
Oh thank goodness. Hate to post and then see all the mistakes. Gosh then I would have to search for a dictionary....hehehe....

I just noticed it happening today Wa'il, other wise it has been rather good....not sure why it has slowed down today tho?

Wendy

#1Wendy!

Try typing your post in a "word" document that has automatic spell check then cut and paste it into the reply box. Much faster than using the spell check on the site.

Karen

numberonewendy
Sun, Apr-29-01, 10:24
I see Carol, from your posting its best then that I leave my calling until I am ready to order as a business? (thats great to hear how busy they are, maybe there is room for expanding their business?)

Thanks Karen, I may do that or just continue showing you all my wonderful spelling mistakes..funny eh, when in school years ago of course, my best subject was spelling...wow how things change!...hehehe..can't be bothered to go somewhere else.... then cut and copy....hehehe

Wendy

doreen T
Sun, Apr-29-01, 10:25
Originally posted by Karen
Try typing your post in a "word" document that has automatic spell check then cut and paste it into the reply box. Much faster than using the spell check on the site.

Karen Exactly. I keep a blank Wordpad on my desktop for exactly this purpose. Since my posts here on the forum usually end up being long-winded essays, with links and lots of research, I NEED to be able to have a static document to type in, and keep my internet window free to click back and forth as I look stuff up, or to copy and paste bits and snippets of information for my posts.

Great idea. Doreen

tamarian
Sun, Apr-29-01, 10:31
Originally posted by Carol
I called them to congratulate them on their internet sales and the owner told me that their bars are being pirated and sold online.

Wow, this is serious stuff. Unfortunately, the Ross business doesn't trust anyone in the internet, including our site :( I've had lengthy talks with them to help them branch out and post information (free) and answer issues about maltitol etc. to no avail.

We could post link to ligit resellers if they want to, but how would we know, if they don't tell us? Argh!

Wa'il

Bonnie
Sun, Apr-29-01, 18:03
I was perusing the board and would like to comment and endorse Deirdre's suggestion in regards to the Russell Stover's chocolates. They come in small individually wrapped packs. If you are following a WOL that allows you to subtract the sugar alcohols, each piece is quite low in carbs. I have tried almost all the varieties she has suggested and they are very good. I relied on them heavily when I was in the states this winter and they certainly helped take the edge off a chocolate craving. If you can't find the Ross' bars or other substitutes in your area I would certainly recommend them for taste and carb content.

tamarian
Sun, Apr-29-01, 18:16
Hi Bonnie, do you have their address(es), phone # or URL? Are they only in Toronoto? Send me the details and we'll list them, if you like them, they must be really good! ;)

Wa'il

Deirdre
Sun, Apr-29-01, 18:23
Russel Stover chocolates are in pretty much every department store / drug store and probably grocery store chain. They usually have a display with all kinds of boxes of chocolates (with sugar). The sugar free one's are just new here so all stores may not have them yet. I've seen them in IDA drug store and Walmart, the Zellers I checked didn't have them yet though. They're about $2.50 - $3 for a small bag. I first found them on Easter weekend thank goodness!!

Bonnie
Sun, Apr-29-01, 18:55
Hi Bonnie, do you have their address(es), phone # or URL? Are they only in Toronoto? Send me the details and we'll list them, if you like them, they must be really good!

Wa'il

Hi Wa'il,

Unfortunately, no I do not have any info to supply because as Deirdre has suggested I think they are just newly introduced to our Canadian markets. However if I do happen to run across a URL etc. will pass it along. Without mentioning any names would also like to mention that I know of one lurker on this board (a relative by marriage) in particular who is very partial to the Pecan variety..... LOL... so that's another endorsement besides myself and Deirdre..

Bonnie

tamarian
Sun, Apr-29-01, 19:00
LOL, Bonnie, there's lots of family on this board. We just had coffee this morning with Liz (Wendy's mom) and she's becoming our BC'ers mom :) (Don't be jealous Wendy!)

Wa'il

P.S. What do they have listed on the label as address, I might give them a call and see what we can post as info on them.

numberonewendy
Sun, Apr-29-01, 19:14
LOL, heavens no Wa'il, it will give me a break! :)

I can share.

She tells me she had a nice time meeting you all. She did complain about the drive home though, took her an hour and a half. You may have to think about going a bit closer to her for future outings...LOL

Goodness, it is wonderful to have all this information on chocolates, me can't wait to go and check these out. First cookies, now chocolates....heavens, sure hope I don't blow it...LOL

Wendy

tamarian
Sun, Apr-29-01, 19:30
I sure enjoyed her company (Liz, thanks for the info on Asthma!).

Karen actually mentioned several times changing the location, and we can do that if we get people interested from the greater Vancouver area. So far, downtown has four or five members who like to meet occasionally, if we hear from others we can certainly drop by near their locale.

Re: Chocolate. I thankfully lost my sweet tooth, but I'd like to post info on LC products for those who want them. My theory is to use the basics and avoid temptation, but if it comes to either quiting or finding a low-carb substitute, a substitute is better than quiting!

Wa'il

Deirdre
Sun, Apr-29-01, 22:29
Wa'il

I threw all my wrappers out! I guess I'll have to go buy some more tomorrow and report back!!

tamarian
Mon, Apr-30-01, 06:55
Sure, Deirdre. You may use me as excuse to buy some more! :)

Wa'il

numberonewendy
Mon, Apr-30-01, 23:39
Well I saw the Russel Stovers chocolates today at our Shoppers Drug Mart....ummm and all types of flavours.

I read the back of the bag and noticed the carb count as twenty something. Is this for the whole bag? Got me real nervous so I put them back! LOL

They are 2.99 a bag. Sorry Wa'il, I got so excited at finding them I didn't even look for an address on the bag :(

I will be going over to Walmart to see if they carry them too, more then likely a bit cheaper I wonder? I will remember to check out the bag for an address this time :)

Bonnie
Tue, May-01-01, 05:53
Hi Wendy,

Most of the sugar free chocolate produced ( including Ross') is made with the sugar alcohol maltitol. There are many viewpoints on sugar alcohols and how they affect the body. Their altered structure prevents their absorption from the intestinal tract therefore eating them won't make your blood sugar rise or spur a release of insulin. That's why they are so popular as a sweetner in sugar free products. I'm sure Doreen probably has the data at her fingertips and may possibly want to touch base with that. Some manufacturers of chocolate, candy etc. chose not to include the carb content on their wrappers and then others do. Deirdre and I are following the PPLP and therefore we subtract the sugar alcohols from the total carbs giving us a much lower carb count per piece. Along the lines of the ECC (re: fiber) that Doreen so aptly covered yesterday. Hope this helps clear up a bit of the confusion for you and can certainly imagine your fright when you picked up a package and saw the total carb count. In the ex: of Ross' bars and I have one in my hand at present, the only nutrional content noted is the fact that the maltitol content is 13.1 gms. on the Supreme Delight but no total carbs listed.

Deirdre
Tue, May-01-01, 08:55
[
P.S. What do they have listed on the label as address, I might give them a call and see what we can post as info on them. [/B][/QUOTE]

Well I did my duty and bought some more. I found them at Shoppers Drug Mart this time. They weren't with the other Russell Stover chocolates, they were kind of by the diabetic stuff. Anyway, they don't have any contact info on them. I checked the regular chocolates and they have a website www.russellstover.com but it's not up and running. They had a US address and 1-800# but I didn't get them.

I'm sure they're pretty widely available though. They were cheaper at Walmart, I can't remember the exact price, maybe $2.69 or so.

Wendy, I do subtract the maltitol grams. I started out doing Atkins but I guess I've kind of customized it. I just have to have chocolate and I figure this is better than the regular kind!

The label on the truffles didn't make sense to me though, it listed something like 21g carbs and only about 6g maltitol, but I couldn't see anything else in the ingredients that would contribute carbs. The other flavours get practically all their carbs from the maltitol.

Sharon
Tue, May-01-01, 11:28
Glad to hear you folks are drumming up the details about other kinds of chocolate....although I find I miss it more and more all the time...but there are still those special occasions...and for baking it would be nice (i.e. chocolate chip cheesecake!!!!!)

It frustrates me that products are available...but seem impossible to buy...i.e Ross Chocolates. Sweet Choices Distributing in Thunder Bay sell the chocolate only to retailers now, but when I asked if they could provide a list of retailers where we could purchase the chocolate...I didn't get an answer. I figure by us buying from a retailer that we're helping a distributor too....so I don't understand the big secret!!!

My attitude....I don't have time for seek and find missions!!! More power to companies that make their product readily available.

bcgirl
Sun, May-06-01, 17:40
Just wanted to let you know that in my town on Vancouver Island I can get the ross choc bars from Peoples drug mart, theres not a great variety but you can find them in the diabetic section. Also one of our local health food stores is carrying alot of the flavors so if you cant find them in your town talk to a health food store they may be willing to get them in for you. Hope this helps someone.:)

r.mines
Sat, May-12-01, 20:42
For anyone in Vancouver's West End, I've just noticed them in the Shoppers Drug Mart in Denman Place mall, on Denman Street between Comox and Nelson. They had four or five flavours (dark, regular, cherry coconut, and almond, I think). They're in the diabetic section near the pharmacy.

Rachel

Elizabeth
Mon, Jun-18-01, 10:43
Good morning everyone,
I had a wonderful chocolate bar the other day made by a company in Canada called Ross Chocolate. The bars are sweetened with maltitol. The store I bought it at recommends it for diabetics etc., but had no info on the carb content. It was wonderful, and would be nice to know that something is available for those can't stand the craving days I get monthly! Any info would be great!
Thanks!
Elizabeth:confused:

Elizabeth
Mon, Jun-18-01, 11:02
Just to let everyone know....I ended up finding the phone number for Ross myself and called them for the info.
The stats are
each chocolate bar is 34 grams and has 12.7 grams of Maltitol per bar,
Coconut Delight is 3.4 grams carbs
Orange Delight is 3.0 grams carbs
Almond Delight is 3.9 grams carbs
Chocolate Supreme is 3.0 grams carbs
Not bad!! :D

toni
Thu, Jun-21-01, 19:45
I love these bars Elizabeth. We have them in the pharmacy where I work. I don't indulge too often but they are a wonderful treat!:D

fern2340
Fri, Jun-22-01, 05:57
Does anyone know if they have these in the US???? I haven't seen them anywhere!

Bonnie
Fri, Jun-22-01, 06:11

Yes, you can find them under the name of Pure Delite Bars :) ... I have found them in health food stores or you can order them online at numerous low carb sites ;)....

:) Bonnie

fern2340
Fri, Jun-22-01, 06:34
Thanks for the info Bonnie! I'll try to track them down and give them a try! :)

toni
Fri, Jun-22-01, 07:40
Here's a number for you, although, I'm not sure if you can access it from the US. 1-877-955-2267 Ross Chocolates.
I just tried the Cherry Delight one last night....yummy!:D

sylvie p
Fri, Jun-22-01, 14:37
Are Ross Chocolates easily available in Toronto? I haven't seen them in any Shoppers Drug Mart or Wal-Mart. Do I have to buy them at a nutrition store?

Love to try one.

Deirdre
Fri, Jun-22-01, 15:23
As far as I know they have never been seen in a store in Ontario.
They have a distributor in Toronto but he is apparently very difficult to get information from. I don't know who he sells them to! I think his phone number is here somewhere in this forum if you want to try calling him. Let us know if you find out anything.

I buy lots of other kinds of sugar free chocolate in the area that I'm sure is just as good and just as low carb if you subtract the maltitol grams, which is what Ross does.

tamarian
Fri, Jun-22-01, 15:29
In our shopping section (click Shopping then Online), we have a link to low-carb delight based in Ontario but they sell them online only. The owner, Cath is the one who told me about the low-carb bread and sent me a loaf :)

Wa'il

Tamara
Sat, Jun-23-01, 13:17
For anyone who loves and misses chocolate Hersey kisses like I do, should try Carbolite Chocolate Crunch bars from Hi-Health. No sugar and I believe just one or two carbs. They cure any chocolate craving.

Jenyphur
Tue, Aug-07-01, 09:04
Does anyone eat these??? They are AMAZING!!!

Does anyone have any additional information about them? They seem too good to be true. I'm sure there is a 'catch' somewhere.

Can I get them somewhere in the states?

Jennifer

Bonnie
Tue, Aug-07-01, 09:11
Jennifer,

Check out the threads, Re: Ross' Chocolates in the LC Products Forum... You will find many discussions in regards to the above ;)

:) Bonnie

Jenyphur
Tue, Aug-07-01, 09:26
Did a search right after I posted (and as you suggested). Wow....there is a LOT of info there. In fact, I think that's how I found out about the bars in the first place a few weeks ago. :) I ordered some online and they were delivered yesterday. All I can say is that they are wonderful.

I still can't seem to find out if they are available in the US or not?

Jen

herodl
Wed, Aug-08-01, 10:14
Originally posted by Deirdre
I buy lots of other kinds of sugar free chocolate in the area that I'm sure is just as good and just as low carb if you subtract the maltitol grams, which is what Ross does.

Does anyone know what the actual carb count is for Ross chocolates? They don't list any nutritional info except the amount of Maltitol.

Lori

Bonnie
Wed, Aug-08-01, 11:32
I found this site which does list the nutritional info:

http://www.rosschocolates.com/info.php

Bonnie

herodl
Wed, Aug-08-01, 12:34
Tks so much for the info.

I just used the carb count tool and found out that my favourite Ross bar (Mint Chocolate) has 13.9 carbs versus the 3.0 listed. Sneaky little devils! Well that would definitely account for the occasional stalls when I overindulge in what I thought were really low carb treats.

I don't really want to know, but suppose I should now recalculate the protein bars I love so much (Optimum Nutrition's Chocolate Banana).

Tks again,

Lori

Karen
Wed, Aug-08-01, 12:38
There is a hidden carb calculator, right on this site. Click Tools in teh red bar above.

Karen

doreen T
Wed, Aug-08-01, 12:42
If you click on "Tips" on the red menu bar, you can check out an article on Sugar Alcohols that explains maltitol, sorbitol and other sweeteners that aren't quite sugar, but are carbohydrates nonetheless.

I tend to avoid the sugar-free sweets, but once in a great while, I do indulge. The chance of triggering sweet cravings for carbier foods is very real, as is the laxative effect of some of these chemicals. Use with care.

Doreen

herodl
Wed, Aug-08-01, 12:43
Yes, that's what I used - a great (albeit a little upsetting since the count is higher. MUCH higher) tool not to mention site. I am so glad to have found it.

Cheers,

Lori

Kay
Thu, Aug-09-01, 17:20
I tried these bars over the last few weeks. Every single one gave me a sugar buzz - a light-headed, trembling, gotta-go-lie-down feeling. I had already done the hidden carb exercise and found that they are all well over 10 carbs a bar. They aren't even all that big or all that good, so what is the point?

From now on, if I indulge, I'll stick to homemade chocolate treats made with unsweetened baker's chocolate. The chocolate-coated almonds are as good as it gets.

P.S. Doreen - also a seriously painful half hour spent in the bathroom in the middle of the night. Never again!

doreen T
Thu, Aug-09-01, 18:39
Kay, don't know if you saw my journal today .. yesterday I indulged in some of the Russell Stover sugar-free peanut butter cups, sweetened with maltitol. Ohhh!! My poor bloated belly and yes, in the bathroom or stretched out on the couch in misery all night. And I too felt intoxicated, sluggish and very sleepy after eating. It's not the chocolate either, since I use cocoa with no problem. And I'm not diabetic either.

Use these sugar-alcohol products with caution .... and I particularly suggest this for folks who want to give them as sugar-free "treats" for children. These chemicals may be derived from food (usually corn or barley), but by the time they leave the laboratory, they're not food anymore! .. :(

Doreen

Kay
Thu, Aug-09-01, 20:42
Doreen, I am glad you mentioned that side effect. I probably wouldn't have made the connection without reading your post. I have been under the weather for at least three days since. It sure isn't worth it.

I hope you are feeling better now. We live and learn, don't we? (At least we can streamline the process - we learn from each other!)

herodl
Fri, Aug-10-01, 09:46
I also get quite a bit of gas when I eat Ross chocolate, fortunately not the double over kind some of you folks get. (I try to have some when I'm on my own, not going out LOL). I haven't noticed the other symptoms thank goodness, but having read this thread I think eating protein bars and/or chocolate bars is actually triggering cravings. I had been using them in moderation, but was under a lot of stress a few weeks back and started to eat them on a more regular basis. And the more regularly I have these, the more I seem to want (fortunately the side effects keep that in check, but it makes it harder to stick with this WOE).

I haven't done a lot of baking with Baker's chocolate. Obviously you don't get the side effects of gas etc., but I would be interested to hear if this kind of treat tends to trigger cravings or not. One of the main things I like about LC eating is not having cravings and not feeling starved all the time.

TIA

Lori

Karen
Fri, Aug-10-01, 09:53
I haven't done a lot of baking with Baker's chocolate. Obviously you don't get the side effects of gas etc., but I would be interested to hear if this kind of treat tends to trigger cravings or not.

For me it does. I used to make a pan of LC toasted almond chocolate and eat the whole thing in an evening. The next day, I'd make another. And on and on...

But, YMMV.

Karen

Kay
Fri, Aug-10-01, 10:51
I know about cravings. Believe me, I would never do anything to bring them back! Horrible monsters!!!!

I can eat one or two homemade chocolate almond clusters and feel completely satisfied. I usually keep them on hand in the freezer because the only time I really “need” one is TOM. But then, I have never been a big chocolate fan. As Karen says, it’s an individual thing.

herodl
Sat, Aug-11-01, 07:28
Knowing the true carb count of the protein bars and chocolate bars I've been eating has definitely curbed my cravings thank goodness. I thought I had an extremely low tolerance for carbs and now find I've been eating far more than I thought. Yahoo! I've been plugging all kinds of things into the carb calculator (a truly helpful tool) over the last day or so - what a difference. I love this site!

I'm going to go and buy some almonds and Baker's chocolate and give them a whirl, although I will be careful since I suspect anything sweet, chocolate in particular, is likely to cause cravings for me. It will be nice to have a snack I can eat when others are around LOL (i.e., no gas producing Maltitol).

Tks for the input,

Lori

Kay
Sat, Aug-11-01, 09:07
Lori, do you have a recipe? Here is the one I've been using. I notice that the method is similar to Karen's chocolate truffles which, no doubt, are superb - also, some tips, so you'll want to read it before you proceed. http://www.lowcarb.ca/karen/recipe025.html

Almond Clusters

Servings: 24

3 unsweetened baking chocolate squares
2 tablespoons butter
3 tablespoons whipping cream
1/2 cup splenda, granular
1/4 teaspoon stevia
2 cups roasted almonds

Melt chocolate and butter together in top of double boiler. Mix sweetener and warm cream together. Stir into melted chocolate. Stir in nuts. Drop into 24 clusters on waxed paper.

carbohydrates 3.5
fibre 1.6
effective carbohydrates 1.9

herodl
Sat, Aug-11-01, 20:58
I was just looking around for it and hadn't unearthed it yet so yours was a really timely email - tks! If it wasn't so late, I'd try making a batch. However, tomorrow will do I suppose. Is the Stevia just to make the recipe a little sweeter? I only picked up Splenda today. Also, what is the difference between "carbs" (3.5) and "effective carbs" (1.9)?

Tks again for the recipe,

Lori

Kay
Sat, Aug-11-01, 22:23
You're welcome, Lori. Glad it was useful.

I like to use stevia because it is a natural, not artificial, sweetener. It has no carbs. 1/4 teaspoon is said to approximately equal the sweetening power of 1 cup sugar but I've found it varies depending on what you are using it in. The sweetness is not always as intense as a recipe seems to need (especially chocolate) so that's why I use the Spenda as well. Use whatever you have on hand and adjust the amount to taste. Just remember to count the carbs in the Splenda - in quantity they add up. By the way, do dissolve it in the cream before you add it to the chocolate, and if you warm the cream, the chocolate mixture will stay workable a little longer. Another trick is to make this just after you have roasted your almonds and they are still warm.

Because I started low-carbing using the Protein Power Plan, all my recipes show the Effective Carbohydrate Count which is the total carbs minus the indigestible fibre. It's a highly discussed concept - people who start with Atkins do not generally do this, although you will find that you can get a lot more vegetables in if you do. Fibre is important and we should try to get 20 grams a day - a tall order if you are trying to only eat 20 g. carbs.

herodl
Wed, Aug-15-01, 15:09
Well, I made some almond clusters and you are so right, they are delicious and no "after effects" like the Ross chocolate bars and definitely cheaper (although Stevia is quite pricey - tk goodness you only use a little). I'm going to try slivered almonds next time I think, as I find the whole almonds a bit large to crunch through.

I also tried a banana bread recipe I found in one of the threads somewhere and it's pretty good, although doesn't even come close to the chocolate almond clusters.

While I'm talking about baking here, can anyone tell me if you can subsitute soya flour, powder and isolate for one another? I saw in one thread somwhere that the flour is less concentrated in terms of soy. Also, is there a difference in the carb count does anyone know?

TIA

Lori

Kay
Wed, Aug-15-01, 15:22
I'm glad they turned out for you, Lori.

Stevia has been coming down in price since I started buying it. The first 20 g. jar I bought was priced at 17.13 and I could only get it at the specialty health food store. Now I can find it lots of places, and this time 28 g. cost me 12.99 less 20% =10.39. Let's hope the trend continues. It's really nice to be able to get something that has been used for decades without harm.
And yes, it will last for a long, long time!

Norma June
Thu, Aug-16-01, 07:02
A company in Toronto called Sweets Galore is the distributor for Ross's bars. He told me that the General Store in Barrie will be carrying them ... I'm waiting. Check in your phone book to see if you have The General Store and call them to inquire if they have any.

I'm going to call Sweets Galore to find out just when they will be in my area. They ARE good, I tried a free sample, you can too ... from www.torontodirect.com

herodl
Thu, Aug-16-01, 07:21
Kay - I was laughing to myself when I was reading your post because it occured to me I NEVER complained about the cost of the carb junk food I ate before turning to this WOE. Puts it in perspective.

Norma - there's another online site to buy Ross chocolates at http://www.lowcarbdelights.com/ and they have a really good selection. There's shipping to pay of course, but I still found the total cost quite easy to live with (and it is chocolate afterall). I'm fortunate in that I can buy them at two stores here (in little ole Brandon, MB yet). Did you have any problems with the side effects of the Maltitol when you had the sample by the way? (Discussion about this earlier on in the thread)

Cheers,

Lori

Carmensqui
Fri, Aug-24-01, 18:02
Thank you for posting this info,

I got my order from Canada today (to southern California).

I tried the sampler pack, one each of 10 flavors for about $15.

They are really great Belgian flavored chocolates. I tried the raspberry and loved it. I can't wait to try the rest of them.

We're going on vacation next month to northern Montana and I told my hubby we have to go into Canada and ship some of these home.

Thanks again,
Carmen

Norma June
Fri, Aug-24-01, 20:11
Herodl, no I haven't had any of the unpleasant effects from the sample.

Normally I make my own chocolate treats using cream cheese, unsweetened chocolate, Splenda, pecan pieces and unsweetened coconut (some other ingredients too I think, perhaps vanilla ...). They're great! I put them in those little tinfoil cups and refrigerate. Yummy!

I don't want to order online ... what I want is to be able to go into a store and buy ONE chocolate bar. I don't like to have to buy more than I want at that particular moment and of course I refuse to pay shipping charges. I'm a weird consumer I know.
:eek:

Carmensqui
Sat, Aug-25-01, 08:22
Hi Lori,

I got so ill last night. I tried several new items in my diet yesterday and am not sure what caused this. Can you refer me to the post you were speaking about re: Maltitol?

Thanks,
Carmen

herodl
Sat, Aug-25-01, 08:45
Hi Carmen:

Doreen has a really good article on sugar alcohols here: http://www.lowcarb.ca/tips/tips010.html. Some people just get gas and bloating if they eat too much Maltitol (me), while others report having dizziness, extreme fatigue and/or a sense of euphoria, diarrhea, etc. It depends on your own physiology and on how much you eat. The discussion about side effects is earlier in this thread so if you just scroll back to around Aug 9th, it starts with a post by Kay.

Sorry to hear you weren't well yesterday and hope you're back on track healthwise today.

Cheers,

Lori

herodl
Sat, Aug-25-01, 09:00
Hi Norma June:

I understand completely your wanting to go into a store and buy one chocolate bar. Although it's getting better, good tasting LC convenience products are few and far between, and those there are can tend to be hard on the wallet. I still can't believe my luck that there are two stores here in my little city of 40,000 that sell Ross chocolates.

I'm a reluctant cook at best, but it's the only way you can manage to stave off boredom with LC eating I'm finding. I'm starting to try a few recipes and am not too unhappy about being in the kitchen so far. I have to say that I do daydream though about a restaurant that serves high quality, inexpensive, great tasting LC food LOL.

Regards,

Lori

ciouid
Mon, Jul-22-02, 18:02
Ross Chocolates are the absolute best!!! Only a few carbs per bar. The mint ones are my favourite. I don't like dark chocolate, but if you do you're in luck because the dark chocolate bar has only 1 carb!

Canadian $$ site: http://www.lowcarbdelights.com
US $$ site: http://www.lowcarbchocolates.com
:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

IslandGirl
Tue, Jul-23-02, 01:37
As a new member with only 7 postings... you might not have taken the time to look around in this Products forum yet. Welcome!

Yep, the Ross chocolate bars are a favourite for taste and texture, but the carb counts are NOT accurate. The same goes for all the chocolate made with sugar alcohols. Use the Hidden Carb Inspector (see the Menu Bar above, click on Tools) and enjoy with knowledge and caution...

yours... Products Forum Moderator

BSumner
Tue, Aug-27-02, 21:07
I had the Hard Candies they put out, ate 2 of them, and had horrible GI effects. I also broke out in a itchy rash. I threw everything out :(

mwmurphyx
Wed, Oct-30-02, 07:20
Does anyone know what the website, phone number, e-mail address of Ross Chocolates is? I've looked everywhere on the web. I read in one post they are in Kamloops BC but I couldn't find them. Help!

Please email mwmurphyx~yahoo.com

For some reason the '~' symbol is showing up in my e-mail address, so when you e-mail me please make sure to put the 'at' symbol, same as any other e-mail address. Thanks!

IslandGirl
Thu, Oct-31-02, 02:27
Don't worry about the at-sign being replaced by a 'tilde' (that's what the ~ is called); it's a security measure on this website to prevent your email address and everybody else's too from being being scooped up by spammers. They actually use software that 'spiders' all over the internet scooping up email address to send those dizguzting Meet Singles Now In Your Area!! type emails too... so it's a good thing, the little tilde.

Nobody really needs to email you directly, you should be automatically getting a notification that someone has responded to this post about the bars, then you get to come back here and read all about it! :D

Also, I'm guessing you're new here. I can tell you a bit more about the Ross Chocolate Bars.

Firstly, the maker/manufacturer doesn't publish to a website, doesn't have email or an 800 number because he doesn't retail. He can barely keep up with the wholesale, from the looks of things. Some of the bars have an address on them, it's basically a postal box, out of CHASE, BC (not that far from Kamloops, actually).

Maybe I can help you? What did you want to know?

sig: LowCarb Products Forum Moderator

mwmurphyx
Thu, Oct-31-02, 22:17
Island Girl, I actually just wanted to read about the bars from the manufacturer's webpage. I can probably find the bars at a health food store though.

To be honest I'm not a big believer in any kind of diet, especially a low carb one.

Sorry to get on a tangent but since I am posting here I just want to share my thoughts. Feel free to let me know what you think.

If you want to lose weight, you have to do the right things to lose weight and keep it up. You can not keep up a low carb diet, and most likely will put back weight as soon as you get off the low carb diet. Carbs are an essential part of your diet and you can't cut them out forever. Of course by cutting carbs you are cutting calories, so I don't doubt that you can lose weight by doing this. You can also lose weight on a hungerstrike too but that doesn't mean it's going to have lasting results. It's better to just eat the right amounts with a balanced diet.

I could probably write all day with all the stuff I found out during my weight loss trials but I'll leave it at that for now.

I used to weigh 212 but am now 150 and have been that way for 2 years. In fact I am having trouble keeping weight on (that's bad I guess!)

krazzybird
Fri, Nov-01-02, 13:35
mwmurphyx -

First of all, congrats on all your weight loss! :cheer:

The web address for Ross Chocolates is : www.rosschocolates.com

Another Low carber and myself paced an online order a couple of weeks ago and had our bars within 3 days (keeping in mind that was shipping from Washington State to Connecticut).

I haven't had any of the bars yet, but my low carber friend has and says they are very good. I am trying to forget I have them - still in induction and think the "hidden carbs" may cause me to stall (or get too hooked on chocolate again...). But something tells me that once TOM arrives I will remember where I put them!! :D

Hope that helped....

IslandGirl
Fri, Nov-01-02, 20:26
krazzybird, the website you gave is actually a website for a US-based RETAILER of Ross Chocolates, originally he was (and still is for ordering) www.lowcarbchocolates.com ... that is NOT the website of the maker of Ross Chocolates.

Feel free to let me know what you think.
mwmurphyx, since you said that, I will :devil:

Firstly, why would you care about Ross Chocolates if you don't believe in any kind of diet?

Secondly, this is a website for the sharing of knowledge and support for those who have CHOSEN a low carb way of life (and I say that specifically to indicate that this is about a LOT more than "just a diet"... for those of us who have (a) metabolic issues that have as ONE of the symptoms carb sensitivities leading to (b) excessive weight gain. Clearly you don't fit in either category, nor have you done much research in this area.

I suggest that if you want to participate in our website (the knowledge and support part), you might want to spend some time in our more technical sections and keep in mind that we are here for and about Low Carb.

Most of us have ALREADY had the discussion with naysayers about our way of life... truly we're past that, and generally would prefer that if you aren't interested in low carb and the benefits and science underlying it, that you don't post here until you've gone through the same material and research many of us have...

Well, you DID say "Feel free to let me know what you think", didn't ya?!? :D :devil: :D So please don't take this personally.

On a more technical note, if you don't want to discuss LowCarb Products, this is definitely the wrong forum to be posting to. However, I'll leave your post here in the interest of "free speech" unless this turns into a flaming war of some kind...

Thanks for your input, sig: LowCarb Products Forum Moderator

krazzybird
Fri, Nov-01-02, 20:50
Judi -

Wow, I didn't realize that Ross Chocolates actually bought them from someone else... how naive am I, wow do I feel silly... :p

Oh well - learn something new everyday. Thanks for letting me know my error... :)

mwmurphyx
Fri, Nov-01-02, 22:29
I was interested in the chocolates because I know a diabetic who might enjoy them.

I found this forum because while looking for the manufacturer this came up because of the Ross Chocolates topic.

I honestly wasn't trying to start any type of flame war. I guess I was just trying to share my experience with dieting and trying to be helpful.

I'm not sure I understand how low carbs are a way of life (I'll read more) and not just another diet.

I lost all my weight simply by getting some exercise and eating reasonable portions of food (well there was a systematic approach). My friend did the same thing as me and lost 100 lbs of blubber and has had it off for years.

Metabolic issues? Have you tried any strength training?

Oh well, there are different ways to skin a cat and I hope this one really does work for you.

mwmurphyx
Fri, Nov-01-02, 22:48
Just to be devil's advocate here's a different point of view. Now you don't have to read it since but I found it fascinating.

OK, now I'm done on this forum! See ya!

http://www.vegsource.com/articles/mcdougall_protein.htm

Karen
Sat, Nov-02-02, 00:28
Thanks for the incredible dose of enlightenment. It was an absolutely brilliant move to spread the word in a thread on the carb count of Ross Chocolate.

Gee, I don't think anyone here knew that about strength training! Wow! It increases your metabolism?

Buh-bye! Have an equally swell and profound time on the next forum you visit!

Karen

chow100
Fri, Dec-06-02, 20:55
Just so everybody pays close attention. Some of the chocolates mentioned like Laura Secords sugar free is not low carb although it is sugar free. And some other ones are a little tricky and I almost got taken in with the saying (0 carbs from sugar) but when you really look at the carb content it is like 16. So pay close attention, the de-lite ones are low carb and I have never seen the Ross ones in our area.

jeanyyy
Sat, Mar-22-03, 20:48
I just got back from a People's Drug Mart near me and I was thrilled to see they had Ross chocolate bars. However, only a few were labelled "ROSS" in large print - most of them were labelled "XXX DELIGHT", the "XXX" being the flavour (e.g. DARK DELIGHT"). However both types had the Ross Chocolate logo in the upper left hand corner.

The ones labelled ROSS.. had all the nutrition info on the back; whereas the DELIGHT ones only gave the grams of Maltitol. What gives? Are these DELIGHT ones the same as the ROSS, just different packaging?

I had previously found some PURE DELITE bars in a healthfood store, but they had a US address on them (they were very good, I might add).

I tried searching the forums, but didn't really get an answer to my confusion.. so hoping someone out there might know.

steph z
Sun, Mar-23-03, 22:20
My understanding is now Ross is complying with our crazy Canadian labeling rules - and has re-done its labels regarding nutritional info. That is list everything and do not pre-deduct maltitol.

Ross used to manufacture Pure Delight, I hear, before PD found another manufacturer. Maybe they want to better differentiate from PD? Hence the slight name change?

Hope this helps -

IslandGirl
Tue, Mar-25-03, 19:12
Originally posted by jeanyyy
...However both types had the Ross Chocolate logo in the upper left hand corner.

The ones labelled ROSS.. had all the nutrition info on the back; whereas the DELIGHT ones only gave the grams of Maltitol. What gives? Are these DELIGHT ones the same as the ROSS, just different packaging?

I had previously found some PURE DELITE bars in a healthfood store, but they had a US address on them (they were very good, I might add)...

As long as the ROSS logo is there, it's a ROSS bar. Differences in the labelling are from different runs/batches and yes, they are complying with amended Canadian labelling regulations.

I do believe they DID (and may still do) manufacture for Pure Delight in the States under contract. I still find a bar occasionally with US addressing and a very tiny "made in Canada" label.

jeanyyy
Wed, Mar-26-03, 12:42
Originally posted by IslandGirl
Differences in the labelling are from different runs/batches and yes, they are complying with amended Canadian labelling regulations.

Well, I hope the DELIGHT label is the *old* one, cos there is basically NO nutrition info on those ones.

With the Ross bars, some were labelled (in caps) "ROSS" , some "DELIGHT" (not Pure Delight), whereas the Pure De-Lite ones with the US address but made in Canada are labelled/spelled "PURE DE-LITE ". I only mention this for clarity, by the way, so everyone is clear on what we're talking about :)

LadyDi
Sat, Apr-19-03, 12:16
This bar is by the Ross company out of Chase BC Canada.....Its belgian chocolate and comes in lots of flavors....
Its says 3.3 carbs on the front with an *
So I flip it over and it says: Total carbs 17.1.......BUT it goes on....*Carbohydrates in the Maltitol, which impact on the blood sugar/insulin levels is negligible, total 13.8g. Net impactible carbs 3.3g

My stix are still purple...I had 2 cause its easter...they are good!!!!

I got them in a store in Canada called IGA....

Their phone number for Ross Company is...1-877-955-2267

I have an adress also if anyone is interested :roll:

Rosebud
Sat, Apr-19-03, 15:10
....*Carbohydrates in the Maltitol, which impact on the blood sugar/insulin levels is negligible, total 13.8g.
Hi there LadyDi,
Just be aware that sugar alcohols such as maltitol can have a much greater than "negligible" effect on some people. Many folk have posted that sugar alcohols cause them to stall. They can also have a nasty laxative effect.

You'll find more information on sugar alcohols in an excellent article by Doreen T in "Low Carb Tips" on the orange bar at the top of the screen.

Cheers.

:rose:Rosebud:rose:

LadyDi
Sat, Apr-19-03, 17:15
yes I remember some hard candies that had Malitol in them...... :yum: :yum: :eek: :eek:

Nelle90
Sun, Apr-27-03, 13:55
Another problem for me is that eating too many chocolates sweetened with maltitol caused my food cravings to come zooming back!

I thought I was losing my mind. Couldn't figure out why I needed chocolate every day and then wanted stuff that I hadn't eaten in weeks.

As soon as I stopped eating them, the cravings stopped.

TimmyThang
Wed, May-21-03, 11:41
Originally posted by fern2340

I found a site which sends to the US and it seems to have the cheapest prices.

Here is the link:
http://www.ross-chocolates.com/

retrochiq
Sat, Aug-02-03, 17:30
Ross chocolate bars...the almond one is good...but no calorie or carb count on the package...does someone happen to know?
Thank you
Jess

LCalamari
Sat, Aug-02-03, 18:11
Total effective carbs for the almond ross chocolate is 3.9g

here is a link http://maxpages.com/cyndi/ross_nutritional

HTH

retrochiq
Sat, Aug-02-03, 18:22
Thank you LCalamari!! I really enjoyed the mint one the other day also....mmmm.

LCalamari
Sat, Aug-02-03, 18:53
You are welcome!! Where did you buy them??

retrochiq
Sun, Aug-03-03, 09:00
At Herbie's drugstore in St. Catharines...

katgal
Mon, Aug-04-03, 16:00
Walmart carries Ross chocolate bars, too. In every Walmart I've been to, they're over by the drug center (not with the regular chocolates).

retrochiq
Mon, Aug-04-03, 16:15
wow, I'll have to look there, I wonder if they are cheaper than Herbie's. Thanks.

katgal
Mon, Aug-04-03, 17:28
Yep, they're MUCH cheaper than anywhere I've found. All of their low carb chocolate bars are 96 cents each. They have quite a selection of brands, too.

retrochiq
Mon, Aug-04-03, 17:32
Katgal-Not sure of your location: but I live in Canada and usually pick up the bars for 1.39...In the States, they would be cheaper. :)
Jess

katgal
Mon, Aug-04-03, 17:34
I'm in Sacramento. The three Walmart's in the area I've been to all have Ross chocolate bars for 96 cents each.

retrochiq
Mon, Aug-04-03, 17:35
*sigh*.....that's why I wished I lived in the States....Here in Canada, I'm afraid our Walmarts do not have the same variety........ :(

Fifiloo
Mon, Nov-03-03, 12:04
I personally do not like the Ross Bars, but on the East Coast in the US you can purchase them at CVS drugstores.