PDA

View Full Version : Hunger and calorie questions

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Jeanner
Wed, Aug-07-02, 09:05
Okay here's my meals yesterday:

B:Mock danish w/1 tbsp coconut oil
L:Large Salad with homemade olive oil dressing & mozzarella cubes
S:2 HDB Eggs w/mayo
D:Pork Chops w/ asparagus
S: slice of roast beef w/ cheese in a roll-1/3 c whipped cream with berries

How can I still possibly be hungry??! I don't understand. I am eating more than 12X my weight in calories a day and am still hungry! I don't get it. According to fitday I am taking in about 2000-2200 per day.

My ratios look like this:

Total: 2078
Fat: 186 1677 81%
Sat: 73 657 32%
Poly: 42 374 18%
Mono: 58 525 25%
Carbs: 35 83 4%
Fiber: 15 0 0%
Protein: 77 306 15%
Alcohol: 0 0 0%

Natrushka
Fri, Aug-09-02, 15:36
Jeanner, how are you feeling now? It can take a few days for the appetite lowering effects of this WOE to kick in.

Keep in mind, though, that 12x body weight is a ball park figure - if you're particularly active and/or have a higher metabolism that figure can be higher. 12x is to keep your body from thinking "diet" or "starvation". If you find that the numbers are still not working try playing with the ratios - you may need more protein. Also, double check your fitday numbers - sometimes the default for things like salad dressing or butter are 1 cup, those figures don't look like 2100 calories, but then again I don't know how big everything was :rolleyes:

Nat

Jeanner
Sat, Aug-10-02, 05:38
Thanks for the help and quick answers. Yep I am really careful at fitday and definitely hitting 2-2200 calories a day. I am eating more fat/protein in order to get satiated to no avail, therefor when I am hungry I eat!

This last 2 weeks I have limited my self to fast-paced walking with my beagle for 45-60 minutes a day. I did this to allow my metabolism time to adjust. I had no clue that all my working out awhile back was actually making things worse due to the hypothyroid. I stopped and gave my body time to heal.On Monday I am beginning another lifting program and I feel ready.

Interestingly enough my husband commented last night that my upper body and my legs looked leaner. Sure enough I took out the tape measure and I shrunk a bit! :D

Natrushka
Sat, Aug-10-02, 19:28
Originally posted by Jeanner
. I am eating more fat/protein in order to get satiated to no avail, therefor when I am hungry I eat!

Jeanner, check out Niky Brady's journal for the last two months - she was in the same boat. Hungry, Hungry, Hungry. She increased calories to 2500 and felt better. She's also losing more fat now (she's 159 lbs currently).

Nat

Jeanner
Sun, Aug-11-02, 12:19
I read somewhere that for my metabolism and activity level I should multiply my weight X 17, and then subtract 250 or more calories for fat loss. That would take me to right around what I am eating. I am just thinking that holy moly once I start lifting again I'll be a crazed eating machine. Better stock up on eggs, mayo, and tuna. :roll:

Natrushka
Sun, Aug-11-02, 13:33
Jeanner, there is a formula similar to what you just described. Caloric range is 15-18 for women, about 20 for men, times body weight for Maintenance level calories (assuming a 'normal' metabolism). Subtracting 250 - 500 calories a day is the recommended number for safe and prolonged fat loss.

Lifting does make you hungrier, doesn't it? Sometimes I find it a chore just keeping up with what I need to eat just to lose fat!

Nat

Jeanner
Mon, Aug-12-02, 04:26
I am telling ya, before I was like this and I was so ill. Every week that goes by and my hpyo is more in control I notice more and more changes. Where on hard boiled egg would fill the bill as a snack....no more! My co-workers look at my lunch bag and ????? :eek:

CNDYPRC
Tue, Sep-10-02, 08:42
I just figured out that my calories for today are going to be about 1700...Am I eating too much? I have not been counting calories, just carbs, and not losing hardly anything. I have lost 3 lbs, gained three lbs, lost 2 lbs, gained 2 lbs, etc. This a.m. I'm down 2. With my luck, I'll be up 2 or more! tomorrow! What gives??