PDA

View Full Version : Things can only get better

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Jase
Mon, Jun-04-01, 17:15
Read the book on Saturday & got all excited, so 1st thing Sunday went and bought a load of food from the atkins induction list.

However I didn't realise that the Chicken Slices in packets, have added starch and stuff so contain carbs, that was my 1st mistake.
And tomorrow is my Birthday and therefor I have to take a load of cakes and stuff in for everyone to eat while I sit there and watch, and I can't even have a Birthday beer later. Bugger!!!

Anyhow hello from the UK from an Atkins dieter of 2 days.

Jase

fern2340
Mon, Jun-04-01, 18:36
Hi Jase!
Welcome aboard and happy b-day a day early!!!!

tamarian
Mon, Jun-04-01, 19:34
Welcome aboard Jase.

Things (cravings) should get easier in a couple of days!

Hope to hear about your daily successes!

Wa'il

doreen T
Mon, Jun-04-01, 19:46
Yes, happy birthday - I guess as I'm typing this in Ontario Canada, it's past midnight in the UK, so the big day has arrived for you already .. :D

Too bad about the carb surprises in the foods you bought .. you sure have to become a label reader!!! Your best bet is fresh or frozen meats, fowl, eggs and fish that you cook yourself, so you can be guaranteed no additives. Watch the cheese ... Atkins book says zero carbs, but that's incorrect ... Cheddars and the like have at least 0.5 carbs per ounce (30 gm).

Don't neglect the green veggies and salads. And don't be afraid of fat, fat is GOOD. Use real dairy butter, mayonnaise and olive oil .. :)

Take care, and look forward to more posts from you!

Doreen

r.mines
Mon, Jun-04-01, 21:42
Don't worry, Jase, it WILL get better!

The first couple of weeks are the hardest as you adjust mentally and physically. Soon your desire for sweets will be a thing of the past. As you become a better label-reader and learn some new recipies, you'll find low-carb food every bit as varied and yummy as the high-carb stuff - probably more so!

Beer might indeed be a problem (fortunately for me, I hate the stuff), but you can have spirits with a diet mixer, if you don't go overboard.

Where are you in the UK? I was in London last week. I lived there for four years in the 90's. Great place!

Keep us posted!
Rachel

Jase
Tue, Jun-05-01, 16:45
Thanks for the birthday congratulations & support everyone, today is day 3 of induction and its gone well, also I have brought myself an exercise bike for my birthday so no excuses now.

Anyway I am off to turn some ketostix purple, now but hope to speak to you all soon.

Jase

Rachel - I am from Stoke-on-Trent or the potteries if you happen to know where that is.

debbiedobson
Fri, Jun-08-01, 08:16
welcome jase! this is a great place for support! we have quite a few members from the uk. your enthusiam is contagious! :D

r.mines
Fri, Jun-08-01, 10:30
Just looked it up in my handy-dandy atlas. Gee, it's quite a bit further north than I'd thought - didn't realize it was so close to Manchester!

I take it pottery is, or was, made locally?

When I was in London a couple of weeks ago, I discovered pork scratchings - they don't make them here in Canada, or at least they're not easily available. YUM!!! I spent an afternoon in a pub with low carb snacks - pork scratchings, pepperoni, and peanuts - and my rum and diet coke (oh, and my good friend John), and I was a happy camper!

Rachel

Originally posted by Jase
Rachel - I am from Stoke-on-Trent or the potteries if you happen to know where that is.

Jase
Fri, Jun-08-01, 16:34
Well the last few days have been a bit tough, had to endure a working lunch with nothing low or no carbs, however I did eat my low carb dinner before hand so managed to resist.

Still waiting for this new burst of energy as promised however can't grumble as I certainly don't feel any worse than when I started the diet.

Rachel in response to you post yes Stoke-on-Trent is the home of Royal Doulton and Wedgwood (where I work) and numerous other famous pottery manufacturers. As for Pork scratching they have been my saviour as I don't really allow enough time in the morning to prepare a low carb breakie, I just grab a pack of pork scratchings on the way to work and they tide me over till lunch.

Think I have started a bit of a low carb craze in the office as people have become intrigued when they know I am on a diet yet have been eating bacon & egg, had to lend the book out and could be a while before I see it back.

Thanks all

Jase

debbiedobson
Fri, Jun-08-01, 16:51
please explain pork scratchings!! i'm intrigued!

Jase
Fri, Jun-08-01, 17:31
Debbie,

Basically they are traditionally sold in pubs, however they are now increasingly available in most shops.

Its literally nothing more than fried pork rind, sold in small packets like crisps. I know this sound horrible however they really must be tried, as they are very tasty and just the job for low carb snacks.

Hope this helps

r.mines
Fri, Jun-08-01, 20:25
Yes; pork scratchings are not the same as the kind of pork rinds available in Canada or the States. They're not puffed up, but are the skins with a thin layer of fat, fried up until chewy/crispy and salted. They're more like the cracklings off a pork roast.

I liked them when I tried them, and would buy them here if they were available. I should poke around in 'ethnic' shopping places, perhaps they're available in some unknown corner of the country.

Jase, I was given a Wedgwood coffee mug some time ago, which is my favourite; it's the 'Blue Creamer' pattern. Maybe it passed through your hands at some point!

Rachel

debbiedobson
Sat, Jun-09-01, 07:10
my dad buys fresh pork bacon. it's not smoked or cured. it has skin attached. dad removes the skin before frying up the bacon. after the bacon's been cooked he fries up the season rinds until crispy. i haven't had it in years. it was a favourite treat when i was a kid. i was shocked at the texture of commercial pork rinds when i first tried them! i think i'm going to have to buy some fresh bacon! thanks for the memory!:)