PDA

View Full Version : Triglycerides

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Genesis
Tue, Jun-12-01, 09:33
This may sound like a stupid question, but if triglycerides get really low, is that dangerous. I heard that somewhere, but cannot remember where. I just had a physical, and my triglycerides were at 0.41, where under 2.30 is ok. I think the measurements are in mmol/l. I have never had a problem with triglycerides, but they keep getting lower and lower everytime I get a checkup. Ther were 0.73 in January

doreen T
Wed, Jun-13-01, 10:01
hi Bill,

I've scoured the medical literature, and as far as I can see, low triglyceride levels isn't mentiioned anywhere as a pathological entity. Meaning -- you're fine... :)

In a healthy person, triglycerides, along with ketones, are an efficient fuel, especially for skeletal muscle tissue (whereas heart muscle and kidneys prefer the ketones). Exericse will increase the metabolism, and burn more triglycerides ... and as I recall, you're bicycling. Cardio. workouts will definitely make the furnace burn hotter, and consequently more fatty acids (in the form of TG's) will be burned.

Your low TG level is enviable, and a sign that your metabolism is in great shape! .. ;) .. Keep up the good work.

Doreen