PDA

View Full Version : mock potato casserole

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Lhelmick
Thu, Sep-12-02, 12:53
This is amazing, even for those who dont like cauliflower!

16 oz bag of frozen cauliflower
2 Tbs butter
4 oz cream cheese
1 lb bacon, cooked & chopped
8 oz shredded cheese
2 Tbs scallions

micro caulif w/2TB water for 10-15 mins until VERY soft, drain then mash with potato masher. Blend in butter and cream cheese. Add remaining ingredients. Bake 350 for 20 mins until brown and bubbly.

I would take this into a potluck event and feel confident it would get eaten all up, by LCs and otherwise!

Moni-Luv
Thu, Oct-17-02, 09:30
OMG This sounds soooo yummy.............I am gonna make it this weekend!!!! Thanks :O)

Boopers
Sun, Oct-20-02, 15:17
I made this cassorole for dinner on Saturday. It was delicious and very similar to stuffed baked potatoes. I modified it a little I used boiled fresh cauliflour with leeks and pureed it in the food processor. I used Half of the bacon. It puffed up very niclely and had a great consistancy. :p

Azure
Mon, Oct-21-02, 18:34
I've always been skeptical about using cauliflower as a "faux potato". I don't like cauliflower. So please, be honest with me. This dish... does it or doesn't it taste like cauliflower?

Boopers
Tue, Oct-22-02, 00:09
It is a cauliflour dressed up to taste like a potato, and is a delight for cauliflour and potato lovers. :p YES, it taste like a dressed up cauliflour!!!

Azure
Tue, Oct-22-02, 06:17
damn. have I mentioned that I really hate cauliflower? :)

Moni-Luv
Wed, Oct-23-02, 14:13
Originally posted by Azure
damn. have I mentioned that I really hate cauliflower? :)

Damn, I love it, but I like cauliflower and potatoes.............So if you don't like cauliflower than don't make it!!!!http://www.click-smilie.de/sammlung/wuerg/wuerg011.gif

Kristine
Wed, Oct-23-02, 16:35
This sounds really good! Do you mix the shredded cheese, bacon and scallions right in, or kind of sprinkle it on top?

Moni-Luv
Thu, Oct-24-02, 09:44
Originally posted by Kristine
This sounds really good! Do you mix the shredded cheese, bacon and scallions right in, or kind of sprinkle it on top?

Hi Kristine, I mix it in and sprinkle it on top as well, Fantastic!!!

MelaNY
Tue, Oct-29-02, 12:06
I hadn't seen this when I posted mine... :blush:
mine is similar, but I really want to try this one next!! sounds great :)
-Mel

barbie333
Tue, Jan-07-03, 11:53
i had read on a previous post someone giving this a count of above 20grams of carbs for the entire recipe...when I put it all together I got around 10grams, anyone got a quick answer?
I dont have my carb counter here at work...just curious. :q:

Azure
Tue, Jan-07-03, 20:34
If you can post here from work, you have access to a carb calculator :) fitday.com

barbie333
Wed, Jan-08-03, 06:36
hmmm...I suppose what I should have said is am I missing something as my total carb count is not appearing as high as what I had read previously? I was thinking perhaps my conversions were not accurate.

But thanks for pointing that out........

Kemss
Fri, Jan-10-03, 13:44
I made a sort of Shepard's Pie with meat abd beans... used mashed cauliflower w/ butter to top it with (mock mashed potatoes) ABSOLUTELY Wonderful.... Thanks for giving this idea.

starmarie
Tue, Mar-04-03, 00:52
i made this for my family the other night (we had it with smoked pork chops) and they loved it. it was awesome!!! im going to make this often. we used yellow onion in place of scallions and it was great. two thumbs up!

nater25
Thu, Mar-13-03, 13:08
:roll: I have made a dish similar,I use a bit of sour cream in the mix as well!!!!

I Have also just mashed and served as a side dish!

It is good, but better as a twiced baked dish!!

And the more cheese teh better hee hee hee

Happy carbing all! :wave: :daze: :spin:

nater25
Thu, Mar-13-03, 20:41
Just made this
WOW! it was really great!

only complaint is alot of grease sat on the top, I think from the cheese!

anyway WOW!!!

Great mash pototato substitute

Thanks! :wave: :spin: :roll: :roll: :spin: :daze: :wave: :daze: :spin: :roll: :wave: :spin:

AllysonneV
Sat, Mar-15-03, 18:06
Has anyone tried to fry this like a leftover mashed potato pancake?

Tedmom
Tue, Mar-18-03, 09:23
I made only 1/2 of this recipe and added 1.Tbl of the Keto bacon/ chedder ketato mix (which I can't stand on its own). It really gave it a great potato taste and the whole house smelled like potato skins. Very yummy! :)

4TheBetter
Mon, Mar-31-03, 12:32
Yummy! I am new at all this. (3 weeks) but I printed several of the recipes from this site and tried them this weekend. The absolute champion was the twice baked faux potatoes!!!!!! My husband was totally fooled. I just told him it was potatoe casserole. He never knew the difference until his plate was clean and then I came clean. :D This is a man that thinks he doesn't like veggies, sour cream or cream cheese. He was shocked. I am in love. I wish I had found this recipe a long time ago. Potatoes have always been my favorite and now I won't have to learn to live with the craving. Thanks!!!!!

CAKES66
Mon, Mar-31-03, 18:49
I've been reading about this mock potato dish for a while in the forum. Today was the day I finally tried it! I loved it, I was so excited that I did not have the patience to cook it twice like some of the recipes suggest (can you say "food obsession?")
I put in a bit of cream, butter and black pepper. Have you guys heard of grits. That what it reminded me of. ;)