PDA

View Full Version : Lecithin

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

teddi-4
Tue, Sep-17-02, 13:24
Does anyone have any information about how granulated lecithin helps lower cholesterol? I remember seeing it somewhere but I just can't remember where.
Thanks,

marcus
Tue, Sep-17-02, 14:41
Lecithin is a type of lipid that is needed by every cell. cell membranes are composed of lecithin. The protective sheaths surrounding the brain are composed of lecithin, and the muscles and nerve cells also contain this essential fatty substance. Lecithin consist mostly of the B vitamin choline and contains linoleic acid and inositol. Although it is a lipid, it is partl soluble in water and thus acts as an emulsifying agent. This nutrient helps to prevent arteriosclerosis, protects against cardiovascular disease, improves brain function, and aids in the absorption of thiamine by the liver and vitamin A by the intestines. It is also known to promote energy and is needed to help repair damage to the liver caused by alcohol. Lecithin enables fats, such as cholesterol and others, to be dispersed in water and then removed out of the body. Lecithin would be a wise choice to anyone’s diet. Especially valuable for elderly people. Anyone that is taking niacin for high serum cholesterol and triglyerides should also include lecithin.

committed
Tue, Sep-17-02, 20:54
Wow. The explanation above was so informative. Does lecithin come in particular foods? Or does one need to get it in a supplement?

I'd love to know. Thanks.

marcus
Tue, Sep-17-02, 22:08
Lecithin, found in foods such as eggs, soybeans, peanuts, and liver, is the predominant source of choline in the human diet. The normal intake of lecithin and choline has been estimated to be approximately 6 grams and 800 milligrams per day respectively. Commercial soy lecithin is defatted from soy bean oil to contain dominantly (± 95%) acetone insolubles- the most important of which are the phospholipids phosphatidylcholine, inositol and ethanolamine. Commercial lecithin is about 23% phosphatidylcholine (PC), and PC contains about 14% choline. Due to space limitations, choline sources like choline bitartrate and choline citrate have been used as the predominant source of choline in vitamin supplements. However, the increasing evidence that lecithin is a source of choline that may have benefits beyond simply being a choline source, has provided a reason for supplementing with both choline and lecithin itself.

One of the problems with lecithin supplementation has always been the susceptibility of lecithin to becoming rancid. Even "dry" lecithin granules contain approximately 80% fat, because the actual lecithin molecule is mostly composed of polyunsaturated fatty acids. Thus, when supplementing with lecithin it is essential that the product be fresh and packaged in an oxygen-free container. After opening it should be refrigerated. This will ensure all the benefits of lecithin without the risk of consuming rancid lecithin. While some companies claim to add preservatives to their lecithin, this is not effective, as the preservative must be added to the lecithin prior to processing into granules. Simply mixing a preservative with the dry lecithin granules is not effective.

Based on the research to date, a reasonable amount of choline supplementation is 250 to 1000 milligrams daily. Lecithin supplements can be consumed in the range of 5 to 20 grams daily. Because of the increasingly recognized importance of choline in the diet, both from its choline and lecithin sources, it seems plausible that most of us are not comsuming an optimal level of these choline sources in our diet. By supplementing, however, we can ensure that we do receive ample amounts of these important nutrients.

Seems as though a supplement is best. gl.

teddi-4
Wed, Sep-18-02, 04:26
Thanks Marcus!!!
Great info. We probably all should be taking both lecithin and choline.

dabrahamso
Sun, Sep-22-02, 23:28
Marcus, I've been taking 1200 mg of Lecithin at breakfast each morning. It does not say on the bottle to keep it refrigerated after opening, they are the gel capsules. I've been keeping it on the kitchen table so I remember to take it every morning. Do you think this is ok?

marcus
Mon, Sep-23-02, 15:24
they mean as long as its not in the extreme heat it will be ok. : )