PDA

View Full Version : Twist spread...

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

sherrybee
Tue, Jun-05-01, 18:18
has anyone tried this stuff????....oh my word it's sinful!!!!!....if you go to www.lowcarbgrocery.com you will find it for about $5 a jar.....it comes in chocolate and chocolate hazelnut.....

GOOD STUFF!!!!!!!!!!!!

Voyajer
Tue, Jul-23-02, 14:34
Okay, so I bought some.

I hate to throw a bucket of cold water on anyone because this stuff tastes wonderful . . .

BUT it is practically 100% trans fat. This is the fat that the US just declared not good to eat in any amount. This is "partially hydrogenated vegetable oil". See the research forum for information on how this stuff raises cholesterol and is not good for your health.

Now in perspective, Twist will not make you gain weight. It is truly low carb but does contain maltitol. And healthwise, it is the same as eating a Sara Lee cake or most other cakes, cookies and potato chips which we've done for years anyway. But if you really are trying to lower cholesterol and have good health by low-carbing, then you really shouldn't be eating this stuff. For those who just want to lose weight and figure they've eaten a bunch of bad foods before what's one more, then enjoy.

P.S. Sorry for the "burst-everyone's-bubble" post.

Flaxie
Mon, Jul-29-02, 12:32
Dang!!! I LOVE the stuff. Hmmm, I wonder if there is anyway to make a spread that doesn't have transfatty acids in it. And without the sugar alcohols would be REALLY great. Ok, off to the kitchen..... (to experiment and maybe have just a taste of Twist...I LOVE it on Cinnamon Cheeters Crackers)
Julee

IslandGirl
Thu, Aug-01-02, 12:51
Flaxie, The Good Stuff cookbook, a recipe called Chocolate Butter (very old concept) made with unsalted butter, very good Dutch process dark cocoa, a little vanilla, a little almond extract and of course, sweeteners (a.k.a. sugar). Nuts optional.

Twist is a lowcarb version of an old recipe for chocolate hazelnut 'butter' spread, not the other way around! :devil: