PDA

View Full Version : just started no carbing and have a question about cheese

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

engineergirl
Sun, Mar-04-01, 18:27
Hi :)

I had been low carbing since the beginning of the New Year, and have very recently (ie. 2 days ago) cut out carbs altogether. i'm following the atkin's diet, and trying to keep my total daily carbs below 20 grams. My one question is regarding lactose - i have heard controversial opinions regarding lactose in dairy products bringing about an insulin response, since it is a sugar. Any thoughts? I have read through the carb counters and figured out which dairy products to stay away from (ie. milk and yoghurt), but I'm wondering how many of you eat cheese (a lot)?

It's so nice to have a Canadian site!

tamarian
Sun, Mar-04-01, 19:02
Hi engineergirl,

I think the answer may differ for each person as our bodies differ and so do our bodies' reactions. I know some lowcarbers who do better avoiding dairy. I personally noticed no difference, and I eat cheese on almost daily basis

Hope this helps.

Wa'il

IslandGirl
Thu, Mar-08-01, 12:56
Hiya, E.G.!

Speaking from experience, if it's got carbs (and lactose does), avoid it or count it, as required. Fluid milk has lots and can blow you out (count-wise) for the day, as well as generate an insulin response because you get so many at one "go".

Of note, montery jack and medium cheddar are very low (about 0.5g per ounce or so); yogurt is generally miscalculated and natural plain yogurt is actually about 4g/Cup. For details, see http://www.go-diet.com

I eat a fair amount of yogurt, cheeses, cream ... but watch the carb counts. As long as things are going well, don't worry about dairy.

Hope this helps....

tomsej
Wed, Apr-28-04, 17:15
My one question is regarding lactose - i have heard controversial opinions regarding lactose in dairy products bringing about an insulin response, since it is a sugar. Any thoughts? I have read through the carb counters and figured out which dairy products to stay away from (ie. milk and yoghurt), but I'm wondering how many of you eat cheese (a lot)?

I eat cheese every day; however I am lactose intolerant. I don't eat more than an ounce or so per meal.

I get severely bloated with milk. Strangely, don't get same reaction with 18% cream and whipping cream. Could be the smaller quantities.

I use dairy a lot and daily. I would not be able to do the diet without dairy.

Tom.