PDA

View Full Version : Help W/ Fibre

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Psilocybin
Wed, Oct-16-02, 18:30
Alright, I'm new to this game, I'm only on day 2 but doing well. My only problem is fibre intake. All my life I've loved meats and hated veggies, and when I found out I could lose weight because of it I dove right in.
I had my mom shop for me (was going to go with her, but ended up having plans). She only picked up like 1/3 of what I asked for, as she was unsure of many things (even though she did Atkins years ago). So basically I'm living off mostly fish this weekend. I forgot my case of chicken, and the celery she did grab me (celery and potatoes are the only veggies I eat). So I'm lacking big time on fibre intake.
I went down to the health store, grabbed a thing of powdered psillium husks. She said it was flavourless, and oh boy is she wrong. You mix it with water and you get this syrup that gets thicker the longer you wait, almost like jello by the time its done. It has this strange taste that I just cant get past. So I dumped half a pack of sugarfree Koolaid in, and shook it up. That's at least drinkable, but still not something I'll enjoy drinking.
So I'm wondering what good sources of fibre are? Like I was hoping to make some sort of breading for cooking fish in, so mixed the powder with egg and all I got was this big ball of dough :(
I'll definately grab more supplies when I'm home this weekend. But I still need some ideas. I grabbed Keto bread mix, so I'm gonna make that up. But its still not that great for fibre, so can I dump some of this powder in it/ Or will that just fuck it up?

Lisa N
Wed, Oct-16-02, 18:57
Well....

It seems you have some choices. Do you hate the taste of the psyllium husks more than you hate veggies? If so, you may want to consider adding more veggies. Raw spinach has a lot of fiber as do most raw salad veggies. You might find that you actually enjoy them with enough salad dressing on them. ;) You also may find that your tastes for veggies have changed over the years; try new ones and experiment a bit. You may be pleasantly surprised. Even my 7 and 8 year old kids will eat spinach when I cook it with bacon and put parmesan cheese on top. Of course, these are the same kids who love broccoli. What can I say...they're not typical kids when it comes to veggies.
Another option the next time you go to the health food store is to get a bag of unprocessed wheat bran and some ground flax seed (also called flaxmeal) and mix them half and half (1/4 cup each). Next add an equal amount of hot water (1/2 cup) along with some cream, butter and Splenda and you have a high-fiber substitute for hot breakfast cereal. Some people (like me) find that they actually enjoy the taste, others find it takes a little getting used to, but it's not nearly as bad as plain psyllium husks...trust me. The first time my 8 year old daughter tried it, she remarked that it tasted like grass. I wasn't going to ask how she knew. :D
For breading on fish or chicken try crushed up pork rinds. Sounds crazy, but it works great. Just dip the meat in an egg white whipped with a bit of cream before you dip in the crushed pork rinds and voila! Breading!

Zuleikaa
Wed, Oct-16-02, 19:35
You use 1 tablespoon of phylissium with 8 oz. warm water. Drink immediately before it thickens. Follow with another glass of water.

Psilocybin
Wed, Oct-16-02, 20:07
I thickens quite... darn quick.

And if by hating veggies I dont mean the taste, it was always texture for me.

Lisa N
Wed, Oct-16-02, 20:21
What in particular about the texture of veggies don't you like? There may be ways around that too with a little creativity, especially given that not all veggies have the same texture. If you like raw celery, how about raw cauliflower or broccoli? The textures of all three are similar (especially cauliflower and celery).

Grendeldog
Wed, Oct-16-02, 20:33
Psilocybin,

I'm with you on the veggies. The only legal ones I like are celery, lettuce (iceburg and romaine only), a little spinach in a salad (I hate the texture when it's cooked, even just a little bit), tomatoes, onions (cooked), and garlic. Pretty limiting.

For fiber I do several things. One is to try to include ground flax seeds in as many things as I can. They will thicken things up, so be careful what you use them in. (I tried them in scrambled eggs once and ended up with a solid mass of flaxy tasting egg. Not very appetizing!) I like to put it in protein shakes, my father puts it in cranberry juice (obviously, he is not on a low carb diet). Two Tablespoons of seeds ground up gives 8 grams of fiber and LOTS of Essential Fatty Acids ... including the elusive Omega 3 EFA.

I also look for higher fiber lo-carb snacks. For example, Cheeter's Crackers have 5g fiber in 3 crackers. These crackers come in a few flavors including sesame, cinnamon, plain, etc. They aren't Ritz's but then they won't kill your blood sugar like a Ritz either. Another snack I eat is Keto Chips which have 6g fiber in a 1oz serving. These are similar to tortilla chips in style, but again, they aren't Doritos! You'll find, though, that as time goes by, things you don't like now will become more palatable so don't give up on things that you try early on in the program.

I also eat low carb tortillas from La Tortilla. The small tortilla (taco size) has 9g of fiber! These also take some getting used to but they work for me for quesadillas or hamberger "buns".

For breading, I generally use Keto Crumbs which have 9g fiber per 1/4 C serving (although I don't generally have anywhere near a quarter cup at a time). I haven't gotten them to brown the way I like yet, but I only just started using them.

You can get these products (and MANY more) at the online low-carb stores advertised on this site. I've ordered from Netrition.com among others and been very pleased.

Hope this helps!
Penny

lkonzelman
Thu, Oct-17-02, 08:12
Ok - I want this on the record that you still need to eat your veggies (sorry but I really believe this).

But I bought the Psyullum Fiber Husk pills and they are great. No taste and you are done. I take two a day with a multi vitamin.

Psilocybin
Thu, Oct-17-02, 15:07
I've survived this far in life on just meat and potatoes. Only thing different now is I dont eat the carbs.

To be honoust, I dont like celery, but I can force it down. Its like chewing on a branch of a tree, with lots of mustard.

I cant afford most of those things from low carb stores, as I'm just a poor college student. My cupboard is stocked with cheap canned fish, cheese, and deli meat. I bought one thing of Keto bread mix (with money my mom gave me) and it was 8 bucks canadian for just one thing. Thats one expensive loaf of bread!

But I'm gonna try mixing some of this stuff in with my protein shakes. I was not drinking them as I've been having no problems getting my necessary levels of protein (good ol' fish). But if it hides the fibre, then its worth a try.

I choked down a thing of water + husks last night, it was like drinking jello. Nasty!

Zuleikaa
Thu, Oct-17-02, 16:07
The trick to getting phylissium down is to mix it fast and drink it quickly before it thickens!

Regarding veggies. If necessary buy canned ones. Don't worry to much about "fake" carbs. They're better left alone at the start.

Lisa N
Thu, Oct-17-02, 16:23
Well....

If you're not going to eat your veggies, I hope you're at least taking a good multivitamin. There are a lot of things found in veggies (vitamins and phytonutrients) that you can't get in a pill, but at least it's better than nothing.

phop
Thu, Oct-17-02, 17:01
Perhaps I'm missing something here. If Psilocybin is so into psilocybin, then mushrooms must be an acceptable veggie. Or perhaps that is the basis for the affinity for koolaid. If you can down the mushrooms via koolaid, surely you can get the phylissium husks down. Also, cutting out the cannabis (yes, it's on the profile) may help you stay on track and reduce cravings.

Psilocybin
Thu, Oct-17-02, 18:01
Ooh, someone who knew what Psilocybin was. Excellent :P

I dont like the taste of mushrooms, not at all. What I always have done is put a can of frozen orange juice, 2.5g of mushrooms and a vitamin C tablet in the blender and let that go for min. You coudlnt taste a thing! Though now I'll have to find a new way to choke them down. Maybe in my protein shakes?

But as far as smoking herb goes, I dont get the munchies bad like some people do. Only a few times in my years has that been a problem, right now I just grab my bag of cheese curds or cheesestrings and they keep me happy. I've only been eating like 1800 calories a day, for about 6 months now.

And I started taking Centrum's multivitamin every day. Its probably the first time my body's seen some of those nutrients :P

Oh, and I've never been one for culinary mushrooms either. I've choked them down on pizza once or twice though.

Josiemk
Fri, Oct-18-02, 11:24
Almonds have 4 grams of fiber. Try adding about a handful as a snack. I always had a problem w/ constipation , so I use to eat a bowl of Raisen Bran every day, then I finally I decided I need to lose weight some people I knew had good results w/ low carb / high protein diets so I decided to try one. I was worried about my constipation problem , thinking I would be constipated , before I would go for days w/out going to the restroom. Well I have been low carbing for about 2 months now & I think I am going almost every day. And I no longer suffer bloating. But I eat seeds & nuts as a snack everyday.

:wave:
Josie

Psilocybin
Fri, Oct-18-02, 12:21
Hmmm... I've never been one for nuts of any sort. But I think I found a method that works. I mixed it in with my protein shake then stuck it in the freezer for a bit. It was ice cold and almost like a thick shake (normally my protein shakes are very watery).
Wasnt too bad. Now I just need to get some fat content into my protein shakes.

Kemss
Fri, Oct-18-02, 13:08
what about adding some heavy cream to the shakes? Then you'd really have a nice cold shake.... with all the good stuff needed! yummy

RCFletcher
Sat, Oct-19-02, 02:13
Hi Psilocybin,

You might like to try cauliflower. It is my staple vegetable. You can boil it until it is soft then add a big blob of butter and a dash of cream and mash it. The result can almost pass for mashed potatoes (especially if like me you haven't had real mashed potatoes for over a year lol) :p

I also use spinach but I chop it up and fry it for a few minutes and then add a couple of eggs and scramble it all together. You hardly know the spinach is there!

Do you like soups? If so you can blend veggies into them which will thicken them and also get rid of their texture.

Just a few ideas.

Robert :wave:

Psilocybin
Tue, Oct-22-02, 16:05
I have tried the heavy cream idea, but I just heard the other day that its actually not something you're supposed to consume on induction.

Lisa N
Tue, Oct-22-02, 16:53
You can have heavy cream on induction, but it's limited to no more than 2 fluid ounces (1/4 cup) per day.

Psilocybin
Tue, Oct-22-02, 20:07
oh, ok