PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Northern Virginia Low Carbers

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

barefoot1
Mon, Aug-05-02, 07:39
Hello!

Would like to share tips, local shopping suggestions, etc.

Thanks! barefootgrrrl :)

ReadyforLC
Thu, Aug-29-02, 10:44
I am starting my forth week of LC. Don't have a wealth of info on it yet but I'd like to share shopping tips in particular and whatever else I can.

Kaki
Thu, Aug-29-02, 21:23
Hey, I am from Northern VA and would love to chat LCing with ya! Have been on the program since July 7th.

Karin

ReadyforLC
Wed, Sep-04-02, 10:51
Does July 7th make you a senior member? Looks like you are doing great by your numbers. I have been on Atkins since 8/5.

Kaki
Wed, Sep-04-02, 14:19
Hey Magie,
Looks like you are doing great too! As for the senior member, you get that after you post 100 messages on the boards. Took me a while to figure it out.

Karin
In Manassas (not too far from you)

ReadyforLC
Wed, Sep-04-02, 15:04
OK so what is the chicken leg symbol?

Yes you are close.

barefoot1
Wed, Sep-04-02, 23:04
Hey! I'm down 11 lbs so far.......keep up the good work!

I am in Fairfax........ where do you shop?

I still get meat, veggies, salad stuff at Giant........but have to order other ingredients online since I cannot locate a store around here that sells very many LC items.

There is one healthfood store at Worldgate Shopping Center in Herndon that caters to the weightlifting crowd and they have some stuff.....flaxseeds, macadamia oil, Keto products......

Nice to meet you both!

Terry

Kaki
Thu, Sep-05-02, 03:55
Good morning ladies!
Maggie, click on your chicken bone and you will see these also have to do with how many times you have posted to the board.

Terry: 11 pounds down, super!!! I do all my shopping at regular grocery stores and we have a Healthway healthfood (in the Bull Run Plasa off of 234) store here in town that has a small isle of LC stuff, even pasta and bread. Look for the bread in the frozen section in the back. I also noticed that the 7-11's now have slenda for your coffee!

Have a great day!
Karin

ReadyforLC
Thu, Sep-05-02, 09:18
Good morning to both of you.

Karin I don't have a chicken leg, I have an egg. Probably the same deal though I guess and in this case the egg comes before the chicken.

I shop at Giant but I am thinking about other options. I stopped at Fresh Fields for something and looked around there and didn't find much. I have to go back with out my child next time.

I guess I shop at Walmart too since I bought LC bars there. I don't plan to buy those anymore though. I may get the shake mix at some point depending on the carbs. I think those things are all too high to fit into my WOE.

I just buy regular stuff. What do you guys buy? LC products or regular food?

ReadyforLC
Thu, Sep-05-02, 09:21
Hey ladies I have one more question. I haven't seen the LC bread yet. How many carbs does it have and are you using it successfully in your plan? Oh yeah, and does it taste good? OK, so it was more than one more question.

Kaki
Thu, Sep-05-02, 12:42
I buy regular foods. It's cheaper :D !! I did buy the bread not too long ago at Healthway, can't remember the brand, think it was Toms. It tastes okay, the slices are very thin and small. But, if you really need a slice of bread it does the trick. It's only 2 digestable carbs. I put the loaf in the freezer and then just take out what I need. It's expensive, 6 bucks a loaf! I won't be buying anymore though, I find eating bread makes me crave stuff again and want to over eat.

I also stay away from the bars and shakes. I'd rather eat real food and doing those would make me feel like I am really dieting and may set me up for failure later, like bingeing etc.

These last two days have been difficult for me as I just want to eat and eat!! Guess it's the stress of back to school and starting a new school system. I think I was more worried than my kids starting a new school!

Have you tried Trader Joe's? Wonder if they have any good LC products? I know what you mean about shopping with the kids. They don't have the patience for you to read all the labels.

Karin

barefoot1
Thu, Sep-05-02, 13:39
hey again!

wow! 6 bucks....ouch......... I am getting tired of eating tuna salad on lettuce though....... LOL

The only thing I found at Trader Joes was the protein powder - it was cheaper than the other places such as Vitamin Shoppe, etc.

Oh and another good thing about Trader Joes.........to keep from getting bored, I try to find little things that aren't too expensive......TJS sells olive spreads and good cheese - I like them, of course, on bread which I don't eat ........so I end up eating off the plate :)

I make my own protein bars using a recipe I found on this site......cheaper and tastier than the ones from the store.

I bought a bunch of stuff online just to get me started and to help with recipes: gum thickeners for the shakes, LC ketchup, etc.

The LC stuff is expensive, so I just try to buy the ingredients that don't get used very often.....condiments, cooking ingredients, etc.

How many carbs per day do you eat?

Thanks !

Kaki
Thu, Sep-05-02, 17:46
Hey Terry,
Yeah, I know 6 bucks for bread is awful!! But it has lasted me a long time. I just eat a slice every now and then.

Oh, we have a new grocery store here called Global Market. It's an Asian/Hispanic Market. They have a super seafood section and you can get huge shrimp for $4.89 a pound. I go there quite a bit to get the shrimp. They have all kinds of fish too if you like seafood. Their veggie isle is super too. If you ever get to Manassas you should definately check it out.

Had to laugh about the tuna on lettuce. I too eat that quite a bit and am tiring of it. Sometimes I use salmon instead of the tuna for a little taste change. It's hard for me to think of things to take to work for lunch. We rarely have left overs so I always have to plan ahead and sometimes I am just to lazy to do it.

If you like celery some of those spreads go quite well with that.

I try to keep my carbs around 20-25 for now. How about you?

Karin

barefoot1
Thu, Sep-05-02, 21:28
Hey Karin...........

thanks for the info! I really appreciate it!!

I am in the part of Fairfax that borders Centreville........when the traffic's not toooo bad.........I can scoot down 28 to Manassas Park and then over to 234..........is that store off 234 or 28?

ok, I have some portable lunch tricks I use. I'll post those tomorrow, I'm falling asleep over here :) LOL

Just had to tell you thought that we ate out tonight - at FuddRuckers........ bunless burgers and they have a free condiment bar.........you can pile a burger with lots of shredded lettuce, hot sauce, dill pickles, mustard.........

More Later - Bye ! Terry

Kaki
Fri, Sep-06-02, 04:28
Good Morning Terry,
The Global Market is in the Festival Lane shopping center on 234. It use to be Super Fresh. If you come from 28 to 234, it's the shopping center right after Manassas Mall on your right. You can't beat their shrimp prices, you would pay double that at Giant. Leftover shrimp in omlettes in the morning is super!

Would love some of your lunch ideas!

It's 6:30 AM and time to get everyone up to start their day. Will check back in later.

See ya!
Karin

barefoot1
Fri, Sep-06-02, 07:40
Hey Karin..........this is fun......he he

here's what I take to work.......

(1) piece of sliced cheese with dab of mustard rolled into a piece of sliced deli ham or turkey - put in a ziploc baggie

(2) ziploc baggies of almonds or pecans

(3) ziploc of sliced pepperoni, chunks of cheese or a few individually wrapped string cheesea

(4) ziploc of celery pieces stuffed with SF peanut butter, or cream cheese or cream cheese with herbs

(5) homemade protein bars

(6) cheeter crackers (bought online)

When this gets boring, I might go to McDonalds and bring back a bunless burger or bunless grilled chicken and/or side salad with ranch dressing

Sometimes I'll get a serving of egg drop or hot n sour soup from the local Chinese restaurant

hope this helps - it is definitely easier to eat at home!

have a great weekend!

Terry

Kaki
Fri, Sep-06-02, 18:12
Hi Terry,
Yes this is fun :D !

Ugh, long day at work, glad to be home!! I had a huge salad from Giant for lunch today. The one here in town puts grilled chicken on their salad bar now. It's very good! I probably did a bad thing for dinner though, I picked up Chinese. I ate the beef and broccoli without rice and very little of the sauce. It was a small order too. Wonder how much damage that was :exclm: . Oh, well behaved all day so I guess I am alright.

Thanks for the lunch tips! Don't ya just love the way you can freeze those nuts and then you can just take them out and eat them right away, no thaw time. I read somewhere to keep them in the freezer and that they will keep longer.

Have you tried the zucchini lasgana? It's so good, you make your lasagna like you would ordinarily do but you subsitute zucchini strips for the noodles. Even hubby love it and he is not on Atkins. Sometimes I will make a large dish of this because it freezes well and it makes a wonderful lunch to take to work. For the sauce I use Paul Newman's marinara sauce, it's the lowest carbs out of all the ones on the grocery shelf.

Well, it's been a long week so I am off to lay on the couch and watch some TV and then off to bed early. I am beat! Talk to you later. And you have a good weekend too!

Karin

barefoot1
Sun, Sep-08-02, 08:35
Karin......... I've heard that Chinese food has starch in the sauces....... so you can probably cut down on carbs by eating as little of the sauce as possible and of course - no rice :(

The "sweet and sour" stuff of course has sugar.

All of this is a shame because I do love Chinese food!

Oh well, small concession I guess :)

The lasagna looks good - I think I'll try that when the weather cools

have fun!
Terry

ReadyforLC
Tue, Sep-10-02, 11:46
Does any know if there is a Chinese sauce that does not have sugar in it? I know you can usually get your food steamed without any salt, sugar, or fat. But that's very boring of course. So I was wondering if any of the sauces are made without sugar. My favorite before LC use to be ginger and garlic sauce but I think it might have been sweet.

Kaki
Tue, Sep-10-02, 13:56
Hi Ladies,
Have to confess. I ate a cup cake today. I just couldn't stand it anymore. Too many birhtdays in a row with cake in the house. Ahhhh! Well, now that is out of my system and I must say, it wasn't as grand as I had thougt it would be. Hopefully next time I will remember that :D

I had forgot about the starch in the Chinese food!! I too love Chinese food and use to eat it a lot. Next time I will ask for the sauce on the side.

Maggie, I am not sure wihich sauces have sugar or not, you would have to ask the restaurant. Like Terry mentioned, don't forget they use starch for their thickener.

Today we are having chili from Dr. Atkins cook book. It taste pretty good but not really like the chili that I am use to. It has big chunks instead of ground beef and of course no beans.

See ya!
Karin

ReadyforLC
Wed, Sep-11-02, 10:56
That's something I consider when thinking about cheating. I want it to be really good. Actually I felt that way before LC too becasue I didn't want to spend the "fat" on something so so. I feel OK today as far as the sugar monster but I have been pretty plagued by it.

I know I can ask at the restaurant about the chinese sauces but I was afraind I wouldn't get the real scoop on it.

barefoot1
Wed, Sep-11-02, 19:36
I think the only way to be safe around Chinese food is to order the sauce on the side and dip with your fork ( kinda like I used to do with salad dressing!)

It's ironic, isn't it? gave up sugar, get to eat fat again......it's always something.......he he

When I get around to homemade Chinese, I'll let you guys know how it works out.......I plan on thickening the sauce with xanthan gum and sweetening it with Splenda.

I found a chili recipe online that is low carb and uses ground beef and black soy beans.....very low carb...I will have to look for it.

Don'tcha love all this weather we've had today??

but the TV is so sad......

well, don't worry about your cheats, I guess they are inevitable.

I miss my Starbucks in the morning, so planning to try coffee w/cream tomorrow.

Also, made homemade protein bars tonight, they're chilling and firming up in the fridge right now.......I'll let you know how they are.......

Can you all recommend restaurants in the area where you can get good LC meals? places with good steaks, chicken, seafood, etc?

My hubster's 41 this Sunday :)

peace and good LCing, Terry

barefoot1
Sun, Sep-29-02, 06:27
Hi! I'm back........ are you still here? Karin? ReadyforLC?

Just a note - we went to Manassas yesterday - I was thinking of you - we ate lunch at La Tolteca on 234 - I had the carne asada with guacamole salad on the side, didn't eat the rice.

Nice change of pace - food was pretty good - service was good.

Thought I'd let you know.

I really need to try the bread - I am dying to eat my tuna on a sandwich - where is the Healthways store?

Thanks, Terry

Kaki
Sun, Sep-29-02, 11:29
Hey Terry!
Yup, I am still hanging around! I have not eaten Mexican food in a long time. Would not know what to pick. Ate at I Hop last week and had their chicken faheta omlete. It was sooooo good! Of course it comes with three pancakes which I told them not to bring. I would definately eat that again.

The Healthway store is in the Bull Run Festival shopping center which is the one with Office Depot and the large shopper Food Wearhouse in it.

How have you been, everything okay? I am so busy with just plain stuff! Stuff to do at home, stuff to do at work. Not much fun. Looking forward to winter and winter hobbies :D .

Have a great day!
Karin

ReadyforLC
Mon, Sep-30-02, 09:09
Terri and Karin,

I hear you about the busy with life stuff. There's always more to do than I get done. I rebelled on Saturday and sat around the house all day - didn't even do laundry. Kids definately give your life a busy quality.

I haven't eaten Mexican since LCing. I like Anita's but I'm not sure what I can eat there now.

I still haven't eated any bread or tried to buy the LC bread. I love (loved) bread but I surprisingly haven't missed it. I don't know what the deal is in that area. I tried LCing several years ago and I hated eating eggs without toast. Everywhere I turned it seemed I wanted bread. Now it hardly crosses my mind. I only lc'd for about 6 weeks last time. I definately don't want to eat bread that tastes "OK" so I may never get the LC bread.

Kaki
Sat, Mar-15-03, 06:28
Hey Terri and Maggie,
Are you guys still around?

I fell off the wagon for several months :( , gained 10 pounds back. I am amazed that it wasn't worse. Now I am back on track. Looking forward to the warmer weather and getting out there to do some hiking.

Hope all is well with the both of you!

Kaki

HopeSummer
Mon, Mar-17-03, 14:48
Hi,
I live in mclean and thought i'd post a store i've been to a few times. it's in old town alexandria and its called cash grocers. it's basically a health food store w/ all kinds of exotic, hard to find things. it has bulk nuts, some atkins-type cereal, 'flour' and fresh produce. it also has difficult to find supplements, vitamins, herbal remedies, that sort of thing. it's pretty expensive, but a cool shop to look around, get ideas from and buy fresh food. my first impression of it was that it was kind of odd..very small and 'hippie-ish' but a fun place to go :)
Hope

Kaki
Tue, Mar-25-03, 05:01
Thanks Hope, if I am ever out that way I will check it out. The Healthway store in Manassas is starting to have less and less low carb stuff. I wonder why? I hate having to pay such high shipping cost for stuff over the net. The people at Healthway really don't seem interested in ordering anything for you either.

Kaki

Scarlet007
Mon, Jan-16-06, 14:55
I am moving to Northern Virginina area in about 5 months and thought I would restart this thread to see if there are any low carbers in the area. I would love to find out about the area and chat about LC stuff.

Fikirimi
Mon, Apr-10-06, 10:51
Hi Scarlett. I'm in Alexandria. Would love to chat about LC, shopping in Northern Virginia or whatever. I've been a member of this board only about a month, so I don't know if the others who previously replied to this thread are still around.

Anyone else in the Northern Virginia area?

Paddypower
Thu, May-18-06, 16:53
HI -
I live in Fairfax. You guys still around?

Only on day 6, so may not be a big help.

Fikirimi
Fri, May-19-06, 03:21
Paddypower, I'm still here. Day 6 or day 60 doesn't matter. The objective here is to find others in your geographical area with whom to commiserate, share tips on local shopping or whatever.