PDA

View Full Version : Breakfast Sausage (vegetarian optional!)

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Kristine
Tue, Sep-17-02, 09:15
I made some sausage this morning and it was fantastic! I don't remember where the recipe came from, but I tinkered a bit here. I used TVP, but two cups of ground pork or turkey would probably work just as well. The recipe originally called for turkey.

1 cup water
1 cup dry TVP (or 1 lb ground turkey)
1/8 tsp ground savory
1/4 tsp each ground thyme, black pepper, sage
1/2 tsp salt (or to taste)
1 Tbsp Splenda
1 egg

Add salt and spices to water, bring to boil. Add TVP. Remove from heat, stir well, and allow to cool enough to mix with egg. (For turkey: just combine raw turkey with other ingredients. Omit water.) Beat egg with Splenda, add TVP mixture. Form patties - extra may be frozen. Fry up and enjoy!

Nutritional values for the *entire recipe* with TVP:
301 calories
6 grams fat
28 grams of carb: 16 g effective carb + 12 g fiber
38 grams protein

Nutritional values for entire recipe made with 1 lb ground turkey:
643 calories
37 g fat
2 g carb
71 g protein

gungun99
Fri, Apr-11-03, 13:48
Kristine,

Hi, from a fellow Canadian. Toronto, actually. Can you tell me some good resources for low-carb veggie recipes. See, I have to be vegetarian on Tuesdays and Saturdays for religious reasons and I have not been losing weight because of that cause I neer went into Ketosis.

Please help!!! I have lost 5lbs in like 4 weeks. And I exercise regularly. Weights and aerobic.

Thanks.
Kate

Paleoanth
Fri, Apr-11-03, 13:52
This site has some great recipes:

http://www.carb-lite.au.com/index.html

Kristine-what is TVP?

MsJinx
Mon, Apr-28-03, 15:24
Better late than never?
Texturized Vegetable Protein

norminbat7
Fri, Jun-13-03, 20:00
my breakfasts have been rather boring lately thanks for the idea

caverjen
Sat, Aug-09-03, 07:52
I just used ground pork, substituted s-f pancake syrup for the splenda, and added a dash of cayenne. Very yummy! I have tried several sausage recipes with ho-hum results, but these were perfect! I like being able to make sausage without all the additives and high sodium the sausages have at the grocery store, plus I get my pork from a family farmer. Thanks for the great recipe!

Jen

Kristine
Fri, Sep-19-03, 08:21
Hi all! Sorry I never noticed the responses to this recipe. :rolleyes: Maybe I should put "PM me if I don't answer you in the thread!" in my signature. ;)

Anyway... I made these yesterday with one of those combo packs of ground beef and pork. Fantastic!! I should have mentioned that the egg isn't necessary in the carnivore's version.

francisstp
Wed, Apr-26-06, 10:24
Thanks for the recipe. Is there an alternative to the frying? No deep fryer for me..

vickig
Sun, Jul-23-06, 15:50
horay!!!!!!!! i have some tvp can't wait to use it in this recipe.the grease in sausage makes me very sick.mybe this is the solution thanks a million. o tvp is also used in lou of breadcrumbs. if you look at low carb bread crumbs,it's a combo of tvp and soy flour.has a slightly meaty tastste on its own. great for stuffing!

vickig
Sun, Jul-23-06, 15:58
Thanks for the recipe. Is there an alternative to the frying? No deep fryer for me..
PAN fry ;)

francisstp
Thu, Jul-27-06, 10:15
PAN fry ;)

yeah, that's what I figured out. I've been having these sausages every other week. Yummy!