PDA

View Full Version : Low Carb Headaches

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

SassyCassy
Wed, Oct-09-02, 10:02
Hi, I've just joined this group today and have been trying to do the low carb way of life on and off since January.

I've managed to lose a little over 10 pounds this year, but I mostly attribute this loss to increased exersize (sp?)

Anyway, I found that I get terrible headaches on the Atkins and have no idea how to avoid them.

I got the Carbohydrate Addicts books which seem to be a better plan for me except I can't seem to eat my reward meal within an hour and I can't stop myself from eating more carbs once I start.

Does anyone have any suggestions for me?

I am a total bread and carb addict!

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide

Talon
Wed, Oct-09-02, 10:31
If you have trouble stopping after the one hour reward meal, and can't stop once you start. Then I would say that diet is not for you - you are a carb addict. Atkins would definately be better, epsically in the first few months.

The headaches you are experiencing are most likely carbohydrate withdraw headaches. If you stick it out for the full induction, you may have these headaches for the first few days, some people up to 5-6 days. But after that, it gets much much better.

Zuleikaa
Thu, Oct-10-02, 18:29
CAD is for carb addicts. At the start it is easy to get out of control because you can't believe that you can have whatever you want. When I first started the diet I had a pint of Ben & Jerry's ice cream for dessert every night. I still lost weight! Unbelievable!

However, CAD is a diet that works with your body chemistry and your body's response to the presence of carbs. It is imperitive that you stick to the one hour time limit! Set a timer on yourself if necessary! Don't stop eating and go back later for dessert.

When I first started I used to eat for the full hour. After awhile I didn't use all the time eating and could care less. I ate until I was satisfied and didn't want any more. In the beginning though I was like a kid in the candy store. I ate humongous meals just because I could. I think subconciously I was testing the limits. Was this really going to contain my cravings? Was I really going to lose weight eating all this food. The answer was Yes!! Give it time. In time your body and mental attitude will adjust and you will find out what it feels like to be full and satisfied and not want any more food.