PDA

View Full Version : Glutamine, Glutamic Acids, Glutamine peptides???

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Big Dog
Thu, Sep-05-02, 12:56
What are the differences?

I am trying to select a protein shake and would like to get one that has glutamine in it. I have found all the above listed in various shakes but i am not sure what Glutamic Acids and Glutamine Peptides are.

Can anyone explain this to me or suggest a good protein shake.

thanks

Natrushka
Fri, Sep-06-02, 18:18
Originally posted by Big Dog
What are the differences?

Glutamic Acid is a non essential amino acid. When glutamic acid combines with ammonia, a waste product of metabolic activity, it is converted into glutamine. Glutamic acid itself is synthesized from the amino acids arginine, ornithine and proline.

Glutamine is the most abundant amino acid in the body, however because it can be synthesized it, too, is considered a 'non essential' amino acid (those of us who use it, however, think otherwise :) ) Glutamine is responsible for roughly 35% of the nitrogen that gets into the muscle cell. Glutamine literally drives muscle building nitrogen into the muscle cell where it is synthesized for growth.

Glutamine also plays a role in the release of human growth hormone.

Glutamine peptides are more stable in liquids and make it through the stomach to the blood more readily - where you want them if you're using glutamine for muscle recovery. Glutamine breaks down rather quickly when it's mixed with liquid so the peptide form is more desirable (again if higher concentration in the blood are what you want).

You'll find that soy protein shakes have a higher glutamine content than whey (they also contain more BCAA's).

Cheers,
Nat

Skinny2
Sun, Sep-08-02, 18:31
Natrushka, You are always so full of good information! So, I have a few questions for you:

I started taking L-Glutamine powder a couple of days ago for sugar cravings.

But first, ...a little history... Over the past few months I've had extreme fatigue but read in one thread that B vitamins may help. So I started taking B 100's in time release form a few weeks ago. I also started walking every day, at least 1/2 hour to 45 minutes.

Today, I have a lot of energy. I don't know where it came from and I was wondering if L-Glutamine is the reason. Does it give you energy?

If not, do you think it's a combination of the B's and walking?

I just looked at some of the links you suggest in another thread, eg. supplementwatch and read up on it. Suggested amt for weight loss is 1000mg. My powder states suggested dose at 1/4 tsp or 1.3 grams. Is 1 gr equal to 1000 mg? (Never could get that straight!)

Thx much.... Skinny2

Natrushka
Sun, Sep-08-02, 19:10
Hiyah Skinny2 :)

Glad to hear you're feeling more energetic. I would suspect the B100's as the likely cause (B12 and 5 in particular as they play an important role in energy metabolism). Could it also be that you've adjusted more to your new WOL and are experiencing the benefits of increased energy? I find that simply working out makes me feel more alive and energetic - sort of a catch-22 :)

1000mg = 1g. Glutamine at that dose will help with cravings, at higher doses (5g/ 1 tsp.) it helps with muscle recovery and growth and improved immune function.

Cheers,
Nat

EZasPie
Tue, Sep-17-02, 19:03
Hi Natrushka:

I've seen quite a few of your postings and you seem to know a lot about low carbing, exercising and nutrition and I had a question about supplements.

I have been low carbing for about five weeks. I workout Monday to Friday. Cardio daily and Weights or circuit training Mon,Wed,Fri. I had been experiencing muscle fatigue and so I have purchased L-Glutamine and the instructions are 1 tsp before and after exercise. Should I be taking it even on the days that I don't do weights. Also should I still take it on the weekend when I'm not going to the gym? Do you think it helps with muscle fatigue. I don't eat before I go to the gym as I go at 6 a.m. but I do breakfast when I get back and usually add 10-20 carbs with bacon/sausage and eggs. Hope someone can answer some of my questions. Thanks in advance.

Natrushka
Thu, Oct-17-02, 09:13
Originally posted by EZasPie
I have been low carbing for about five weeks. I workout Monday to Friday. Cardio daily and Weights or circuit training Mon,Wed,Fri. I had been experiencing muscle fatigue and so I have purchased L-Glutamine and the instructions are 1 tsp before and after exercise. Should I be taking it even on the days that I don't do weights. Also should I still take it on the weekend when I'm not going to the gym? Do you think it helps with muscle fatigue.

Hi there Ez :) Sorry your post went unsanswered for so long; I've been away for a while and I guess it slipped through the cracks.

I would recommend that you take the glutamine everyday - it really has so many other benefits aside from its muscle sparing / recovery benefits. You may not have to take as much on the days you don't lift; just a few grams will do the trick.

Have you been taking postassium and a good cal/mag supplement during this time? Potassium is really more involved in muscle fatigue than glutamine. The Eades (protein power) recommend 400mg a day while you are actively losing fat. Cal/Mag will work to help muscle relax and contract and they take care of cramping/charlie horses that often accompany LCing.

The fatigue could also be a function of insufficient carbs. You may need a few more on your lifting days. Finally, how long have you been working out without a break? If it's been longer than 3 months you should give your body a break. A week off to rest up and recover will put you back in form for another 3 or 4 months.

HTH
Nat

EZasPie
Thu, Oct-17-02, 17:35
Hi Natrushka:

Thanks for the info on supplements. I do take a calcium/Magnesium with vit D supplement twice a day 700 mg cal/350 mag, B Complex 200 mg, Omega 3, 6,9 and a multivitamin that includes 10 mg of Potasium, along with the L-Glutamine so I think I am on the right track. I have increased my carbs to 40-50 a day. I am working out every other day right now and haven't experienced fatigue so I am feeling good.

I haven't really lost any weight for the past month but I haven't gained and I have heard that the last 10 lbs can take a while and I'm in no hurry. It could be muscle weight because I am wearing my goal size in clothes and that's okay with me. I've never really been one to use a scale. I don't even own one. I just check from time to time at the gym.

Thanks again.

Natrushka
Thu, Oct-17-02, 19:28
Originally posted by EZasPie
a multivitamin that includes 10 mg of Potasium

That's a lot lower than the 400mg recommended. You are nearing maintenance (wtg!) and your need will diminish as you do, but you are also working out and losing electrolytes along with the water you're sweating out. You replace the water but not the potassium... you might benefit from some. Just a thought.

Nice job on the goal clothing, that must feel fantastic!
Nat

Luxsit
Sat, Oct-19-02, 05:16
Hey Nat,

I've been taking 5g of L-Glutamine, 5g Creatine, two caps of BCAA, mixed in Propel(low carb Gatorade product) right after workouts and another 5g of L-Glutamine right before bedtime on workout days. I also taking Daily - Dieters Multi(Absolute Nutrition), and Mag/Cal supplement, and a Structured EFA w/CLA(EAS).

Ok, sounds like you recommend taking L-Glutamine daily. How much and does time of day matter for your experience?

I had a pretty hard upper body workout on Thursday. It's now Saturday morning and I still am a bit sore from Thursdays workout. Wondering if I need to bump up Potassium or if daily L-Glutamine would help?

Regards,
Lux :wave:

Natrushka
Sat, Oct-19-02, 06:47
Originally posted by Luxsit
Ok, sounds like you recommend taking L-Glutamine daily. How much and does time of day matter for your experience?

Hey there Lux :) Long time no chat!

I pulled up this fantastic article on the many benefits of glutamine that you might want to read over: Glutamine: The Essential "Non-Essential" Amino Acid (http://www.lef.org/magazine/mag99/sep99-report3.html). The minimum daily dosage recommended is between 2-5g a day to help with immune function, cell repair and over all good health. I prefer to take mine at bed time when I pop my last cal/mag and zinc tablet for the day. I've found having a set time / routine helps me remember. I've chosen to take my glutamine at this time because of it's role in the synthesis of HGH, which also happens during sleep.

How much potassium are you taking? Most sports drinks and protein powers have a generous supply - you might want to check your labels. There's also a function in fitday under the reports tab where you can check to see if you're meeting your nutritional guidelines - potassium is listed there. I regularly use a salt substitute during the day which I have entered as a custom food - 4 or 5 dashes of this on my foods gives me in excess of 3,500mg of potassium daily on top of that which is in my foods.

HTH, Toots
Nat

Big Dog
Sat, Oct-19-02, 19:41
Nat, I read the article that you posted the link for. One paragraph in particular really caught my attention

And there is still more. Due to its dependence on sodium transport, glutamine is one of the amino acids that control the volume of water in the cells, and the osmotic pressure (osmoregulation) in various tissues. Glutamine also plays a vital part in the control of blood sugar. It helps prevent hypoglycemia , since it is easily converted to glucose when blood sugar is low. In addition, glutamine regulates the expression of certain genes, including those that govern certain protective enzymes, and helps regulate the biosynthesis of DNA and RNA. Recently it has been discovered that glutamine is important for the cardiovascular system as well.

Do you think this means that excess glutamine will prevent ketosis? I am getting a lot of glutamine through my protein powder and glutamine powder. i wonder if i should cut back some.

Natrushka
Sat, Oct-19-02, 21:09
Originally posted by Big Dog
Do you think this means that excess glutamine will prevent ketosis?

Do I think it might pose a problem? NO. Do some others? Yes.

Here's why I think it's not something to worry about:

L-Glutamine, Ketosis and Gluconeogenesis (http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?s=&postid=403690#post403690)

HTH
Nat