PDA

View Full Version : PCOS and CAD?

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

shemelts
Sat, Sep-14-02, 20:57
I've been trying to follow the Atkins diet, but have found it extremely difficult -- and actually gained five pounds! I was wondering if anyone with PCOS has tried Carbohydrate Addicts. I am so frustrated and depressed. My career as a dancer has had to end because of the PCOS problem, and I am at a loss as to what to do. Help. :confused:

Scarlet
Sun, Sep-15-02, 17:32
Don't panic, you will get better, lose the weight and keep your career and we will try our best to help. Perhaps Atkins isn't right for you; I know several women with PCOS who gained weight on his plan also. Maybe another plan like Schwartzbean or The Insulin Resistance Diet etc. might work for you. Please don't give up. Things will get better. Are you on any meds btw? I can't lose without metformin. Finally, I did CAD and it was a disaster for me, but maybe you are different.

Trust me, you will get better.

(((((((((((((((((HUGS)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

shemelts
Mon, Sep-16-02, 18:47
Thanks for your support Scarlet,

I am not on any meds right now...Maybe I should ask my Dr. about it. All she wanted me to do was take birth control or Provera to regulate my flow, but she said there was nothing she could prescribe for weight loss. Anyway I refused to take the pill since that's what made me gain forty pounds in the first place ( I immediately ballooned up forty pounds when I went on it two years ago, and have yet to lose it.) :( She basically told me at my last appointment that I'll just have to give up my dance career, and "find something new." {She thinks she knows it all because her children studied ballet for a little bit.} But as much as she angered me the scary thing is she's possibly right.

Even at my thinnest, I could never (or would ever want to) be an anorexic waif - which is basically what most companies are after these days. Sadly, I don't know where to go from here. My whole life has been spent in a dance studio, and it's all I ever wanted for myself (not to brag but I'm damn good.) I hate not being able to do what I feel I was born to do, and wish I hadn't sacrificed so much for it-- I never thought I'd have to stop. Life is so hard.
In the meantime, I'm going to try CALP, but restrict my reward meal to no more than 30g of carbs. Hopefully it will help.

tigersue
Tue, Sep-17-02, 11:33
I would say your Doctor hasn't been reading up on the subject of PCOS lately because there are plenty of studies that show that weight loss can be helped by adding in Glucophage.
Tanya
PS weight loss can be slow with this syndrome, keep dancing as you can to maintain your flexibility and your activity, you may want to add in some weight training if you don't already do that to add some good muscle. Dancers usually have a good muscle base, not knowing what you have been doing lately those would be my suggestions right off.

Scarlet
Tue, Sep-17-02, 15:33
Shemelts

Right off the bat your doctor is talking out of her ass! As my Aunt would say "lose the loser". I had a doctor exactly like yours and she was only willing to rx the pill. She had been a very supportive doctor to me for years so it was hard but I left her and went to three other doctors before I finally got proper treatment. You need metformin most likely I would say.

I also tried CAD but found it made me crave and be hungry plus I only lost 7lbs so I stopped it. Perhaps it may work for you though, if not I would highly reccomend the insulin resistance diet. I am also in a similar position to you in that all I've ever wanted is to be a singer. I write my own songs, but how many pop stars do you see that are 168lbs? I fear I will never be able to realise my dream either because of this.

I don' think your career can be over btw because when ( note the word when!) you get back to your original weight you can surely dance in musicals and in videos no? Or are you a ballet dancer?

Your problem seems to be you need metformin ( many women do nothing but gain without it or cannot lose), the right diet and a good doctor. Here is the link to a list of PCOS doctors in New York

http://www.pcosupport.org/membership/professionals.php#NewYork

New York

Fred S. Hurst, MD
Specialty: Reproductive Endocrinology Riverside Women's Health
1 Pine Street
Poughkeepsie, NY 12601
(914) 471-2287
rwhealth~aol.com

Kevin V. Kelly, MD
85 East End Avenue Suite 1-G
New York, NY 10028 USA
(212) 249-2298