PDA

View Full Version : Would looooove to have a buddy!

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums

Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

jaskme
Sun, Aug-04-02, 15:29
Hi everyone,

I'm looking for someone that I can check in with on a regular basis, someone that wants the same daily "check". I am 34, live in Maine, am married, childless and have PCOS. I am following Schwarzbein, but don't care if my "buddy" is following another plan, it would be good to learn about other ways of eating. I have a lot of weight to lose (~150), finding someone in a similar situation would probably be good, but it isn't a requirement.

Soooo......if you are looking for someone to check in with, to give a listen to what's bugging you and someone to share your successes with........let's talk! (sounds kind of like a personal ad doesn't it??)

Jen

greentea
Sun, Aug-04-02, 21:31
Good luck!

itzuptome
Sun, Aug-04-02, 21:49
Hi jaskme,

I'm 40(ouch, it's still new), a mother of 3 lovely kids age 11, 5 and 3. I have a lot to lose and need some support with patience and the day to day process. I'd like to check in regularly with each other and share the ups and downs. I'm starting induction again tomorrow( you can read my introduction in the intro section). Anyway, after a lot of research, and I mean a lot, I really believe low carb is the way to go.

What plan are you trying? How are you feeling? What are your short term goals? Let me know, Itzuptome

jaskme
Mon, Aug-05-02, 07:59
Itzuptome,

I like your screen name :) Thanks for responding to my call for a buddy. I looked at your intro, I can definitely relate to being a carb addict, my problem is that I'm a food addict.

I am currently on the Schwarzbein Principle, have been seriously since about the beginning of March. When I first decided that low-carbing sounded like the thing for me I went to the bookstore and read a bunch of different plans, when I was done I felt that Schwarzbein was the one I could live with. When I'm on the plan I feel fantastic, extra energy and just generally feeling good. When I go off (which, I have to admit, I have several times) I feel awful, almost a "hangover" feeling the next day.

So far I've lost about 20 pounds, not following the plan completely all the time. My short term goal is 50 pounds, though I am not trying to focus too much on the weight loss as the way I feel and inches lost (measured by how my clothes are fitting). I find if I think too much about the weight I get obsessed.

I have PCOS, it has been a big contributor to my weight problem, before I started showing the symptoms I was not skinny but healthy and very athletic (~150#), it has definitely changed my life.

Let's see........I'll do the food from yesterday now......(it was a bad day)

Breakfast (out): omelet with cheese, bacon, mushrooms and onions, 2 slices of bacon and 1 slice of white toast (it was all they had)

Lunch: nothing really, more like snacking throughout the day....I had sunflower seeds, some cottage cheese, and a couple of salami/cream cheese rollups.

Dinner: beef stew that was my husband's concoction (it was actually pretty good) it had tomatoes, zucchini, summer squash, and onions in it......I tried a recipe for egg "noodles", won't be having that again!!

This is where there was a problem.......hot fudge sundae!!!!!!!!! My first experience with sugar in at least a couple of months. Needless to say it was not a good choice, I didn't sleep well and have that hangover feeling today (you'd think I would learn wouldn't you??)

Sorry about the length of the message, I can tend to get wordy..........Anyway, hope to hear more from you. Have a fantastic day!

Jen

itzuptome
Mon, Aug-05-02, 12:08
I actually saw this name on a license plate the other day, and thought it was great. So its not original, but I like it too.

Congratulations on your 20 pound loss! Don't wait for 50 pounds, I would celebrate that already! I'm thinking that my goals/milestones will be 10 or 20 pounds so I can celebrate and have lots of wins. I don't know much about Schwarzbein, I'm going to go Atkins for now. I think I need the induction part to just get cleanly off the sugar and carbs which I've been OD'ing on lately.

I too used to be very active, as a competitive volleyball player and ski racer. I really miss it. My body is just too big to do these things. I'm really quite ashamed at times but I have to stop beating myself up. I think it's a good idea not to focus on the weight loss, but how we feel and celebrate the little wins, even if they're just passing on the dessert.

Hopefully low carb will help decrease your PCOS symptoms. I have read some entries where that has happened. Don't know how long it takes though. It's great to just spill this stuff out isn't it! I really can't relate to my husband about it because he's skinny and doesn't understand it one bit. So thanks for being there.

itzuptome
Mon, Aug-05-02, 12:10
Do you know what those egg things are under our names with each post?

jaskme
Mon, Aug-05-02, 18:17
Howdy,

I think the egg things indicate how many posts you have made in the forum......not positive, but it sounds right :)

Sounds like Atkins is the thing for you......that's the thing to keep in mind, what matters is what works for you, it doesn't matter what other people tell you. I have actually been berated in forums (other than this one) for choosing a program other than Atkins......I just say to each his or her own!!

You know what's funny? I have no problem with my body image as I am now, I guess that a lot of years of living like this will do that to a person. I could care less what other people think of me and the way I look, the only person that matters is me when it comes to that (of course, I'm glad my husband still loves the way I look!!!)

Speaking of husbands, mine is a Type II diabetic, and has been trying to follow Schwarzbein with me. Not too successful yet, but I'm sure he will get it soon. It's a little easier for him, giving up the sweet stuff.....because he has to or it will kill him (not a great situation, but the ultimate motivation, I think).

The thing that I've found works for me is that I don't look at this as a "diet", it is the way I'm going to eat for the rest of my life. Does that mean I'll never have another (fill in the blank)? Absolutely not.....what it does mean is that becomes an every once in a great while thing rather than a couple of times a week.

I'm hoping this way of eating, combined with metformin, will help to control my PCOS.....I'm tired of taking birth control pills......like I said somewhere in this forum before, kind of ironic that one of the symptoms of PCOS is an inability to get pregnant, and the thing they use to "treat" it is used to keep you from getting pregnant!!

Ok, I tend to get wayyyyyyy too wordy, sorry about that. Tell me a little bit about your experience, I would love to hear. Also, do you want to post food intake in here to be accountable? Just let me know, I'm willing to share mine with the world :spin:

Have a great night, Jen

uanoel
Wed, Aug-07-02, 03:07
Jen--I would love to do a daily checkin with each other. I actually had my weight under control for two years (at a normal person size) and that happened with a friend that called every morning to keep us both honest about exercising. I quick note each day would help just the same. Email me at uanoel(at)ivillage.com if you are interested. This board is the only thing that keeps me sane some days.

Click on some of my previous posts--I am having a tough time but I will not be defeated!!

Have a healthy day!!

Lee

jaskme
Fri, Aug-09-02, 08:58
Lee,

Whew! Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner....I had a hard time adjusting to my new dosage of metformin, but I'm back and kickin' now. I would love to have someone to check in with every day. I will e-mail you today so that we can get started!

Jen

uanoel
Fri, Aug-09-02, 11:26
Looking forward to getting started on the emails Jen--
talk to you soon

Lee