PDA

View Full Version : Lime-ginger-chili Chicken thighs

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

doreen T
Wed, Mar-14-01, 16:04
hi all,

This is an adaptation of my Lemon-Garlic-Herb-Chicken Thighs recipe (http://www.lowcarb.ca/recipes/poultry104.html) (click on title for link). And yes, they are both original, from me to you!!... ;)

Lime-Garlic-Ginger-Sesame Chicken Thighs

8 large chicken thighs, skin removed, but bone in
grated rind, and juice of 1 large lime,
3 large cloves garlic, minced or grated
1" piece fresh ginger root, grated
1/2 tsp garam masala spice
hot red chili flakes to taste
2 Tbsp canola or other mild vegetable oil
1 Tbsp dark toasted sesame oil
3 Tbsp chopped fresh coriander (cilantro) for garnish
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

- place chicken parts in 9 x 9" baking dish. Blend remaining ingredients in small bowl, pour over chicken and mix to combine. Cover, and marinate for 1 to 4 hrs in the fridge. Place uncovered dish in cold oven, turn to 350 degrees F. and bake for 45 to 50 min. or till juices run clear when pierced with a fork. Baste the chicken with pan juices during baking.

Total carbs, around 10, so just over 1 carb gram per piece. This is so good cold, I intentionally make leftovers.

This recipe can be adapted for chicken leg quarters, or chicken breast pieces....... just adjust baking time up or down depending on size.

Hope you enjoy, ... :)

Doreen

Sharon
Wed, Mar-14-01, 21:50
Sounds great Doreen, but what is garam masala spice..this one is new to me??

Sharon

r.mines
Wed, Mar-14-01, 22:05
Thanks, Doreen, sounds yummy and easy. I love hot and curry-ish tasting things. It's a keeper!

Rachel

doreen T
Thu, Mar-15-01, 08:23
It's an Indian mixed-spice, with coriander seed, cumin, cardamom, cinnamon, cloves and black pepper - sometimes nutmeg. Some cooks vary their blends depending on the type of food, eg, a vegetable dish vs. lamb. Unlike curry powder, it doesn't have the strong yellow colour (turmeric) and it's not hot.

You can buy prepared garam masala wherever Indian curries and spices are sold. I love East Indian and Middle Eastern food, so I buy the whole seeds and mix my own masalas.

Doreen

gecolon
Thu, Nov-15-01, 13:05
Just when I was getting bored with Lo carb food. These sound wonderful. I will be cooking all weekend.