PDA

View Full Version : max effective time after taking chromium?

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Fumih_81
Sat, Sep-07-02, 07:01
i am taking chromium and some other health supplements, the bottle label states that i should take the supplements half an hour before my meal to take full effect.....i know that i am taking roughly 200mg to 400mg of chromium each time

i am wondering how long can 400mg of chromium last in my blood when i take my meal?

usually i allocate an hour to finish up my meal after waiting for 30mins as stated by on the label....but does anyone know how far can i stretch my consumption time?

thanks!

doreen T
Sun, Sep-15-02, 13:40
hi Fumih,

Chromium is best taken on an empty stomach, since food will interfere with its absorption. That's the only reason the directions say to take before a meal :) Chromium does not blast into the bloodstream and make the blood sugar go down when you eat a meal afterwards, although I've seen ads for supplements that imply that's how it works. Depending on the dose, chromium can be taken once a day, or in divided doses. Over the course of the day, the body uses chromium to make "glucose tolerance factor" (GTF) which is found in the cell walls. This GTF appears to help insulin to be more efficient at getting glucose out of the bloodstream and into the cell. Studies suggest chromium helps with insulin resistance. For people with diabetes, it can make anti-diabetic drugs more efficient, so you need to have your doctor to monitor closely, since you may require a reduction in your meds to prevent serious hypoglycemia.

Improving the efficiency of insulin means there are fewer big dips and swings in blood sugar. This is how chromium can help with cravings.

Eating a high-carb, sugary white processed diet can make us deficient in chromium ... not just because we don't eat enough foods that contain it naturally, but because such a diet will deplete what we do have very quickly. Foods rich in natural chromium include brewer's yeast (but not torula or other nutritional yeast), liver, dried beans, meats and dairy, also some seaweeds.

For general maintenance, the dose is 200 µg (micrograms) per day ... To treat deficiency, the dose is 400 µg per day (as a single dose or divided into 2 doses). For blood sugar disorders, such as diabetes or hypoglycemia, the dose is 400 to 1000 µg per day in 2 - 3 divided doses .. Using doses over 500 µg per day should be monitored by a health care professional, and definitely if you have a diagnosed condition .. as noted above, it can affect medications that you may also be taking. Using more than 1,000 µg per day can lead to toxicity, which inludes kidney and liver problems, and heart rhythm disturbance.

hth,

Doreen

Fumih_81
Sat, Sep-21-02, 09:02
i'm wondering, coz the supplement label says it 'binds carbohydrates'....

does chromium also help to 'key out' bad carbs from being absorbed? or are there any other supplements that stops carbs from being absorb.

i am sure that after taking chromium, my heart beat stays normal. previously my heart beats will be faster if i dont take chromium (after a high carb meal).

it was mentioned on the label that it contains phaseolamin (derived from white kidney beans). How can it help in carb elimination?

What abt gymnema?

sgirl
Thu, Oct-10-02, 15:17
Are you talking about Chromium Picolonate? My bottle has 200 mg tablets. Shoudl I be taking more than one per day? The directions say to take after a meal. I'm confused.

Also, I've taken one tablet for two days now and have been having trouble sleeping - weird dreams. I cut back to 1/2 tablet this morning to see if that will help. Is this just a coincidence with something else going on with me, or is this a side effect of taking Chromium Picolonate?

Thanks for your help.

Fumih_81
Fri, Oct-11-02, 05:35
could it be due to stimulants such as caffeine present in the supplement taken?

i am now also taking xenadrine as recommended by GNC...it has caffeine and i took 2 capsules a day to test if i will be affected by the stimulant.