PDA

View Full Version : Canadians

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Faith
Thu, Sep-19-02, 12:20
Hi
Just wondering where ur all getting ur low carb products.....iv gone crazy looking for low carb stuff but it seems like low fat is all we've got.....help!!!!

vbrowne
Thu, Sep-19-02, 12:42
Faith - you can get low carb stuff in some health food stores - where are you in Toronto? There's one at Yonge / Davisville, I believe you can get some stuff at GNC at Fairview Mall in Don Mills - I got mine in the Beaches - not a lot to choose from though - bake mixes mostly.

I was going to order off the net, but after exchange, duty and shipping, the price was 3 to 4 times as much.

Vikki

tofi
Thu, Sep-19-02, 13:59
Most GNC's in Toronto have Atkins Bake mix & bars and protein powder. I haven't ever bought the first two because they are so expensive. You can get Pork Rinds at most Bulk Barns in malls. Don Mills has one, but there are lots.

There is a natural foods store at Doncaster Drive, just east of Yonge St. called Ambrosia and they have lots of different products in bulk and packages.

Bulk Barn also has lots of nuts, even ground almonds. Try any big health food stores like Noah's or any bulk place.

But I usually just shop at a grocery store for meat, vegetables, salad and some dairy. Eat REAL food to live in the REAL world. ;)

:wave:

Karen
Thu, Sep-19-02, 14:06
Hmm. I didn't know it was hard to get protein and vegetables in the rest of Canada.;)

But seriously, as BarB said, focus on real foods. Fresh proteins and vegetables are all you need. When you become more comfortable with this WOE, you can expand upon it. In the beginning, it's best to keep it simple.

Karen

Kristine
Thu, Sep-19-02, 16:44
Hi Faith,

Actually, a good place to check out is Herbie's Drug Warehouse, if there's one in your area. They have Atkins bake mix, low carb bars, and protein shakes, plus a lot of other LC-friendly stuff like Splenda, psyllium husk powder, flax, etc at good prices. Of course, as previously stated, go easy on that stuff. Save a few bucks and stick with real food.

HTH.

tracilynn
Thu, Sep-19-02, 20:18
Hi this website has free shipping and has alot of Atkins products at vitaglo.com .well I hope this is useful :D

tofi
Thu, Sep-19-02, 20:25
Vitaglo.com is an American site which means that you'd pay for the goods in US dollars PLUS shipping PLUS possible customs duty to get them into the country. A US dollar is currently about 66 cents Canadian.
$10 US would cost about $16 Canadian. :mad: And customs duty is about 25% on top of that.

:wave:

IslandGirl
Sat, Sep-21-02, 08:20
Try using the LowCarb Yellow Pages (see the icon on your screen on the upper right) to search for products in Canada or in your area!

slimmin
Sat, Sep-21-02, 11:19
I've ordered directly over the web from the Atkins center. The trick there is that you need to order a lot of stuff, since they charge a flat rate of $30 US to ship to Canada. But I found that even after conversion I saved money. For example, Atkins bars cost at least $4 here, and $5 at GNC. If you order a box of 15 from Atkins it's $28 US, or less than $2 US a bar (less than $3 Cdn). And you can order things like the Endulge bars, or the muffin mix (which is yummy!) that you simply can't get here. Another example, bake mix was $9 US ... it's $20 Cdn here. Way cheaper if you factor in the exchange. As for customs duty, the stuff was labelled food supplements, and I wasn't charged any duty (must come under the Free Trade agreement) ... all I had to pay was GST.

So, if you only want a package of muffin mix at $5 US. It's going to cost you about $50 Cdn once you add in the shipping and GST. But, if you want several boxes of muffin mix, and bake mix, and some bars, you may find that the price is not bad. I order about 3 months worth of stuff at a time.

Also, the shake mix is awful, and I don't recommend it.

I have ordered DeLite chocolate bars over the web. There is a Canadian site and they don't charge shipping if you order at least 20 bars (at $1.69 US, or about $2.50 Cdn). These bars are Belgium chocolate and the Dark Chocolate are wonderful. Here's the web site:

http://www.lowcarb.netfirms.com

Deirdre
Wed, Sep-25-02, 03:26
Here's a good Canadian online source, I don't see it listed in the yellow pages section:

http://www.feelgoodnatural.com/

They have good shipping deals depending on what province you live in. Nice little store in Oshawa, Ontario.

I have ordered the Pure Delight chocolate bars from Torontodirect.com they are only about $1.50 CANADIAN and usually some are on sale.

Personally, I never buy the "low carb" products though, just the chocolate bars occasionally. I find most of them aren't worth the money and taste disgusting.

mummypooh
Sun, Sep-29-02, 22:11
Hi!

Just a note that I found these chocolate bars the other day at Alive Health food store.

They were $1.69 Canadian, no GST if you buy 6 or more, plus the first Tuesday of the month is customer appreciation day, so everything is 15% off. Hope that helps!

IslandGirl
Mon, Sep-30-02, 15:28
Hi.

Where in BC is that Alive Health Food Store, please?

mummypooh
Mon, Sep-30-02, 16:19
They are a chain with a number of stores throughout BC (not sure about Canada). I don't know if there is one in in Victoria or not. Once I find the flyer I'll let you know.

lowcarbjo
Mon, Sep-30-02, 19:35
I know that there is an Alive store in Abbotsford as well as in Chilliwack.... hey if Chilliwack has one then there is probably one in most cities hee hee.... this is counry life! :lol:

sweethoney
Wed, Oct-02-02, 23:28
Deirdre, I am so close to you! (You live in the cutest town EVER!)

I go to a really cheap and wonderful health store in Ajax, across from the Durham Centre on Hwy. 2. It has SO much to offer at great prices, and they usually order Atkins products for me!

When you buy things, you accumulate points, it's cute! But I am off tonight and the store name has completely escaped me. Ugh.

Quiet Man
Tue, Dec-10-02, 15:54
It is hard to find any low carb products in London