PDA

View Full Version : FM pain in AM

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Allanigan
Thu, Oct-03-02, 12:17
I'm was pretty much completely in remission and I was doing AWESOME on the LC Atkin diet..losign weight and feeling great. I knoticed the last couple days I've been very sore in the AM but it wears off quickly, and I've been really tired. the only thing I've changed since my first week is I added a Multi vitamin...I'm planning to add back my calcium too, which I haven't taken in several months. I was just wondering if anyone else had noticed this..

doreen T
Thu, Oct-17-02, 09:55
hi there,

Are you sleeping well? 60% of fibromites have an associated sleep disorder .. leaving them feeling unrefreshed and sore in the morning. It's called an "alpha-delta" or "non-restorative" sleep pattern. From "The Fibromyalgia Advocate: Getting the Support You Need to Cope with Fibromyalgia and Myofascial Pain Syndrome", by Devin J. Starlanyl:You need sleep. Not just 8 hours of sleep, but sufficient RESTORATIVE sleep. You must wake up feeling like you have slept, NOT like trained elephants spent the night flamenco dancing on your body!

If you were awake many times during the night, if you had no dreams, or if you woke up more tired than you were when you went to sleep, you didn't get restorative sleep. You and your doctor must work together to find out what medications or combination of medications work to provide you this blessing that so many people take for granted.

read more here (http://www.sover.net/~devstar/perpet.htm)Another factor may be low magnesium. The early weeks of low-carbing at ketogenic levels will cause a diuresis .. increased urine output. This increase in urine can and will cause increased loss of magnesium and potassium as well. Fibromites tend to have low magnesium levels to start with, so you should consider adding a magnesium supplement. The general recommendation is 450mg per day, in divided doses. You can safely take more than that, up to 750mg per day, but be aware that magnesium supplements might cause diarrhea. Magnesium often comes together with calcium in the same tablet (calcium can be constipating, so the two minerals together may be better in terms of bowel tolerance). The most commonly available Cal-Mag contain 333mg calcium and 167mg magnesium (or 2:1). Take 3 of these per day in divided doses .. take the last dose before bedtime to help your sleep.

Hope this helps.

Doreen

quietone
Wed, Jan-08-03, 09:37
I have noticed that my friends with fibro have flares the same time my SAD comes on. I truly believe there is a connection.