PDA

View Full Version : Still blind about fats

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

tamarian
Fri, Jun-15-01, 10:33
Friday June 15 3:13 AM ET

New Zealand Group Advocates Fat Tax

WELLINGTON, New Zealand (AP) - A New Zealand nutritional group suggested Friday that food should be taxed according to its fat content in an effort to curb obesity.

More than half of all New Zealanders are overweight or obese, and obesity claims the lives of more than 1,000 people each year in this country of 4 million - twice the number killed in traffic accidents, Agencies for Nutrition Action said Friday.

``We've got to take action,'' Agencies chief Sue Zimmerman told National Radio. ``We're saying if we don't include a really long-term commitment to prevention, we're going to be in trouble with this.''

While there isn't much evidence that higher taxes would keep people from buying high-fat foods, ``We're saying we should be looking at it,'' she said.

Zimmerman said, however, that she believed teaching people how to reduce fat in their diet may be a better way of handling the obesity problem.

``We make fantastic low-fat products in New Zealand but we need more incentive for their prices to be accessible to those people on low incomes,'' she said.

http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/ap/20010615/wl/new_zealand_fat_tax_1.html

tamarian
Fri, Jun-15-01, 12:05
An important question about this "nutritional group" and Ms. Zimmerman.

Are they simply as misguided as the poor ignorant souls they sound like (it's easy to find relevant research if they were interested), or are they playing a part to squeeze more farmers out of the business to make more profits for the processed food industry?

Such advocacies are not new, it's just surprising that it now spread to New Zeland, where the economy maybe one of the worst hit by such an idiotic plan.

However, the statements made DO indicate financial interest in marketing their "fantastic low-fat" products.

doreen T
Fri, Jun-15-01, 12:09
Wa'il, right on! I was thinking this too, as I read the article ... and I can't imagine ANY dairy industry, no matter what country, supporting such a ridiculous plan. How would they tax?? based on percent fat by weight, by calories?? .... even 2% milk is 30% fat by calorie content. Sheeeesh ...

Zimmerman ... that name rings a bell from the oft-quoted anti-Atkins camp .. hmm..

Doreen

tamarian
Fri, Jun-15-01, 12:30
I think she's not the same. That's probably Bruce Zimmerman from the Diabetic Association! ;)

doreen T
Fri, Jun-15-01, 12:58
Actually, I was thinking of Gittleman (Anne Louise) formerly of the Pritikin Institute .... but the articles I have in mind were written by by someone else ... name is blank ... but it probably doesnt' even resemble Zimmerman ... LOL ... I'm delirious, the heat is going to my head... :p

Doreen