PDA

View Full Version : My IBS and yeast responses to high and low carbs

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

kaelen
Mon, Aug-12-02, 11:40
Hi,

I have a long relationship with yeast problems. Vaginal (like two a month at one point--I was part of the study group for ketoconizol back in the mid-80s). I've also had yeast infections in the corners of my mouth (during high stress, low immunity times) on my head and face (dandruff that only nizoral shampoo helps), and even in my ears in the form of itchy dry pustules. I can't recall back in my 20s (I'm 39) what my yeast antibody counts were, but I know that several times my intestines have been found to have extreme yeast overgrowth based on stool samples.

For my whole life I have also had issues with intestinal cramping, switching between the runs and constipation (even had to have surgury due to a tear in my colon resulting from extreme constipation), and lots of nausea and reflux. All of this Western Medicine is calling IBS.

About a six weeks ago, I started low carbing. The first two days my reflux and cramping got worse, and then disappeared completely. I had even gone off of the IBS medication. Then, in the last two weeks, my mother went into the hospital, and I reverted to a more convenient and traditionally emotionally comforting high carb diet. I found myself exhausted, extremely emotional (I had noticed this after slips, too--that I would be highly emotional and depressed the day after a sugar binge), and most notably, constantly nauseated. I also started to get a vaginal yeast infection despite daily acidophilous dosing, as well as acne.

Now I have been back to low carbing for four days again. And again, the first two days I felt crampy and had increased reflux (I take Previcid every day, btw, for years), but now my stomach has completely settled down. No cramps, no nausea, the reflux is back under control, and the stool is returning to normal, which is extremely ABnormal for me. My mood is also stabilizing again. My complexion is clearing. I'm sure emotional stress levels play a part, but really, my stress levels have not changed much through all of this (you know, if it's not one thing, it's another).

I find this completely amazing. How about you? Any similar experiences?

kaelen

AmberAA1
Mon, Sep-09-02, 08:55
I have noticed since low carbing I have gotten constipated alot, which my doc just told me could have been from the low carbing. Now for the first time in my life I have a yeast infection. She said from all the toxins and basically dirt in my system, it could have caused the infection. I don't know how you put up with this for 2 months. It has been two days and I am about to flipout. I don't have any of the other symtoms you have and hopefully I won't have to suffer the way you did. Do you still have the infections?

kaelen
Mon, Sep-09-02, 10:39
Hi Amber AA1,

Actually, I didn't have the yeast infection for two months solid, I had it two times each month--with my period and at ovulation.

My first was at age 16. They were chronic for many many years. The "pill" makes me much more susceptible, and for that reason, I no longer take it.

Yes, I still get them, but I find that a round with oral ketoconizol (sp?)helps keep them at bay for years at a time. But that is an extreme measure because it can be hard on the liver.

Yeast infections can be activated, if you are prone, by many things. Anything that suppresses your immune system (stress, steroids, other illnesses) can increase the likelyhood of them. Taking anti-biotics, the birth control pill, unusual hormonal fluxuations (which can be brought on by a radical change in diet, as well as stress), pregnancy, and eating either a diet high in carbs, or a lot of foods that tend to have high mold content either in or on them--such as cheese, mushrooms, breads, bacon. Preventing air circulation in the area (like wearing non-cotton underwear) or staying very moist (like wearing a damp bathing suit for many hours) can increase the likelihood of infections. Inadvertantly spreading the yeast (as well as other infectious bacteria like e. coli.) from anus to vagina is also common, thus the recommendation to always "wipe front to back." Some sexual practices can obviously do the same thing. (Sorry if that is too graphic. I don't know your age.)

It could have been a combination of several of these things that caused the infection.

In truth, yeast is a normal thing to have in your digestive tract. It's part of the natural "flora" and "fauna" that happily coexist in there, as well as in the vagina. It becomes an "infection" when the balance is disrupted and the yeast grows unchecked. Yeast lives on carbs, so eating high carbs can do it. There are friendly bacteria that grow there (acidophilus is the best known) that help maintain balance, so when you take antibiotics, good bacteria like acidophilus as well as the bad bacteria that you are taking the antibiotics for are wiped out and an imbalance is created. Likewise, if you eat large amounts of high mold-based and yeast containing foods, you are changing the balance.

Consider what you might be doing to create an imbalance. You can also buy acidophilus suppliments to help maintain this balance. I do this. I especially make a point of doing this during those hormonal fluctuation times, when I am sick or taking antibiotics, or when I am stressed out, or if I just "HAVE" to give in to a sugar craving.

The most potent type are the refridgerated capsules that also contain other friendly bacteria, and are usually only available in healthfood stores. Yogurt contains a lot of acidophilus, but it has to be sweetner free natural plain yogurt, and alone, that doesn't taste very good to me.

A lot of cheese can also cause constipation. I avoid this by taking sugar free Citrucel every morning. Some doctors recommend taking it at night. This has made all the difference for me as far as the constipation goes. Don't forget to eat plenty of those salad vegitables, a major source of natural fiber.

I honestly don't know if the candida is part of the cause of IBS. Most traditional doctors dismiss this idea, while more wholistic doctors insist on it.

All I know is that as long as I take my acidophilus, eat lots of veggies, take my Citrucel, and avoid carbs, my digestive and yeast problems settle down to an almost normal state.

I hope this has been helpful!

Sincerely,

kaelen

AmberAA1
Mon, Sep-09-02, 11:05
Thanks for all the info. I am 41 and have never experienced this problem before. I keep dry and eat alot of salad. The only cheese I eat alot of is feta. (ie. I am greek and have been doing that all my life) I'll try the pills you recommended. Is PMS an onset of this? I have had bacon maybe twice in my 2 weeks of induction. Oh sorry, congrats on your loss of 26 pounds. Someone also recommended grape seed extract. Have you ever heard of this approach? Being 41 I feel pretty stupid about all of this, but going through this new WOL, I have never eaten this much red meat before. I always did low fat and ate mostly chicken. I would have thought this would have all started the first week. Does it take approx. 2 weeks for this to start? I really don't know the difference if any between candidia and yeast infection. I guess i'll have to read more. I have been reading since this morning and really don't know much more than what you have told me. I want to Thank you for your input. Have a great day.

Amber :daze:

AmberAA1
Mon, Sep-09-02, 11:07
Thanks for all the info. I am 41 and have never experienced this problem before. I keep dry and eat alot of salad. The only cheese I eat alot of is feta. (ie. I am greek and have been doing that all my life) I'll try the pills you recommended. Is PMS an onset of this? I have had bacon maybe twice in my 2 weeks of induction. Oh sorry, congrats on your loss of 26 pounds. Someone also recommended grape seed extract. Have you ever heard of this approach? Being 41 I feel pretty stupid about all of this, but going through this new WOL, I have never eaten this much red meat before. I always did low fat and ate mostly chicken. I would have thought this would have all started the first week. Does it take approx. 2 weeks for this to start? I really don't know the difference if any between candidia and yeast infection. I guess i'll have to read more. I have been reading since this morning and really don't know much more than what you have told me. I want to Thank you for your input. Have a great day.

Amber

kaelen
Mon, Sep-09-02, 12:30
Hi again,

Thanks for the congrats! I'm trying to get down to my first goal of 250 by 9/21, my wedding day. I am very pleased with the changes happening in my body. But I have so much wedding stuff yet to do!

To quickly answer one of your questions, Candida Albicans *is* the strain of yeast that causes yeast infections and that is usually found in the digestive tract. It's the same thing. I used the terms interchangeably without even realizing it. Sorry for the confusion!

I am unfamiliar with grapeseed extract.

Don't feel stupid about not knowing about yeast infections until now. Consider yourself very fortunate! I wish I could make such a statement.

In terms of how long it takes for a yeast infection to go from healthy balance to itchy misery, I don't know. It seems to me, recalling the "anti-candida" diets I used to be on, red meat was also avoided, though I can't recall why. Yeasts and molds exposure show up in a lot of unexpected places.

Being that PMS is a result of hormonal changes, I would imagine that those same hormonal changes could stimulate yeast growth, so yes, I guess you could say there is a connection. Some "yeast" experts will claim that the hormonal changes stimulate the yeast which actually causes PMS. I take that sort of "be all, end all" answer with a grain of salt though. I believe it is the increased estrogen that stimulates the yeast, but I am not certain of that. I would imagine that beginning perimenopause (the 10 years prior to actual menopause) could cause enough hormonal havoc to affect yeast growth as well.

I did a quick search and found this Web site which looks like it is a fairly accurate description of yeast related problems, including the recommended diet. You will find it does not conflict with low-carbing at all. I don't have time to further investigate, but you might find an answer there.

http://www.curezone.com/diseases/candida/

Good luck, and you are very welcome!

kaelen

AmberAA1
Mon, Sep-09-02, 12:40
You go girl. You seem to have it all pretty togeather there. I really must Thank You again on all of the information you have given me. This is very nice of you to help me like this. It's like school all over again. I was awaiting a second call from my doctor, but won't wait around now. Again good luck on your wedding, I was a wedding co-ordinator at a country club for 3 years. Remember don't sweat the small stuff. Have a great day, you have brightened mine.

Amber :wave:

kaelen
Mon, Sep-09-02, 12:56
I took a closer look at the last URL I posted, and while it is interesting, it really goes into many more subjucts and off-shoots than you are probably ready to tackle. The simple description of candidiasis (yeast overgrowth) looked accurate, and to the point, though. Here is a simpler more to the point list of foods allowed and not allowed in an anti-candida diet.

BTW, something I forgot about is that changing the PH levels in your body can also affect candida growth. Changing your diet can affect PH levels.

Another thing is that the more oxygen circulating through you, the better. Candida prefers an anaerobic environment to thrive. More aerobic exercise can be helpful.

http://www.infosky.net/~alexmi/candida.htm#6.1

kaelen

Tikerberi
Tue, Dec-10-02, 12:22
Originally posted by kaelen
I've also had yeast infections in the corners of my mouth (during high stress, low immunity times).

I was just reading over some of the yeast posts, and ran across this. I have wondered in the past if I have systemic candida due to bloating and gass I get from apples, other fruits, and some foods. This is the first I've run across something about corners of the mouth.

Over the last year or so the corners of my mouth have become red and raw feeling, drying and cracking at times too. I asked my doctor about it, and all he said was "stress" and let it go at that. My mother used to complain of this too, and I used to think that perhaps it had to do with eating acidic foods or something.

I'm very new to the idea of systemic yeast infections. How did you come to understand that this was yeast related? Recently I don't seem to have it as much, but I'm worried about it flaring up again. Do you still get it? What did you do to make it stop...was LC'ing enough?

AJ

nsmith4366
Tue, Dec-10-02, 13:19
Was your yeast infection of the mouth including "cracking at the corners of the mouth" read on:

http://www.ehendrick.org/healthy/00070430.html

kaelen
Wed, Dec-11-02, 00:00
Hi,

I have had recurrences of this problem for about 10 years. I thought it was stress related, too, and always succeeded in getting control of it by taking extra B vitamins and getting rest. However, in recent years, that no longer worked. B2 deficiency can cause this, but I knew I was not lacking in B vitamins because of the supplements I have taken for years. Further internet investigation finally turned up yeast as a cause. Given that I have a Lonnnnnnng history with yeast problems, this fit my personal profile.

My primary physician said to put neosporin on it because I was probably getting secondary infection and that's why it was not going away. This did seem to help, but did not cure it. I was getting concerned about scarring. Finally, I went to my dermatologist and asked about it, giving my history with yeast problems, and he gave me a prescription for a cream called Spectazole (econazole nitrate 1%) Cream.

This has done the trick! Within a couple of days it was completely gone, and it had been the most severe I had ever experienced. I have not had any more recurrences for months, and am no longer worried about it now that I have this weapon.

Your doctor was right in that it probably was brought on by stress. Stress lowers the immune system so you cannot fight off things like yeast infections, and it also depletes the body of B vitamins, so either form of "chelitus" (I think that's the spelling) could bring it on. Once there are cracks in the skin, other bacteria can take advantage of the opportunity to create secondary infection, so it is a good idea to deal with it as fast as possible. Use Neosporin, take extra vitamins and get extra rest to help boost your immune system until you can get a doctor to prescribe the cream.

Good luck! Feel free to email me privately if you please. rensong~directvinternet.com

kaelen

pianokat73
Wed, Feb-05-03, 13:56
hey gus I ran across this post today. I have a yeast infection, not really sure if it is happenstance or diet related. I usualy only get them when I am on antibiotics and then they are hard to get rid of. but I have one now :eek:

wondering if it could be related, I started 10 days ago. I hope it is just an adjusting stage to this diet because it will be miserable to have these all the time...

kat

penk
Mon, Feb-24-03, 11:27
I've rarely had a yeast infection, but seem to have one now. :( I am in my 5-6th wk of induction on Atkins...

Naive question perhaps: do I need to see the dr, or can you recommend one of the otc remedies?

thanks!
Penny

m1whowaits
Sun, Mar-02-03, 18:57
There is a good Candida Yeast & IBS thread in this forum. You can have an overgrowth and never hav a vaginal infection. Or you can have a vaginal infection and other problems that you don't even realize are the yeasties, or you can have an asymptomatic overgrowth. When you start LC you cut off the yeasties food supply and they start to die off. The toxins being released cause the symptoms you get, so actually it's not an overgrowth causing the vaginal infection at the start of LC WOL, it's the yeasties dying, which is a good thing. You need to start taking a probiotic to rebuild the good bacteria that you didn't know were missing and take an antifungal to finish off the bad guys. Here's a sit with very good info: http://candidapage.com Good luck!