PDA

View Full Version : Posted to the wrong place: Strategies for Helping 7 yo w/Eating Habits

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

ginkirk
Tue, Oct-01-02, 08:43
:doah:

Sorry -- I originally posted this to the wrong thread. Let's try this again.

After listening to Power Protein book I started getting concerned about general health issues for my 7 1/2 year old with regards to pastas, grains & of course, sugar & fake fats. I'm looking for strategies for helping her adapt her tastes toward more healthy foods & away from processed stuff like mac & cheese from the box or sandwich cookies. How do you get a kid to change from something she clearly likes to something she clearly doesn't like? White bread to wheat, for example. She's quite in touch with her feelings on this. (However, on Friday last week she decided she wanted to be a vegetarian. Guess it's the nutrition education she's getting in class these days.)

Thanks in advance

Edit: Oh yes -- dd is not overweight (not even close) & doesn't seem to exhibit secretive eating habits either (which I definitely DID by her age). I'm just thinking about trying to help her choose better foods. Thanks much.

sweetooth6
Mon, Nov-25-02, 03:09
I am trying to get my 8 year old daughter off the bread, rice, pasta and sugar. She is overweight and I (and this sounds stupid) just don't think her or I (our bodies that is) can handle carbs. Hopefully cutting this stuff out will help her. I want her to basically stick to good carbs, as in veggies.

MelissaEsc
Tue, Dec-10-02, 13:22
My oldest son is 7 (he'll be 8 in April) and weighs 107 lbs. I'm 5'3" and only a head taller than he is, so he's not exceptionally short, but still overweight. In his father's side of the family just about everyone, no correction, everyone in his family is overweight and I don't want Bobby (my son) to have any health problems. He already has asthma, and I know with some weight loss, it'll alleviate some of his breathing problems. I watch his carb intake at home, but like someone else in the thread said, the schools are not very good about that. He's aware that he's bigger than other kids his age and is pretty good for the most part at home, but not always. He still always want take out... a bad habit I got him in when he was a lot younger and now I'm dealing with the consequences of those actions. Hopefully, with time, I'll get him eating healthier and get his weight down a little.

Wish me luck!!