PDA

View Full Version : Holsum Bread, Thunderbay, ON

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

tamarian
Wed, May-30-01, 18:24
I just received a sample of a new low-carb bread, made in Thunderbay, Ontario. Made by Shaw Bakery, and probably available in several supermarkets in Central Canada (please confirm if you find it locally).

Review:
----------

Label:

Holsum Light, Wheat

1 Slice:
40 Calories
2.1g protein
0.4g fat
5.1g carbs
2.5g fiber

Whole wheat flour, water, enriched white flour, pea fiber, sugar, canola oil, yeast, salt, soya flour, wheat gluten, sodium steroyl-2-lactylate, mono glycerides, calcium propionate, caramel colour, yeast nutrients (calcium solphate, ammonium chloride, calcium perxide).

Texture: Feels very light and spongy. I looks and feels like the usual bread.

Taste: Not bad at all. I still prefer my recipe, but will gladly use this one when I'm in a hurry (always). But the focus of this bread is NOT low-carbers. It's targeted to low-calorie, low-fat dieters. This really impacts the taste. Nevertheless, it IS low-carb, and if they were generous with the Oil and forgot about the calories, it could have been a much better tasting loaf of bread!

Wa'il

doreen T
Wed, May-30-01, 18:29
Hmm, sounds a lot like Hollywood bread. Anybody remember that? A staple from Weight Watchers days (since 2 slices counted as one serving) .. you're right about taste and texture though. I prefer a whole grain substantial loaf, like yours or a whole grain black forest type sourdough.

I'll keep my eyes peeled for it in southeastern Ontario area.

Doreen

Deirdre
Wed, May-30-01, 20:40
Thanks for the info Wa'il. I'll watch for it, althought I don't recall seeing that brand anywhere. I do buy the Hollywood Lite bread occasionally, I think its numbers are similar, but the slices are pretty small. How big are the slices of the Holsum bread? Too bad they didn't eliminate the white flour and sugar!

tamarian
Wed, May-30-01, 20:46
Actually they're not that small as slices, just your normal average slice. I always read in bread recipes that sugar gets eaten by the yeast. How that works, I would like to know. :)

Wa'il

doreen T
Wed, May-30-01, 21:05
Yeast is a single-celled living creature. It consumes sugar (carbohydrate) and gives off carbon dioxide as the by-product. It's the carbon dioxide gas bubbles that work within the structure of the bread dough to make it rise.

Only thing with this recipe, since Canadian law states ingredients must be listed in order of quantity, and I'm assuming Wa'il that you listed exactly as you read from the label .... it seems there is more sugar than oil, gluten or soy flour .. :( ... 1 tsp (4 gm) sugar is all that is needed to feed the yeast for one loaf of bread. This sounds like extra sugar has been added for "flavour" too, probably to kill the soy taste.

Plus, their math is way out. If you add up all the calories, still doesn't come out to 40. Something is hidden. The carb count is at LEAST 5.1, any fiber is over and above that amount, not subtracted from it.

protein - 2.1 x 4 = 8.4
fat - 0.4 x 9 = 3.6
carb - 5.1 x 4 = 20.4

adds up to 32.4 calories, so 7.6 calories unaccounted for. ??? It has to be carbohydrate, since protein and fat are actual measurable quantities, only carbohydrate is calculated.

Doreen

tamarian
Wed, May-30-01, 21:12
Doreen,

I can always count on you as the carb detective! :)

Yes, I wrote the ingredients exactly as listed, so the sugar was in the correct order by weight. It didn't taste sweet though, more salty than sweet.

Wa'il

cathyc
Tue, Jun-26-01, 23:08
Hello all,
Although presently I have choosen to not eat the holsom bread, i do have a friend that has lost about 40lb to goal and eats this bread each day without any side-effects. She has remarked often that she does not get the tireness or headaches that she does get from regular bread.
P.S. i loved the flavour, It is a much thinner than regular bread but covered with butter yummy!
I do miss it :(

tamarian
Tue, Jun-26-01, 23:43
Cathy,

Welcome aboard Glad you joined us. :)

Wa'il

Karen B
Tue, Jul-03-01, 13:21
Hi All. I live in thunder Bay and have tried this bread. I really like it personally but do not eat it yet regularly. I will say that I have noted when I did have some that (and this would be of interest mainly to diabetics) it does not put your sugars up as much as regular breads do which leads me to believe that the sugar content is less. It is a smaller slice but not as skinny as the Hollywood bread. It actually makes quite a nice sandwich. I find it a good alternative when I just "have" to have a sandwich or a slice of toast.

Karen B.