PDA

View Full Version : ephedrine confession

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

squidgy
Tue, Aug-06-02, 20:10
Ummm - I suppose I'd better admit it.

I've been taking ephedrine every day for over a week now. The amount I'm having to take to get the same effect is gradually getting bigger too.

In the thread at http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?threadid=53045 I entertained the idea that I'm depressed. My sister really really believes in SSRI's like Prozac and Paxil but my doctor has never prescribed them for me. But just recently I've read this from http://www.hsu.edu/faculty/langlet/lectures/Biological_Foundations/trans/neurotransmitters.htm ....

SEROTONIN produces sleep by inhibiting the systems involved in keeping the individual awake. The longer you stay awake, the more your serotonin levels build up. Did you ever wake up wrong, with your head groggy and still full of sleep? Serotonin is doing that to you.
Deficiency: Serotonin deficiency may very well play a role in a wider variety of mental illnesses than any other single variable. Without enough serotonin to calm the brain, individuals may suffer many different ailments, particularly those that involve anxiety, obsessions, compulsions, or insomnia. Drugs known as selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs) help the brain use its serotonin more effectively. If obsessing over unpleasant thoughts plays a role in one's depression, the SSRIs can prove valuable as antidepressants, although simply regulating brain chemistry alone does not help the person learn new habits. When medication is needed to fix a problem with brain chemistry, the individual probably still needs counseling or behavioral retraining.
Excess: Having too much serotonin is likely to make the individual sleepy, sluggish, and unmotivated. It can interfere with the ability to focus attention and think clearly. Depression is a common problem among individuals with excessive serotonin, which is why some depressed individuals should avoid SSRIs -- they absolutely do not need to make their natural serotonin more powerful. Excessive serotonin is likely to produce hypersomnia, excessive sleep.

Really? Admittedly, up until now, all I knew is that the one thing that SSRI's, MDMA, cocaine, amphetamine and ephedrine have in common is that it's dangerous to take any of them at the same time as MAO-inhibitors, so I jumped to the conclusion that they must therefore all have much the same effect. Oh well - I guess I'm wrong on that one. Do SSRI's make you sleepy? That would be incredibly counterproductive for me. Suddenly I'm glad that I've never been prescribed SSRI's, and my faith in the doctor has been restored a little bit. :)

Mind you, all the same, he's prescribed beta blockers, which make me dizzy, so I don't take them. He says I suffer from anxiety. If I say I feel lethargic and sleepy during the day from time to time, he says that's because I don't sleep at night, and the reason I don't sleep is because I'm anxious, and the reason I'm anxious is because I don't take the meds he prescribes. Huh?

If ephedrine were really all that bad, it would be illegal, no? Not that I'd want that to happen, I hasten to add. The doctor could also say that I'm making a mountain out of a molehill, because that's a symptom of anxiety. And he could also say that feeling guilty about taking time for myself is another symptom of anxiety, and that's precisely what I'm doing here by making an issue of falling asleep during the day.

But I don't buy it. To me, that just seems to explain the problem away, but it doesn't solve it. The problem is that I can't see how I can get my life sorted out without resorting to ephedrine. But I think I'm building up a tolerance to it now. I imagine a scenario whereby ephedrine tolerance will lead me on to nose out billy, and I'll build up a tolerance to that too, and will end up in hospital for it. I've had to be rushed into hospital for amphetamine overdose in my life once already, and I'm not keen for it to happen again.

I'm nervous about drawing attention to this, for two reasons. One is that I don't want ephedrine to be made illegal anywhere, ephedrine is stopping me from crashing out in the afternoons, and right now, I don't see a way of coping without it. The other is that when people tell me I'm just lazy, I believe it, and I'm ashamed of it, but I don't see what I can do about it without taking ephedrine.

But I think it could be a slippery slope. If it was once in a while, it wouldn't be a problem, but that's not how it's panning out. :eek:

I hope no-one thinks this is a bolt out of the blue from me, it really isn't, because this has been my obsession for years. The only difference now is that I've been allowing it to go one stage further. This is what underpins my motivation to do low carb in the first place, it seems that I've tried practically everything else that I thought could restore my life, including low carb, but nothing seems to make me feel any better, except ephedrine.

Can anyone offer any advice? Thanks.

iwantmore
Tue, Aug-06-02, 21:37
Squidgy darlin'...

If you really want advice, you can have mine. Keep it simple and just subscribe to the idea that any mood or mind altering substance will eventually kick your head in. Taking ephedrine does not put you on a slippery slope. The minute someone with your background takes a drug to alter there mental/emotional/physical state, he's jumping off the cliff. You only wish there was a slope, hon, 'cause then you'd have room to justify your actions for a while before you had no choice but to stop. So don't start.

I realize the temptation. Oh god, do I. I'm right with you on the "lazy" accusation and the resulting feelings. F*$~ 'em! If you're lazy, then get okay with that fact. If you're physically exhausted, then keep trying to find out the natural substance that your body is producing too much or not enough of. Treat the illness, not the symptoms.

You're loved.

iwantmore

greentea
Wed, Aug-07-02, 12:10
Hi Squidgy, :wave:
From my own experience with ephedrine, as time goes on
you WILL need more and more to maintain the energy boost
you felt when you first started.
Have you ever tried Tonalin CLA (Vitaman stores)
Right away I was feeling better in the a.m. and didn't
feel like I was going to fall asleep at work in the aftrnoon.
Also, since I started LC-ing and cut out 99.9% of sugars
I feel unbelieveably energetic and no more light headed
feelings :daze:
Just a thought :)
greentea

wangeci
Wed, Aug-07-02, 15:25
Squidgy,
Be very very careful with Ephedrine. I know it is natural, but it is NOT good for you. If you asked your doctor, they too would agree. The reason you are receiving more energy from it is that it speeds up your heart rate. This is all it is doing. Your heart beats unnaturally fast, therefore giving you more energy and a higher metabolism. I think you should maybe consult your doctor more regarding this, as I am not one. But IMHO it is NOT good for you whatsoever.

Cindy

squidgy
Fri, Aug-09-02, 11:46
Thanks for the replies. What's tonalin cla?

I'm wondering whether or not it's a good idea to ask my doctor for reboxetine. Today I also bought Siberian ginseng, NADH and pure L-glutamine in powder form - which was all pretty pricey put together, haven't tried any of them yet, but I think that having a good dose of magnesium, fish oils and vitamins C and B complex is helping as it is.

Sure ephedrine, caffeine and alcohol are habit forming, but I don't think they're as habit forming as nicotine, so I think my main priority is to stay off smoking, it's my third week on the patch at the moment.

greentea
Sat, Aug-10-02, 07:51
Hi Squidgy, :wave:
Sorry to take so long getting back :(
CLA stands for Conjugated Linoleic Acid
Tonalin is the brand name and many think it is the best,
you can get CLA of other brands though.
Its a nutritional supplement w/ no stimulants. A fatty acid
from sun or saf flower oil. Many lose weight on it. Its not a FAST
acting pill or anything like that. Some people notice changes
in a week or two others after a month. I noticed the energy
benifit right away. My friend was doing nothing to lose weight other than taking CLA and dropped 25 lbs in 5 months.
You can type Tonalin CLA in any search engine and get more info.
Or just CLA if you don't care what brand.
greentea :)

allybibu
Sun, Aug-11-02, 01:10
Dear Squidgy,

I am not familiar with any of the products mentioned here so I am not here to give any advise. I just want to let you know I will also be around to share....

hope you will be able to stay off from your cigarette packs soon :daizy:

ally

Kristine
Tue, Aug-20-02, 13:20
If you might have depression or anxiety, you're playing with fire with the ephedrine. Aren't beta blockers for high blood pressure? If you have HBP, you're making that worse with ephedrine, too.

When I was taking it too often a while back, I had serious heart palpitations, dizziness and *very* bad mood swings. It wasn't the best of times in my life, but I undoubtedly made it worse for myself. I didn't connect it to the ephedrine at first, but in retrospect, I had some *serious* breakdowns and they all correlated with taking too much 'F'.

>>"The reason you are receiving more energy from it is that it speeds up your heart rate. This is all it is doing." Actually, it's also raising your blood pressure and making your body crank out a lot of stress hormones. This sets you up for major moodiness.

Ephedrine is basically legal speed. One has to be extremely careful with it.