PDA

View Full Version : Anyone from Arizona?

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

arizonafly
Sun, Sep-22-02, 12:29
I live near Phoenix..just wanting to say hi to all you here in Arizona. Dani

jraz
Wed, Oct-02-02, 20:27
Hi Arizonafly.. I am from "chilli" Bullhead City Arizona.. and loving this weather....
Phoenix is my home..Nice to meet you.. J.R. :wave:

ptjody
Sun, Oct-06-02, 18:54
I do not live in Arizona. I actually live in Missouri. I spent 3 weeks during an internship in Phoenix and fell in love with the place. I absolutely love the fact that there are so many outdoor activities around there. I finally made it to the top of Camelback Mountain.....talk about a workout!! I've even thought of someday retiring in the area, if I don't move out there first.

Carole
Mon, Oct-28-02, 14:55
Hi, here in Yuma. Nice to know others are doing LC here.

dece
Wed, Nov-27-02, 12:52
Hi everyone,

I'm from Mesa. Doing great, loving the weather, trying to make LC pumpkin pies today. :D

Happy Thanksgiving!
Dece

Angvamp
Wed, Jan-01-03, 20:49
Hi everyone and Happy New Year! from North Phoenix!

I have noticed that more restaurants in the Phoenix area are catering more to LC lifestyle. I think it is finally catching on.

Take care,
Ang

jraz
Thu, Jan-02-03, 20:23
And I am trying to turn-on Bullhead City & Laughlin to LC... Sure would help if the restaurants all caught on also...

jiskiyan
Tue, Jan-07-03, 16:32
Hi all.

We live in Phoenix. Just started low carbing again after 3 years. The last time I did it was about 6 months before I got pregnant with my daughter, now 2. I did well on it and it wasn't too bad overall. Getting off sugar was a blessing as diabetes runs in our family and, plus, it is just so darn addictive! (for me at least)

I would love to hear from others in the area, share local LC shopping tips, etc. BTW, isn't our weather just amazing right now? Of course, we'll be paying for it in July!

BTW, I recently posted a question on the LC product board re: heavy cream vs. 2% milk. If you are interested, please click on this link. I'd love to hear what others are doing in AZ to find a decent LC heavy cream.

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?s=&postid=734634#post734634

Well, gotta run. Talk to you soon.

Jill
:wave:

jraz
Wed, Jan-22-03, 21:21
Wonder where all the Arizonians are... Oh I know... Out enjoying this wonderful weather....

Things are great here in Bullhead City.... have been trying to talk some of the people I work with to come into this forum... Maybe one day they will surprise me...

Ok.... Calling all Arizona to stop by and say HI.,... Judi :wave:

tanzia77
Tue, Jan-28-03, 16:51
I'm in Arizona, Tempe to be exact. Nice to see I'm not the only one from AZ! :thup: :wave:

Deshukel
Tue, Apr-08-03, 13:50
:wave: Hello Phoenicians! I too am here i Sunny Phoenix enjoying Sunshine and Low Caarbs!

OracleKym
Sun, Jun-08-03, 09:04
Hello Arizonans,

I live in the Phoenix metro area - Chandler to be precise. Glad to know there are others perspiring out here with me while doing the LC thing. :wave: I just started back on the LC diet last year.

Any thoughts on the "Low Carb Mall" from people?

I've found that Hi-Health has started to stock many more LC options in the past few months.

jiskiyan
Sun, Jun-08-03, 09:17
Hi there.

LC Mall is a bit pricey, but other than that they have a really good selection. It saves me from having to order stuff on line a lot. But the best location to go to, IMO, is the Tempe (main) location. The mall stores don't have nearly enough selection. If you are going to do it, make the trip to the Tempe store.

I agree, Hi Health is getting amazing. They have new stuff every time I go in. I try to visit at least every other week to see what yummy thing they have new. Last week I discovered LC tortilla chips that are to die for.

Take care and thanks for posting.

Jill :spin:

Mizree
Sat, Sep-20-03, 15:49
Hi from Phoenix :)
I was wondering what brand of bacon to use. I can't find one that doesn't have some form of sugar in it... Thanks so much!

jiskiyan
Sat, Sep-20-03, 16:02
You know, I have to admit. I don't pay that much attention to the bacon we use and its sugar content. We just don't eat it very often to worry about it. I wish I could be more helpful to you.

One thing I can share with you re: LC in Phoenix if you don't already know it.... Hi Health is really boosting their LC product selection. Everytime I go in there, they've added something new. It's very cool. They are all over town of course, but I go to the one at Town and Country Mall near 20th Street and Camelback. They are one of the larger stores and have an amazing selection.

Good luck and feel to post again if you have any questions or suggestions re: low carbing in Phoenix.

Bye for now.

Mizree
Mon, Sep-22-03, 12:53
Thank you for your help... I still buy bacon even if I know it has the sugars in it, I was just wondering if someone discovered a better brand. I just limit my bacon to once a week so I don't over-do it. http://forum.lowcarber.org/images/smilies/tongue.gif (http://forum.lowcarber.org/misc.php?do=getsmilies#)

I will be sure to check out Hi-Health.
Thanks again!

webgrafix
Sat, Nov-01-03, 20:18
Hey All! I am in Glendale very close to the new Coyotes/Cardinals stadium site.

I am a frequent Hi-Health shopper as they have the best selection I have found. The Wal-Marts are starting to carry some LC stuff, which is nice.

Someone told me there is a LC exclusive store neat Cactus and 51st Avenue... is this true? Are there any others???

Thanks!
Web

jiskiyan
Sat, Nov-01-03, 20:28
Hi there.

There are Low Carb Mall stores all over town. Go to their website to find out details. However, now that HiHealth is carrying a bunch of LC stuff, I go to LCM a lot less. They are more expensive than HH. Sometimes, though, they do carry stuff that HH doesn't have yet. I say "yet" because HH has new stuff every time I go in.... it's amazing! Oh and the LCM stores vary in their selection. The absolute best selection is at their main store in Tempe.

One other thing for Arizonans.... Shamrock Farms now has chocolate milk sweetened with Splenda if you haven't noticed in the grocery store yet. It seems to be everywhere. Of course it still has the milk carbs, but all in all it's pretty low.

Just thought I'd share.

Take care. And please post AZ lowcarb info as you get it and I'll do the same.

P.S. WalMart is getting more LC stuff in their frozen section (at the Super Centers). They have those Chef's Choice frozen dinners, LeCarb icecream, and the BlueBunny Sweet Freedom stuff too. Yum!

Jill in (central) Phoenix

tazanya
Wed, Mar-17-04, 17:35
Basha's carriers a line of frozen dinners specifically for low-carbers (not like lean cuisine who just took the rice or pasta off of one of their dreadful meals) It's called Life Choice by the company who makes healthy choice and they are legitamately low carb with 10-15 net carbs per serving some of the dishes look very much like LC dishes I have made from the atkins book.

Anyway thought I would share. I do not advocating living off of these but its nice to know when you are drop dead tired and cant cook that there is an option.

T

BTW I live in Mesa ... hi all

jiskiyan
Wed, Mar-17-04, 17:37
Fry's has LifeChoice also.

And the Fry's near my house is now carrying Mission brand low carb FLOUR tortillas that taste and look exactly like their non-LC cousins. They are 7 ECC each. They also have a whole wheat variety.

So far I have made LC enchiladas and had a breakfast burrito this morning.

To die for!!!!!!!!

Jill (central Phx)

waterangel
Mon, Apr-05-04, 09:10
:yay: Good morning everyone,

I am from Glendale, moved last August. I lived in Scottsdale for 12 years, but lived in Phoenix prior to that. I was born and raised in Phoenix.
I started LCing since mid-March 2004. I have exercised since Oct/2003 after my physical therapy. I got hooked on exercise from physical therapy. I have done several "diets", check out my profile. I buy vitamins and supplements from Cinema Park Health Food stores, very cheap and excellent quality brands. I also buy a multivitamin and calcium online, excellent quality. I quit "cold turkey" on my meds, two since beginning of March/2004 and four since Nov/2003. I have RA, diabetes and osteoporosis, recently I was diagnosed with high blood pressure and taking medicinal teas for it.
These forums are so awesome! You have access to information from experienced LCers and an excellent medical forum. I commend everyone on their success to your weight loss.

Thanks,
Cindy Q fitday.com[FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=MediumTurquoise]

JeannieM
Fri, Apr-16-04, 10:57
Hey Fellow AZers!!

No one has posted from Tucson yet, so I may as well be the first. Good morning to all on this glorious summery day. :) :)

I visited Low Carb Mall here in Tucson for the first time last week. Liked their selection, but was VERY disappointed at the service (or lack thereof). The one person there was on the phone with her boyfriend and acted VERY offended when I came up to the register with my purchases. Not a positive experience overall. I'm not sure if I'll go back anytime soon. I don't buy a lot of pre-packaged LC items anyway.

I am a MUCH bigger fan of Trader Joe's -- they carry ALL KINDS of LC items. I LOVE THEM!!! And the local WalMart is carrying more and more LC items every week.

Jeannie

waterangel
Fri, Apr-16-04, 11:34
;) Hey there everyone,

I have a new Wal-Mart near my home in Glendale, it is awesome! They have more low-carb products there and cheaper than other grocers and health food stores. I bought Carb Control yogurt by Dannon and they have another by Blue Bunny. They have natural peanut butter, cheaper than low-carb and carb intake isn't much of a difference. They have more variety of low-carb tortillas and breads, cheaper too! I am not eating the breads and tortillas, just thought I mention it.
I went there to look at "baby stuff", because my niece is pregnant and coming back to Phoenix from Amarillo, TX. I raised her since she was 8 yrs old, then she went to college after 2 yrs at SCC. She has her Bachelor's, and is working on her Master's. She will be taking classes online from University of Phoenix. I am proud of her whether she gets a degree or not, and proud of her whether she is single, divorced or married. She has shown me she can make her own mistakes, and not repeat it. That's life! :dazzle:
My mistakes were repeated and caused me to become a plus-size. I learned the hard way to "love myself", I read some books and made those changes and will continue to make those changes. :thup:

Cindy Q :daizy:

JeannieM
Fri, Apr-16-04, 11:45
Hi Waterangel!!

It sounds like you have a wonderful outlook on life. Your niece is lucky to have your love and support right now. :rheart: :rheart:

FYI: I tried both the Dannon and the Blue Bunny low carb yogurts, and I think that the BB is much better. The Dannon tastes kind of chemical-ly -- has a funny aftertaste.

Have a great day!!

Jeannie

aztchr
Tue, Apr-20-04, 22:36
Just picked up on this thread. I'm in Avondale. Anyone else far west?
Jean

waterangel
Fri, Apr-23-04, 04:31
Thanks Jeannie.

I've been filling up my days frequently with exercise, cleaning, organizing, checking out stores for my niece when she comes down here, and staying active at the Adult Center. I'm 47 years old, and I don't want to be like an "old, retired person" which I am retired but not old. I have been to a few other 'Senior' Adult Centers, but the one I have been going to and very close to my home is awesome. They have a fitness center, computers, clubs, classes, travel on short trips(cheap, too), and "young at heart" volunteers and members. If you live in Glendale, it costs $24 a year to join the fitness center. :thup:

Cindy Q

blueflyer
Tue, Apr-27-04, 01:28
Hey, I just found this section of the web site. I'm over here in Peoria. Are there any others from Peoria?

mabdab01
Tue, Jun-29-04, 14:08
Hi everyone!

I live in El Mirage. I just re-started Atkins after the birth of my son (04/07/04). Would like to lose about 40 lbs. I was on Atkins for about three years before I got pregnant, went from about 175 to about 120 in time for my wedding (06/07/02). I know that this WOL really works, but sometimes it can be hard sticking to it. Having support from other people that are going through it can really help. Quick question... It's really hot has anyone found any really good low carb or no carb popsicles or cool treats?

Look forward to hearing from you.

Thanks,

Marti :wave:

DirtPedler
Sun, Aug-15-04, 17:22
Hi to all of Arizona :wave: I'm also calling from Tucson. For anyone else here there is a new chain of food markets, the Sunflower Market is giving TJ's pretty good competition.... Check it out. I'm thankful also that the supermarkets are starting to carry more LC choices too, and not too over-priced. Yippe!!

Stay Cool all.... almost done with the worst part of summer!