PDA

View Full Version : Herbal supments Chromum Picolinate &

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Josiemk
Mon, Aug-19-02, 10:14
Hi I just recently started eating low carbs & high protein. I have a few questions. I have a supplement call sugar block it has Gymnema Sylvestre listed as as the main ingredient. I was wondering if it was worth taking it seems to take away my sugar craving.
And what about Chromium Picolinate I heard that it is suppose to take away sugar cravings also plus it's suppose to turn fat into muscle.
And should I be taking an amino acid supplement also to build muscle.
I want to lose weight not gain. I want to get down to a size 5 , right now I wear a size 7 .

Thanks
Josie

Natrushka
Tue, Aug-20-02, 07:42
Josie, Gymnema Sylvestre is a supplement I'm not overly familary with - however Supplementwatch.com has a review of it (http://www.supplementwatch.com/supatoz/supplement.asp?supplementId=163) :

Gymnema is a plant used medicinally in India and Southeast Asia for treatment of “sweet urine” or what we refer to in the West as diabetes or hyperglycemia. In ancient Indian texts, gymnema is referred to as gurmar, which means “sugar killer” in Sanskrit. Gymnema leaves, whether extracted or infused into a tea, suppress glucose absorption and reduce the sensation of sweetness in foods – effects which may deliver important health benefits for individuals who want to reduce blood sugar levels or body weight. Claims Reduces blood sugar levels
Lowers blood cholesterol levels
Balances insulin levels
Promotes weight loss
Most human studies have been conducted in diabetic patients and have used 400mg of gymnema extract per day in conjunction with conventional oral anti-diabetic medications to lower blood glucose and reduce insulin requirements. In non-diabetics, smaller doses may be effective in helping to control blood sugar and insulin fluctuations – and the associated swings in appetite and food cravings. Because it acts gradually, gymnema extract should be consumed regularly with meals for several days/weeks and can be taken for months/years with no significant side effects

Chrominum is one of the supplements Dr. Atkins recommends to help deal with sugar cravings. It is supposed to help lower blood sugar levels, increase insulin sensitivity and help control appetite. It will not turn fat into muscle however - nothing short of magic can do that :) The only way to increase lean body mass and lose body fat is to lift weights - weights heavy enough to stimulate muscle growth. You'll find copious quantities of information on this subject in the Exercise Forums.

HTH
Nat

Josiemk
Tue, Aug-20-02, 08:11
Thanks, I guess I should keep taking them. I can't find much info on Gymnema Slyvestre. It seems to be new here but it is helping, because I could live off chocolate, I know it is what put the pounds on me. Well that & pasta.

Josie